IGNORED

Dungeon (2600 Release Candidate)

s0c7

You are the only person I've heard of who has had issues with a 7800. I know it's worked for others. Anybody else had 7800 issues? Regardless, it's a 2600 game. Can't promise compatibility.

You've played it with both difficulty switches set to A, right?

There will not be a 7800 version. At least not by me.

He wrote the guide based on his observations, not all of which are completely accurate.... ;)

Excellent - thanks for the responses.

I double checked gameplay on my 7800. I can get through the lvl 3 open door the first time I go through it. If I die and reset then every time I try to go through the door, the game sends me back to the title. I also got sent back by the faerie and the same thing happened. Perhaps a value gets stored in memory to record the door is open or something and the 7800 doesn't like it.

I was able to beat the game on BB & AA during my first play session. The dragon was in the same place both times and I froze the demon and pounded on him. That prompted me to call the game too easy which I think it is. Reading this thread reveals that you may have had the same suspicion during development. Its an excellent game regardless but seems like a missed opportunity to add a harder game variation.

Thanks for the inside info on the guide :)

UPDATE - I tested RC4 (from this thread) on my 7800 with the Harmony cart and it worked fine. I'm going to contact Al and see if he will replace the cart I bought from AA as it might be defective somehow. It is also now giving me problems on a 2600.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Ive been playing this the past couple of days (mainly mapping), and I know where the secret passages are, but cannot enter them. For example on level 5, I have pushed every single direction on every move space (especially the lower right corner). Do I have to have some type of item to pass through them? I have the Stella 6.0.1 and playing Dungeon v28. Also I was wondering if there is a way to view your inventory?

Update: I just loaded the previous version (v27) and I am noticing torches now (cool! was not getting those in v28) and the secret passages work (at least on level 5). Strange.

Update Plus: Never mind... I did some more digging and found RC4 (torches and passages work fine). Don't know where I grabbed those two previous versions!

Great game... really enjoy playing this and Dungeon II!

Edited by MissCommand
Update

30 minutes ago, MissCommand said:

I have the Stella 6.0.1 and playing Dungeon v28. Also I was wondering if there is a way to view your inventory?

You're playing some very old (incomplete) versions.  Play the attached instead.  No inventory as everything is automatic.  If you have a key, the door that requires it is open, otherwise closed, etc.

dungeon80.bin

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, s0c7 said:

You're playing some very old (incomplete) versions.  Play the attached instead.  No inventory as everything is automatic.  If you have a key, the door that requires it is open, otherwise closed, etc.

dungeon80.bin 32 kB · 1 download

Thanks so much! Is this the same as RC4?

9 minutes ago, MissCommand said:

Thanks again! Fantastic job on this game... cant imagine having this back in the day.

Thanks!  Always happy to hear from people who enjoy it.  Back when it was released, you could get it with a poster/map.  AFAIK the map is out of print now.

dungeon_poster.thumb.jpg.1323906f67167c17f2dbe1bf5936648e.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, s0c7 said:

dungeon80.bin 32 kB · 8 downloads

Happy to see this thread pop up again.  This is an excellent game and there is of course now a sequel!

I'm still wishing that some day you'd come back and add some advanced difficulty options.  Any chance you might be feeling the itch to add to this fantastic piece of work?

14 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I'm still wishing that some day you'd come back and add some advanced difficulty options.  Any chance you might be feeling the itch to add to this fantastic piece of work?

I won't say "Never".  Developing for the VCS has stopped being "fun", so I'm taking a break for a while.  Maybe at some point.

8 hours ago, s0c7 said:

Back when it was released, you could get it with a poster/map.  AFAIK the map is out of print now.

This was in the first batch of 2600 Homebrews that I ever purchased (back when it was first released).  I think Juno First was also in that purchase.  I absolutely love the map/poster that came with it.  It's a shame if it's out of print, but it's still a great game and the cartridge and box look absolutely gorgeous when you place this and the sequel next to each other.  Dave does such amazing artwork.

5 hours ago, s0c7 said:

I won't say "Never".  Developing for the VCS has stopped being "fun", so I'm taking a break for a while.  Maybe at some point.

I hope a good break does the trick for you.  I'd love to see you come back with another masterpiece at some point.  ;-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I finally got the cartridge. I love the game and have been playing it on my 7800 for the last few days. However, I can't seem to find the dragon anywhere. I can find the princess, found the holy grail and made it all the way to level 12, but can't get past the lake of fire without that dragon's tooth! Any hints on where I might find that dragon?