IGNORED

Explosion Takes Out AtariAge [Updated]

Albert

AALogo3.gifIf you tried visiting AtariAge between Saturday afternoon and today (Monday) around 2:30pm CST, you may have noticed that you could not reach the site. At 4:55pm CST on Saturday there was an electrical explosion at The Planet's data center in Houston where AtariAge's dedicated server is housed. This explosion and resulting fire damaged a significant portion of the building's electrical infrastructure, and all 9,000 servers hosted at this location went offline. Only last night was The Planet able to start restoring power to servers (fortunately none were damaged, nor was anyone injured), with the AtariAge server getting power and network connectivity restored a bit before 3:00pm today. This is, by far, the longest AtariAge has ever been offline since its launch over seven years ago, and hopefully we'll never have to suffer through such an outage again!

Update: Yep, the site was unavailable again for an extended period of time, between about 2:45am early Tuesday morning until 5:30pm. Turns out the temporary backup generator that The Planet was using to power "Phase 1" of their Houston data center developed a fault and the generator could not be repaired. It then took some time for them to get another generator on site and operating. Hopefully we'll be online now without further interruptions of this nature. Other hosting options are now being explored.

Glad nobody was hurt.

We had a small electrical fire in our server room last summer (but no explosion). Still, because it had been caused by sub-standard wiring, we were down for a month while everything (from the outlets back to the building main panel) was ripped out and re-wired from scratch. The biggest pain though was having to disassemble our servers and blow all of the fire extinguisher dust out of them. That stuff went everywhere.

I fully expect some additional downtime as they work on permanently restoring power to this facility and fix all the damage created by this "incident". My understanding of the situation is that they are using generators at the moment to power the first floor of the building ("Phase 1"), which is where the AtariAge server lives, and where most of the damage occurred. Sounds like they plan on switching off the generators this weekend (assuming they can get everything repaired), so I would expect at least a brief period of downtime then, as I'm assuming their UPS infrastructure is presently not connected (although I could be wrong).

At any rate, it's nice to be back online..!

..Al

Welcome back! I had a feeling you guys used The Planet when I heard of the damage to the the data center. I'm just glad that everything is okay now and that repairs are underway.

Lesson learned: Even the best planning isn't always good enough for dealing with the consumption of many megawatts of power. ;)

I am happy no one got hurt.

Electricity can be deadly and that includes electrical explosions. I heard of electrical explosions before due to the I know someone who used be an electrician. The amount of servers down didn't shock me considering the damage an electrical explosion can cause.

Hopefully, this doesn't happen again or for a long time.

Edited by 8th lutz

Man, I never realized how much I use this site. Forum checks, looking up rarities, and most importantly, sharing stories of good finds and buys. Had a couple of nice ones this weekend and could not wait to share, but alas!

Then this morning the Travi cart showed up and I couldn't post the news. But now I can--Travi will be enjoying the Bay Area for the next few days!

A thought-long-dead secret society, the Intelliluminati, have claimed responsibility.

'We must follow the one true path of the sixteen directions. SIXTEEN! Much more than your pathetic eight!'

(hmm cant attach image... image coming later.)

Once upon a time I worked in tech support at the provider that became Houston's division of The Planet (at the time it was RackShack). Thank God I wasn't working there when this hit!

Anyway, it's good to see AtariAge back!