IGNORED

My Boxed Collection Begins!

classicgamingguy

I said I wasn't going to do it, but....

Recently (off Ebay, no less) I purchased a boxed Star Raiders with the video touch pad (manual's in there, but no comic book, alas). And shortly after that, I purchased a boxed Pitfall with instructions...then shortly after THAT, I purchased a boxed Berzerk with the instructions...

Now, I promised myself I'd collect "cart only", but the games with the boxes and manuals is too appealing to ignore. So, I collect one cart, then the boxed set. I'm only collecting certain boxed games, not the entire library, though. I can't believe I went back on my own word! :roll: Something about the boxes is calling me. Am I addicted? Crazy? Just plain Atari 2600 NUTS? Well, tell me your stories!

What have you said you were going to collect, then went an entirely different direction? What did you NOT intend to collect but are doing so (or did) anyway?

Steve :D

One can always find the games,but its hard to find both together,in the wild,that are in good condition.To me,the boxes are just as important to get as the games.There are alot of pretty cool looking boxes.I see alot of loose games being ignored on ebay and such places now.Got to be careful that you are getting the ORIGINAL box as well,now that boxes can be duplicated to a T now,with todays printers and software!that anyone can do.If you have the know how,make your own!Thats what ill be doing,for my own interest,but i will make sure it says on box that it is a copy!in case i resell,when i get older,or if i lose interest,out of respect for my fellow collectors.

Edited by Rik

Yeah, tell me about it:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 220241067639

I saw this one about to end, and while there's nothing special in it, worked out to $2 a game shipped. I asked myself: if you saw those in a thrift for that, would you buy them? The answer was yes.

They are just an amusement for me, really. I don't see myself ever paying the big bucks for a box but I can live with a couple of bucks apiece...they look nice on the shelf.

I've bought boxed games off ebay before. They were The Official Frogger and Commie Mutants. The Starpath library is the only one I've even considered getting boxed. The rest of the time, I usually will only grab boxes if they have manuals that I don't already have.

I'm only collecting certain boxed games, not the entire library, though.

Give it a few more years. You'll be eating your word on that too.

:D :P

You know, I'm not one to look too far ahead into the future, but you're probably absolutely right. I haven't even finished collecting all the loose carts I want, and I'm ALREADY starting on boxed games? What's up with that? I had no intention of doing that when I began this!! :x

So far I've been lucky..well, as far as the first boxed game I got off Ebay (Star Raiders). It was well-packed, protected, and in darn good shape for it's age. Heck...it even has the little hologram sticker on the top of the box that says "Atari". That was a kick in the pants to see that again.

I won't pay outrageous amounts for a boxed game, either. So far, anyway. Good thing the wife is away on a business trip right now. :D

I'm only collecting certain boxed games, not the entire library, though.

Give it a few more years. You'll be eating your word on that too.

:D :P

You know, I'm not one to look too far ahead into the future, but you're probably absolutely right. I haven't even finished collecting all the loose carts I want, and I'm ALREADY starting on boxed games? What's up with that? I had no intention of doing that when I began this!! :x

So far I've been lucky..well, as far as the first boxed game I got off Ebay (Star Raiders). It was well-packed, protected, and in darn good shape for it's age. Heck...it even has the little hologram sticker on the top of the box that says "Atari". That was a kick in the pants to see that again.

I won't pay outrageous amounts for a boxed game, either. So far, anyway. Good thing the wife is away on a business trip right now. :D

Yeah wow you sound like me about 6 years ago. Now everytime a package comes in, I tell my wife Oh look what I got real cheap.. :ponder:

Of course I never elaborate on what cheap is. Soon you will have a seperate account for paypal that the wifey doesn't see or know about.... Collecting for Atari si like snorting Cocaine, first your at a party and you think awww why not, then 2 years later your in a rest stop restroom snorting coke selling stuff from the trunk of your car for your next fix(Boxed: insert rare game here). Moderation is the key... :D :D :D

Too true. I usually have stuff shipped to my work address so she doesn't see it. :ponder: One of these days she's going to catch me and there will be hell to pay. But, the addiction is too much for me to control. Didn't we all discuss that we should have an "Atari Anon" for those that are hopelessly sucked in to this? I just can't help myself.

Another reason for me to collect the boxd games is the artwork. Sure, it's duplicated on the cart, but the boxed art is simply too fantastic to ignore. :lust:

I feel the need to point out that scientific studies suggest that the more CIB games one collects, the lower the one's IQ. The rock bottom LOWEST are those who hord sealed games.

So sorry.

:P

LOL,do you hoard?you spelled it wrong,its,"H-O-A-R-D",i guess thats true!,Just kidding,i had to put that one in ;)I guess im in good company,as a few us have hoarded im sure :grin:

Edited by Rik

I collect carts only, BUT ......... Sometimes when i find a cart i have been looking for, its in this nice looking box. I got 92 boxed games so far, but i have promised myself never to get involved in collecting boxed games. :lol:

I collect carts only, BUT ......... Sometimes when i find a cart i have been looking for, its in this nice looking box. I got 92 boxed games so far, but i have promised myself never to get involved in collecting boxed games. :lol:

I don't think anyone on here can explain this addiction...well, if you can, give it a shot. I'd really like to know, as it doesn't seem to be anything I'm controlling! :roll:

I love boxed Sears items! And I love to share pix! :cool: :D

So far I have roughly 630 boxed games, not counting dups. That compared to an additional 316 loose carts. My boxed games outnumber my loose games :P

I also collect boxed systems and controllers.

To explain from a personal standpoint...I've always liked Atari. Maybe this is a way of holding onto an enjoyable part of my childhood, but I also feel that if anything is worth collecting, for whatever reason, make it as nice as possible. I think having all the original packaging helps enhance the satisfaction of owning an item from the past.

Again, just my POV.

post-2095-1213227598_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1213227610_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1213227620_thumb.jpg

So far I have roughly 630 boxed games, not counting dups. That compared to an additional 316 loose carts. My boxed games outnumber my loose games :P

To explain from a personal standpoint...I've always liked Atari. Maybe this is a way of holding onto an enjoyable part of my childhood, but I also feel that if anything is worth collecting, for whatever reason, make it as nice as possible. I think having all the original packaging helps enhance the satisfaction of owning an item from the past.

Again, just my POV.

I agree! Sell me those doubles! ;)

Agree with that 100%! :D

I collect boxed games only, though i havent got a new addition in quite some time :( im at 42 different cib games.

Edited by ydsavaged

Wow, ghost...I've never even SEEN some of that stuff you have in your collection, and I never knew that Atari sold "three packs" of games. I've missed a lot of stuff I suppose, and have a LONG way to go for a "nice" collection. :-o

When I got the Star Raiders boxed game, I had to remove the video touch pad so I could play it. :) Couldn't help myself, as I really love that game and wanted it out and attached to my 2600. I was very surprised in a good way that the box was in such good shape. My other two boxed games should arrive in a couple of days.

shadow, I hear yah. LOL Hey, I really don't ask for much from my wife, just let me have my little addiction and I'll be a happy man. She asked me before she left for Florida if I wanted anything, I (of course) said "no"...I can manage to get this stuff on my own. ;)

It really is a nostalgia thing with me, bringing me back to a kid and the earlier days of my youth.

-Steve

Again, just my POV.

I love seeing that Sears collection everytime you show pictures of it.. I agree with holding onto a part of your childhood. I still think about playing Atari with my mom and dad everytime I turn it on, since that was the only system they could play, and haven't played another since. Although my wife and I may try to get them to play some wii... I also agree if your going to collect you should do it right. Next time I'm in the burgh I might just show up at your door and take a gander at that collection in person. I promise not to take anything with me when I leave :ponder: ..... :D