IGNORED

Dig Dug, 2600 version or 7800 version?

Ferret75

Dig Dug  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following versions is the best?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 7800
    • I never played the game.
    • I don't know.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The 7800 version is the superior version. It feels a lot less clunky. Everything about it feels a lot closer to the arcade than the 2600 version.

Except the sound, which is identical in both versions.

Gameplay is great in both - you can't go wrong.

The 2600 has a kid version, and the 7800 has a two player version.

I haven't tried the 7800 version but 2600 Dig Dug is one of the top arcade ports to the VCS, and too often overlooked, maybe because it came out so late in the day. I play the coinop a lot on MAME and it's uncanny when switching over to the VCS how well they ported over the gameplay. The Superchip I guess makes a big difference because this is one of the last games I would have expected to make the translation intact.

The 7800 version looks better, but its so unfair to compare it to the 2600 version wich is also very good by 2600 standards, remember the 7800 runs on more powerful hardware than the venerable 2600.

Wich version should you get? well if you're looking for better graphics get the 7800 version, but if you're hardcore with 2600 (like me) then u should already know the answer ;)

Born and raised on the 5200 version, works great with a Masterplay/Redemption/Wico/etc! The 8-bit is fine too, of course. For some reason the 7800 one throws me off and the 2600 version is acceptable but not my favorite. So 5200 should be an option!

Heck, I have extras of both I will send you for 5 bucks shipped and you can decide for yourself. PM if you want.