IGNORED

Which version of the 7800 do you own?

Ferret75

Atari 7800 Versions  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of the 7800 do you own?

• Version 1 (Expansion Port)
    • Version 2 (Port Removed)
    • Version 3 (Removed and Covered)
    • I don't have a 7800.
    • I don't know.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You forgot hybrid version. Which, is a 7800 version 1 motherboard inside of a version 3 case. In other words, mine has an expansion port on the motherboard and is a rev. 1, but was sold inside a version 3 case which, doesn't show the expansion port.

You forgot hybrid version. Which, is a 7800 version 1 motherboard inside of a version 3 case. In other words, mine has an expansion port on the motherboard and is a rev. 1, but was sold inside a version 3 case which, doesn't show the expansion port.

I suspect this is what I have -- not sure how to tell exactly -- because there's no expansion port visible, but it will play pretty much anything and my understanding is that it's the later models that have trouble with certain carts (e.g. Robot Tank) and the Supercharger. Am I correct in this assumption?

I have a heavily modified third generation 7800. It has the Maria socketed, has a DevOS BIOS that's socketed, has mods to the port that allow easy fit of Activision, Imagic, and TigerVision carts, has a TV Type switch, and the power adapter is modded to run a wireless joystick base.

I have two of version 3. One has a lot of rust on the metal shielding underneath, but the other one is in pretty good shape.

Both were the funky ones that didn't work, at first, with some of the homebrews, but now do work with all the homebrews.

I've never seen any of the earlier versions. Hopefully, one day I will.

I've noticed an awful lot of people seem to have expansion ports. I've read that they were only made in 1984 and there's only like 4000 of them or whatever, but I have a hard time believing that. Way too common for that to be true IMO.

I had at least an expansion shell, not sure if I had the port, on my first 7800 in 1987. Those older ones were rotten for me - the first one was DOA (couldn't boot Pole Position) and the other blew up a capacitor after 2 years. My current unit was new in 1990 and still works great.

• 1 month later...

This one is mine also, but I voted removed.

Okay i found ver 1 today,opened the console up to clean and found moulded inside the following:C024536,and underneath:C018020,with a line through the middle across the numbers,just on the C018020,and REV A-5 beside the 2 set of numbers.

Edited by Rik