IGNORED

PSP Battery Question

Hello, is there any difference in the batteries that are available for the original PSP? I,ve heard heard about 1800mh and 2800 mh but don't know what it means and what's available. Thanks.

There are a number of different first and third party batteries available for the PSP fat... Sony has produced the original 1800mAh battery - the one that comes with the system - and an extended power 2200mAh one. I have seen third party batteries that are rated anywhere from 1200mAh to 3600mAh, but I would take any third party ratings with a grain of salt; they aren't all that accurate, ime...

mAh stands for "milli-amps an hour". Basically, the rating defines how long your battery will last per charge - the higher the mAh, the longer the battery should last between charges. In my experience, though, Sony batteries will outlast all the third party ones, no matter what they are rated. Of course, ymmv...

That's the skinny on batteries.

If you're wanting the 2200 mAh battery, it's in the Extended Life Battery Kit for the Slim PSP. Even though it's marketed for Slim, there's a phat battery in there. Stay away from the 1200 mAh battery--it won't work in your phat. Even if you cut the tabs, the phat will overload a 1200 mAh battery.

Hardware wise, the 1200 and 1800 mAh batteries are similar in that they have a large control board stacked with the battery. The 2200 mAh pack has a tiny control board at the top.

About the only third party battery one might need is the Datel Tool battery. Other than that, the 2200 mAh model (PSP-280) is the absolute best bet. You'll spot it quick--it has gold lettering on it, or it'll be in that extended life package.