IGNORED

Atari to Colecovision converter

recoil

My question is can this unit be made to run independently of the Colecovision console. I remember reading somewhere that this unit is basically an Atari that plugs into the Colecovision. I am thinking if i knew the power in pin, and the r.f out pin or pins i could use a plug in card to run it independently. Has anyone tried this before, or have an opinion if it would work or not, or even the pin outs of the Colecovision expansion slot.

Before anyone says just buy a Colecovision console, i already have one, this is not the point.

Thanks, Chris.

PA080006a.jpg

PA080011a.jpg

O.K i found this. Any idea's on what pins to use?

expansion.jpg

I would say the 12 V pin and ground power the console itself the 5V pins I would guess maybe the controllers?

I may be wrong here, but I remember someone discussing this a while ago on another site and I thought there was something about the adapter pulling its clocking from the colecovision cpu clock but I may be wrong that was like 5-6 years, and I thought the adapter also used the video conversion from the COlecovision also but I may be wrong. ANyway don't take anything I say as gospel just my opinion on what I can remember.

THe more I look at that pinout conversion the more it appears like it truly does interface with the Colecovision boards. I'm sure that anything is possible but the time and money spent attempting to build a standalone box would not be a benefit. Although it might be a fun side project.

The converter has its own hand controller connectors. I was thinking it also had its own graphics output because i get a better picture when i use the converter, than from just the Colecovision console. The colour from the console is a bit flickery, but once the converter is added its perfect.

• 8 years later...

hey I know that its 8 years later but, but from I read (i am trying to do a similar mod ) the atari converter , has missing the clock signal , the power ,and the av out and the reset circuit , if you manage to get all of that circuits in the converter , you may have an expansion module one consonle ,for to make those circuits basically you have to copy all of those circuit from the atari schematics , but note , for making the av out you have to do basically a atari 2600 conpiste mod , but the tia pin out are diferent than the chip thar hass the expansion module inside(atari converter) thanks tht soemne has the pinout for this chips there are here in the forum , and the you can do the av out

The 2600 expansion module can be modified to become a standalone unit. Why would you waste the time and money to do so, when you can buy the Coleco Gemini, or one of the many official 2600 models? I am assuming that the Coleco gemini is just the expansion module with extra circuitry so that it can run by itself.

It's not like 2600 consoles are rare, hard to find, or expensive.

Edited by Hannacek

The 2600 expansion module can be modified to become a standalone unit. Why would you waste the time and money to do so, when you can buy the Coleco Gemini, or one of the many official 2600 models? I am assuming that the Coleco gemini is just the expansion module with extra circuitry so that it can run by itself.

It's not like 2600 consoles are rare, hard to find, or expensive.

Because some people do it for fun , they like to mod stuff or it is the smallest atari you can get , i think , I dont know if the flashback is smaller