IGNORED

What were your initials?

Krytol

On 7/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, FujiSkunk said:

At the retro arcade I'll put BAD when I don't think my initials really deserve to be on the list.  Since a lot of games reset daily, it's not hard to get on the list, even with a pitiful score.

Oh, is that the explanation? In recent times when I've been lucky enough to visit an arcade with classic games, I've just been like whoa... kids these days suck at these games! I guess it makes more sense if they're resetting them each day. So does that mean back in the day arcades left the cabinets on 24/7?

My initials are GTO... just my real initials, but I also appreciate the coolness factor that I share with the Pontiac GTO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zoyous said:

So does that mean back in the day arcades left the cabinets on 24/7?

Possibly.  High scores meant a lot more back then, so it wouldn't surprise me some arcades were committed to leaving the machines on for preservation.  Could explain why some games even when still fairly new were dealing with monitor burn-in.

Nonvolatile RAM existed even in the early '80s, and some games from that time had it for high score tables.  I believe at least some of the early Williams machines use it, like Joust and Robotron 2084.  Expecting machines to keep their scores wasn't really a thing until later in the decade, though, so most machines prior to the mid '80s lose their scores every power-cycle.  You may recall Seinfeld even dedicated an episode to George trying to move a Frogger machine without turning it off and losing his score.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In most cases I'd use RCF which are my actual initials.  But if I had a lousy game I'd use AAA of course as others have said.  If I actually managed to get the top score (which was rare) I'd use FRY (first letter of my last name followed by first two letters of my first).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just now found this post....loving it....

My group of peers were all around the "smart-ass" pre-teen age when arcades were popular.  We started out, of course, using profanity, as much as possible for a 3-letter entry...but it wasn't long before employees and attendants would just unplug and reset any machines with profane initials....it became pointless...

mine were:

Pre-1989  -  B.D.Y.

Post-1989  -  E.F.H.

the only two arcade achievements i was proud of were beating 1943 and Heavy Barrel each on ONE quarter, without using any continues.

It took so long beating Heavy Barrel at the mall that my ride got tired of waiting and left my ass there.... 

• 1 month later...

In the early days JEB or JON...

Then once we discovered Heavy Metal, Punk, and Thrash it was all over...We tended to put up initials of bands.

For example:

DRI  Dirty Rotten Imbeciles

COC  Corrosion of Conformity

SOD  Stormtroopers of Death

MOD  Method of Destruction

LOD  Legion of Death

V  A    Verbal Assault  or  Verbal Abuse

D I   (No meaning,  initially meant Drug Ideology, but everyone thought it was Death Incorporated)

S T   Suicidal Tendencies

GBH  (Grievous Bodily harm)

MDC  (Multiple meanings like Multi Death Corporations)

Good Times!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...