IGNORED

OMG! DiCaprio to star as Nolan Bushnell!

I don't get the Leo haters here, he did a good job with Hughes and he was good in the movie where he played a scam artist to name just two.

I didn't see any posts where people said they hated him. I must have missed them. Can you point them out? I saw posts where they hoped he wasn't going to play Nolan Bushnell because Nolan Bushnell is kind of dark looking and sounds kind of like Donald Sutherland. Super-white DiCaprio with his high-pitched voice that could break glass is pretty much the opposite of Nolan Bushnell.

I don't care who plays Nolan Bushnell, I want to see the movie. Still, Leonardo DiCaprio is a pretty good actor, so they could have done a lot worse.

Alright everybody, than who? He kind of looks like Tom Select but he's too old now.

Allan

Patrick Fugit of Almost Famous? That was my first thought.

I dont know who Patrick Fugit is or what Almost Famous is either, nt movie.

He is an actor. It is a movie. :P

-T

wow! Finally we'll get to see how video gaming really started.

No more will we associate video gaming with a variety of nerdy stereotypes.

From now on video gaming was created by a bunch of androgynous pretty boys who snorted coke to disco music.

...I'm not even sure if I'm being sarcastic anymore...

Here's my idea for the movie poster--the name tag really helps remind us that we're actually looking at "Nolan Bushnell"

I have a feeling we're going to keep forgetting otherwise:

leonardodicaprio1copyed7.th.jpg

Actually, the more I look at the poster, the more I want to see the movie...

I just hope that when I get good and famous I can have the current DiCaprio equivalent play as me.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm going to watch this movie. :cool:

You know, back in 1993 when the Collector-scene was taking shape I used to joke with one of my friends at the University about how cool would it be that in the next decade people would make a museum dedicated to Atari stuff and maybe even a Hollywood movie about videogames, back then we laughed about it thinking well that may never happen, back then mostly we got our games from old friends you knew in your city you didn´t even needed wads of cash to get Atari stuff but you would exchange it for other items like new music CDs, you had to hunt carts in Flea Markets for $2 it didn´t matter if it was rare or not all carts were $1 if dirty or beaten up and $2 if it looked shiny, and if you were lucky some Supermarket in our city put some old inventory of Atari games at slashed prices for like $6-$10 new in box, mostly Asteroids, Missile Commands and the likes; But now all those far fetched dreams are turning real, now you can see Documentaries on Discovery Channel about the History of Videogames, focusing in a big way on how Atari influenced the industry, several websites like atariage dedicated to Atari, Videogame Console remakes, Emulators for every classic console, etc. This is so good for Atarians and the Classic Gamers community I hope more projects like these come to life in the future.

This might just be the revival of atari...I mean with a movie coming out and the new lead by phil harrison...pray we will see atari back in action!!

Maby phil has some secret plans to a new sony console and he stole it and is going to bring it to atari lol..just a crazy thought :D

Ralph Who ???? ;)

Why? The movie is about Atari.

haha, my point exactly.

We all know the truth, even if Nolan has memory issues.

All kidding aside, I'm fine with it as long as they don't say he invented pong and is the "father of video games"... bastard son who was good at marketing, maybe.

All kidding aside, I'm fine with it as long as they don't say he invented pong and is the "father of video games"... bastard son who was good at marketing, maybe.

Being chronologically first only counts for so much. I respect Ralph Baer but all of the Odyssey units all the way from the Brown Box through to the O^2 have far less lasting historical importance than what Atari accomplished during Nolan's era.

Edited by mos6507

I respect Ralph Baer but all of the Odyssey units all the way from the Brown Box through to the O^2 have far less lasting historical importance than what Atari accomplished during Nolan's era.

Yes but that was all marketing, not invention. Ralph INVENTED, and was the father of, video games. He was ripped off big time. His patents were ground breaking and he never really received his due in terms of recognition or compensation.

Bushnell and all the folks at Atari in the beginning deserve a LOT of credit for marketing and creativity... no doubt about it, but when it comes to dolling out credit where credit is due, Atari as a company and Nolan in particular have a history of not recognizing the people whom without, would never have allowed him to do what he did when he did it.

Old-school engineers were not slick movie-star types. Leo worked for Aviator but this.... eh.

If they really have to make this movie, why not go with a Seth Rogen or Jack Black kind of actor... Rogen seems contractually obligated to be a stoner in every movie, so he'd fit right in as a 70's engineer.

Also, I wonder if Scorsese is directing since he an Leo are attached at the hip... In which case this movie will end with Nolan exiting an elevator, Steve Jobs shooting him, Steve Wozniak shooting Steve Jobs, Bill Gates shooting Steve Wozniak, then (spoiler warning) Al Alcorn shooting Gates later on in his home.

Best Picture 2009.

Edited by Benheck

... Steve Wozniak shooting Steve Jobs, Bill Gates shooting Steve Wozniak, then (spoiler warning) Al Alcorn shooting Gates later on in his home.

Best Picture 2009.

ANY movie in which Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both get shot deserves critical acclaim.

when will you be sending your screenplay to Scorsese?

:)

Yes but that was all marketing, not invention.

No it wasn't. Even though most think Computer Space wasn't a very good game, from a hardware perspective it far exceeded anything Ralph did up to the O^2, and set the stage for later innovation. Atari Pong was really a temporary step back in the technology perspective, but after that, from Space Race onward, Atari consistently pushed the envelope in the arcades, and then into home systems. Ralph didn't even enter into the coinop sphere (that I'm aware of) unless it was just a matter of slapping his GI chip into a cabinet.

computer_game_8.jpg

ATARI%20-%20SPACE%20RACE.jpg

Tank_01.jpg

ATARI%20-%20SPRINT%202.jpg

asteroids.jpg

His patents were ground breaking and he never really received his due in terms of recognition or compensation.

As a gamer I can't play a patent document. I can play all of the great games that Atari built and many of them stand the test of time, unlike the Odyssey units. He made plenty of money defending those patents. I respect the guy, but a string of successful patent lawsuits are not a testament to someone's historical importance.

Even though there was some theft at the birth of Atari, they more than made up with it within their first couple years, whereas Ralph was never really able to compete in the technology arms race of the industry he helped create.

Really, the industry has its share of innovators. Ralph has his place in the pantheon beside Atari, Midway, Exidy, Cinematronics, and others. There is no need to pin a badge on just one entity.

Videogames were probably inevitable. The approach taken just varied. Ralph focused on home pong systems, raster systems. Atari focused (initially) on coinop raster systems. Midway was the first to start putting microprocessors and full bitmapped screens in coinop systems. Cinematronics focused on coinop vector systems, inspired by Space War, not Ralph's Pong. There was an explosion in innovation and not all of it should be attributed to Ralph. You might think you're defending his reputation to do so, but you also pay a disrespect to the hard work of so many people who came later. It's like saying nobody who has ever worked in the computer industry deserves any respect other than Charles Babbage or nobody in television other than Baird (and his mechanical television) is worth a damn.

Edited by mos6507

Also, I wonder if Scorsese is directing since he an Leo are attached at the hip... In which case this movie will end with Nolan exiting an elevator, Steve Jobs shooting him, Steve Wozniak shooting Steve Jobs, Bill Gates shooting Steve Wozniak, then (spoiler warning) Al Alcorn shooting Gates later on in his home.

Best Picture 2009.

:rolling:

I prefer the alternate ending where, 12 years after being left for dead, Steve Jobs emerges from the audience at Comdex and shoots Bill Gates square in the pocket protector mere seconds before Windows 98 crashes during a live demonstration.

But, either ending will do. :)

well, mos6507, at least we can agree to disagree, and at least you point out that Ralph helped create the industry. That's very often more credit than he usually gets.

All those games you listed and posted large pics of were games coded by other people... yeah they were working for atari but Nolan didn't code them and the people that did, did not get credit until many years later. [mostly due to websites like this one]

I'm not a fan of Bushnell as you can tell and I think he squandered his gifts and his fortune, which he made primarily on the backs of others who were more talented.

of course this is just one man's opinion... mine.

All those games you listed and posted large pics of were games coded by other people...

Yeah, it's called delegation. It's something CEOs do after a company gets beyond the shoestring stage. I guess no CEO should ever get any credit unless they performed every role in their companies singlehandedly. After all, actually keeping the business solvent isn't worth anything if you are a tech company. Who needs managers when you've got brains?

You're kind of still living in a timewarp when videogame history was still mired in a cloud of mystery. After all the conventions and documentaries (like mine) the people who did the actual work have gotten plenty of exposure and I would expect a movie like this to dramatize the figures around Nolan like Al Alcorn and Jay Miner otherwise I'd be seriously pissed off.

Then again, I remember Shadowlands where they never showed Tolkien, CS Lewis' buddy, even though they had the actor from Wargames in it playing a different role (even though he looks a lot like Tolkien).

Edited by mos6507

I'm really wondering how they are going to make this into a movie as well. For example, are they going to go into the era where the Tramiels take over atari and screw the company over? And who would make a good actor for Jack Tramiel? I vote Don Rickles :)

Second, I wonder who they are talking to in order to get an accurate history of this movie? are they going to recreate the dumping of Catridges into a landfill?

I hope this movie isn't total crap.

Maybe they could get Kate Blanchet or Angelina Jolie to do an oscar winning drag performance with maybe a little "nip slip" in the hot tub scenes! LOL!

I think its awesome and frankly I don't care who plays Bushnell. Long as the story is told and told right.

Could sort of be a prequel to pirates of silicon valley to a degree.

Hey movie makers(no doubt you are following AA!)... Looking for some capital or someone to play a lazy chubby guy with clumsy ways -LOL?

I really wouldn't mind a share of this one though! Great demographic!!! :)

I think Curt should probably play Jay Miner for shits and giggles! :)