IGNORED

Creating .ATR images from disks

simonh

Hi There,

Back in the '80s I wrote a couple of games for the Atari-400/800. I am sad to say that I no longer have the hardware. But recently I discovered atari800win and started playing some of the old classics - including my games.

I still have the 5.25" single-density disks with my assembler source code for the games I wrote. I would love to hear from anyone who is able and willing to create .ATR images from these disks.

Cheers,

~Simon

Hi Simon

Welcome to the forums and welcome back to the wonderful world of Atari! It may help us if you'd let us know where in the world you are. If you're in the UK I'd be happy to create ATRs from your disks.

Paul

Hi There,

Back in the '80s I wrote a couple of games for the Atari-400/800. I am sad to say that I no longer have the hardware. But recently I discovered atari800win and started playing some of the old classics - including my games.

I still have the 5.25" single-density disks with my assembler source code for the games I wrote. I would love to hear from anyone who is able and willing to create .ATR images from these disks.

Cheers,

~Simon

I'm in US and can do it.

Simon H...i've never done it before but i understand it's as easy as pie

all you need is the right hardware at the pc and atari ends and the software

at the pc end you need sio2pc cable and the relevent software (or Ape/prosys cable and s/w...which is similar but more advanced then sio2pc) and read the instructions carefully

At the atari end make sure you've a working a8 (atari 8bit) and disk drive...stick the atari end of the sio2pc/ape prosys cable into the a8 disk drive and stick the sip2pc software into the 810/1050 xf etc and boot up....stick in the software you want to cnvert into emulator format (i.e ATR/Xfd etc) into the a8 disk drive and follow the instructions for making ATR/Xfd's etc

Btw...you said that some of your own games were in ATR format already...what are they called...was it commercial quality s/w (i.e. star raiders/pacman etc)

Edited by carmel_andrews

Simon.....OR shall we say 'Simon Hunt' I recall that they were released by Birmingham (UK) based software company 'English Software'....Did you ever meet John Williams (Timeslip/Jet boot Jack etc)...what the hell made you jump ship and emmigrate to the US

Also Simon...Are you familiar with the game " Diane's Game " which is exactly like Dan Strikes Back except the name...Did you do this game too (also released by english software)

Or was it a re-release/hack by english software

Or did you call Dan Strkes back ....Diane's Game, originally (what's the history...and most importantly WHO was diane...A girfriend, the wife/fianc'e)

Since you've gone to the other side of the 'big drink' AA member 'Classics' AKA 'steve' (sometimes a regular on the A8 section) should be able to help you out/see you right regarding the sio2pc/ape prosys cable and relevant software

Edited by carmel_andrews

Cool, Dan Strikes Back, an English Software classic! I played that a lot back then. Welcome to AA Simon. You'll have no problem finding help here to image the disks. That's great that you still have them

Edited by Tezz

Also Simon...Are you familiar with the game " Diane's Game " which is exactly like Dan Strikes Back except the name...Did you do this game too (also released by english software)

Or was it a re-release/hack by english software

Or did you call Dan Strkes back ....Diane's Game, originally (what's the history...and most importantly WHO was diane...A girfriend, the wife/fianc'e)

I can tell you that "Diane's Game" was an unofficial hack of Dan Strikes Back, and was done without my knowledge. I do not know the origin of it. It certainly wasn't released by English Software.

welcome back from the dead steve.....where have you been...and lastly...wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if you just tell simon to get himself (thru you) an sio2pc cable or ape pro sys cable and relevant software...i'm assuming or guessing that you still do these things

Asd for simon's last comment's...That is strange...It sounds like it might have been a Rob C hack or something (but their again it looks too amateurish to being a rob c hack as all they've done is changed the name of the game...leaving the software company and authors details as is)

I guess you'll want to play diamonds/dan strikes back on a pucka A8 setup

Edited by carmel_andrews

welcome back from the dead steve.....where have you been...and lastly...wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if you just tell simon to get himself (thru you) an sio2pc cable or ape pro sys cable and relevant software...i'm assuming or guessing that you still do these things
He no longer has the hardware
which I understand to mean he no longer has an Atari/drive

I remember one of the hacked versions of DSB had the tile map altered to show a persons initials making it imposible to complete that level. Don't think it was this "Diane's magic game" however, that looks like someone simply changed the title screen for their own amusement. I bought my DSB (as with all my A8 software) from Atari World, I made sure to support the software houses to produce more titles in the flagging A8 market.

Tezz I bet you didn't just go into Atari world for software... What about the 'Dishy' Manageress (Karen)...who was on the A8 section a little while back.... You can't tell me she wasn't worth a second look
by coincidence she used to live next door to a freind of ours, i think they did actually go out for a while.. my brother also by coincidence once worked with Harry's (the owner) son Steve!

I did sometimes do mail order with Silica and the like but we pretty much haunted Atari world

yes, I was surprised and saddened to hear that when she came on to the forum, had many good memories there. the red rat guys often coded/tested stuff in the shop itself so used to watch a few games in production. Hawk quest was a big project for those guys over several years. Another sad loss that Andrew Bradfield passed away at such a young age. together with Harvey Kong Tin they did some great work such as Laser Hawk

Just avoid 'Domain of the Undead'...A very poor mans version of 'Ghouls and Ghosts/Ghosts and Goblins'...'Little Devil' was OK (If you liked 'bombjack' type games)...I Think their best game was Astrodroid...their best non game was Technicolour Dream...which was slightly better then Atari artist/GAD

yea, domain of the undead was a running joke with us, it was embarrasingly bad. My liking of bombjack is out in the open here now I think! Little Devil was quite poor really, pretty stiff. Hopefully BJ released soon will put right the jump and collect genre. Technicolour Dream was one of the first red rat titles we bought. I wasn't really a great fan of APAC mode in the end so didnt use it so much.

Funnilly enough...I once did try and come up to 'Atari World'....Unfortunately my trip ended in the part of the Manc's city centre nearest the train station (piccadilly) as none of the locals knew where the other station was (Victoria) nor did they know where 'Fennel Street' was...So it looks like i got of at the wrong station...and haven't been back to Manc's since

I suppose the 'saving grace' from my one trip to Manc's was that i saw the building that housed one of the 'biggie' Anti Atari software companies....Ocean Software (central street)...weird thing is...they're now owned by the same group that now own Atari and the chair of Atari UK is the former owner and founder of Ocean.... David Ward

yes it was not really easy to find Fennel Street and Atari World was actually underground on Fennel Street too! I'm surprised no one you asked knew where Victoria was? It a shame that you didn't stick it out because Ocean on Central Street behind Central library was only about a 10 - 15 minute walk to Fennel street. Fennel street doesnt exist anymore, after the bomb blast in 1996 the whole area was redeveloped and the corn exchange building which housed atari world became the triangle mall with the urbis building being errected opposite on what was then an ncp car park. Fennel street is now part of the padestrianised area around urbis

Here's a picture of what it looks like today as if you were standing outside of where Atai World was looking straight ahead. ahead you can see the urbis and in the far left corner you can see Victoria station. It's totally different around there now. unrecognisable.

post-4724-1213905935_thumb.png

Edited by Tezz

Tezz...Can you go direct from manchester (Victoria) to Euston (London)...If not...Then i guess i didn't get off on the wrong station (as i guess that is the only option)

Nice piccy.... Kind of reminds me of the redeveloped 'Bull Ring' in birmingham

Silica shop was like the 'mecca' for A8 users in London (and the home counties, if you ever went to their sidcup branch)

Did you ever go to the 'home entertainment ctr' in brum (b4 it got taken over by Software express) from what i heard it was even better then sillica was in sidcup