IGNORED

OMG! DiCaprio to star as Nolan Bushnell!

I figure we might as well get the hops and barley out for some HOME BREW in light of the movie!

Caption: "He's been beaten and bruised but will Chuck E. Cheese feed America? Play and see!"

post-12761-1213247652_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noelio

Can't you just hear the movie trailer teaser in the movie theatre with that man with the really deep voice?

"One man.... One game.... One Man and One Game Placed in a Small Tavern with Tennis Like Action.

This Summer.... Don't miss the movie everybody will be talking about.

With Leonardo DeCaprio as Nolan Bushnell. And Don Rickles as Jack Tramiel...

Nolan Busnell is---Atari....

"Prepare to be Attacked!"

Rated PG.

Coming soon, to a Theatre near you.

I guess I just don't get how they could build an entire film around this, but then again, I ask myself that about a lot of films.

How can they make a film about it?

This is all that needs to be said: Meetings in hot tubs.

I think it could be an excellent and entertaining look at the birth of the video game industry, and the eccentric people who were there.

I'm sure, back then, Nolan was quite an interesting guy. Probably walked around saying "Video games are the way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future." ;)

Edited by Brian R.

Yep,

For this site to be here in 2008, even survive an electrical explosion it MUST be an interesting story hehehe.

Atari still has us all by the short and curlies!

Nolan & Al are completely responsible for the industry that became. They carved into the stone first and shaped the future.

Though it was those who simply put themselves out there that got there first when a tidal wave was coming, with or without them. I'm glad those guys got there first and not some unimaginative board room types! (no offense to modern board room types but hey, 70's boardroom types? Bleh!)

I think this will be pretty good. Like Nolan or hate him, it IS an interesting story.

From what I've read, and Nolan's CGE speech a few years ago, it seems like there's enough material for a hella funny movie.

1. Building the first Pong arcades by buying B&W televisions and taking them apart for the picture tubes. Nolan: "It turns out that black and white TVs were an easy item to fence ... we were having an inventory control problem for awhile"

2. Production line workers with slightly warped 2600 cases doing the "VCS karate chop" to put them together

3. Employees running to the banks to cash their paychecks while there was still money that week.

4. Steve Jobs sticking his bare feet up on the bosses desk and whinning about wanting to go to India

5. Jobs and Woz building the Apple I with "borrowed" components.

6. Jobs and Woz asking Nolan to fund Apple. He declined, convinced it wouldn't succeed.

7. New college grad proudly giving his parents a tour. "Look Mom and Dad, there's our CEO over there in the hot tub" Nolan: "Want to join us." Parents horrified.

8. Nolan after Atari giving the same This-is-going-to-change-your-life speech every year for a different product.

Edited by jsoper

For me,it does matter alot who plays Nolan,the character has to look alot like the person played,or its just not believable or convincing IMO.Its true like said above that they'de have to get someone popular to play him to get people in the theaters,but im sure theres got to be someone popular out there better fitting than DiCaprio,he too young also,they'll probably use aging makeup on Leo for the older Nolan years anyway if they do use him.

Edited by Rik

Very cool... They are talking to Bushnell about this project, and isn't being pulled out of someone's butt.

It would be cool if Bushnell does make a Cameo in it. Not sure how they could write that in, but maybe they could put Bushnell as the player in Andy Capps Tavern who puts the first quarter into the machine... now that would mean something.

Well I will tell you one thing, If the story is portrayed accurately, Steve Jobs will be a near non-existent player in the story,

There should be lots of hot tubs, pot smoking, battles with banks who thought Nolan was in the mob etc.

I emailed Nolan when the news came out and gave him some choice words, hopefully he will have some feedback into the real storyline.

I like that. Him putting in the first quarter. Or maybe he could be the hot tub salesman!!!

Very cool... They are talking to Bushnell about this project, and isn't being pulled out of someone's butt.

It would be cool if Bushnell does make a Cameo in it. Not sure how they could write that in, but maybe they could put Bushnell as the player in Andy Capps Tavern who puts the first quarter into the machine... now that would mean something.

All kidding aside, I'm fine with it as long as they don't say he invented pong and is the "father of video games"... bastard son who was good at marketing, maybe.

I respect Ralph Baer but all of the Odyssey units all the way from the Brown Box through to the O^2 have far less lasting historical importance than what Atari accomplished during Nolan's era.

Yes but that was all marketing, not invention. Ralph INVENTED, and was the father of, video games. He was ripped off big time. His patents were ground breaking and he never really received his due in terms of recognition or compensation.

Ralph Baer was also a resident of New Hampshire when he conceived the first videogame. :) The last time I saw a special on the birth of videogames, Ralph was still living in New Hampshire but had no interest in today's games.

Edited by retrogeek

This movie is a give me! I am so happy when I read the announcement on this! This can EASILY be turmed into a movie ( and should have been done a long time ago). If no one knows how and why. Please watch the DVD "Once upon Atari". You could simply do a movie JUST on the work environment. Then adding in how they got paid, pushing cartridges out the door, programming the games, employees jumping the ship to make 3rd party games, etc etc... Not only can you make a movie from this, they wont even fit everything in! For the younger generation that wasnt around during this era, do yourself a favor, watch "Once upon Atari". You will see what I am talking about.

Bushnell may have copied pong (from magnavox) but Baer got he's revenge on Bushnell by stealing his/atari's 'Touch me' idea and sold it to Mattel (remember simon)

And ofcourse Bushnell's computer space idea wasn't original...just the first time Steve Russells 'SpaceWar' game Had gfx

A recall a story that Bushnell was caught canoodling his then girlfriend in one of Atari's famous 'bath tubs' at the time he was negotiating with Warners to buy Atari a local paper did a story and piccy and Bushnell's recently divorced 1st wife saw the piccy/story and tried to bring a halt to the Warner's buyout...claiming that she owned half of bushnells stake...Apparently Warners did a separate settlement with her....I wonder how much she got and whether she squandered it like NB did