IGNORED

Best GBA flash card? where to buy?

The supercard sd seems to be the best tool to play stolen games on the GBA or DS.

It uses sd cards to store the stolen games so that intellectual property theft can occur

on a much larger scale than would be possible on other piracy enabling devices that

have a much smaller fixed amount of memory.

It also features the abillity to use save states with all of the games that you have

stolen over the internet, thereby cheapening the gaming experence even further

since the stolen games will lose much of their challange.

It also has built in emulators so you can also play your stolen NES, SMS, game boy,

and game boy color RoMz as well.

:P

Ignoring the "subtle" jab at the uses of GBA flash carts, the SuperCard SD is the one I use, and while some GBA ROMs won't play through it (Revenge Of The Smurfs is one that doesn't), it's the one that I heartily recommend, particularly for GBA-based emulators and some homebrew stuff like the Bejeweled clones.

Edited by Vic George 2K3

I've owned quite a few, starting with a 128mbit cart, moving up to the supercard, and finishing off with two m-3's (standard SD and miniSD).

I'm only going to go over the three families of 'bulk' storage devices that take sd/miniSD cards. (avoid any CF units, they're naturally huge) There's all fairly equal with emulation and basic media playing in their list of features, so I'll highlight the differences.

The M-3 family are the best of these devices. They feature a real time clock, support for both sram and eeprom saves, the best movie player this side of the play-yan and close to 100% game compatibility with no slowdown. It's down side is it's expense, last I saw was close to $80, it's save files are *huge* at 1megabyte each, and there are a few (very few) games it can't do. Also, because of it's dual saver system, patching is never required. As far as incompatible games, grand theft auto, is the example that I can think of that doesn't work no matter what. Also be careful when buying m-3's, some (the 'pro' line) are not meant for gba use, they are for DS second slot only, and do not play gba titles--these will be the inexpensive ones.

Moving down the quality ladder a rung is the ez-flash IV. It's got good compatibility and a nifty menu system. It's also *FAR* less expensive. Check dealextreme... However it doesn't feature enough ram to handle the largest of gba's titles, the 32mbyte games. There aren't many games that big, kingdom hearts and sims 2 come to mind. It's features as a media player are also somewhat lacking. I don't own one of these--but this is what I'd shoot for.

the supercard family is the bottom rung of the 'bulk gba' options. It's compatibility is far lower than the other two, but with the right amount of screwing around, most games still work. Assuming the game will boot, game slowdown is fairly common with this family of devices. They are the least expensive, check dealextreme. It's not much less expensive than ezf IV mentioned above, and you're really getting a lot better compatibility by going for the ezf IV.

mind you I'm not meaning to take a dump on supercard--I used one for quite some time, and it made me very happy. But it's older technology than m-3 and ezf-IV, and the ezf-IV is priced very close to it. the M-3 on the other hand is aimed at a psycho fringe (me) who don't care at all about costs (it's maybe 5% better than ezf but twice the price)

Edited by Reaperman

The supercard sd seems to be the best tool to play stolen games on the GBA or DS.

It uses sd cards to store the stolen games so that intellectual property theft can occur

on a much larger scale than would be possible on other piracy enabling devices that

have a much smaller fixed amount of memory.

It also features the abillity to use save states with all of the games that you have

stolen over the internet, thereby cheapening the gaming experence even further

since the stolen games will lose much of their challange.

It also has built in emulators so you can also play your stolen NES, SMS, game boy,

and game boy color RoMz as well.

:P

Well... I'll ignore most of the jabs in this response.

You sure know quite a bit about the product.... thank you for the input.

As for 'stolen games' ... ummm.... whatever

What about the R4DS? Is it good? Just reading a bit about it, it sounds like a really good one. You can play DS games as well on that... right? I don't plan to install any software or anything extra. It will simply be used to add games to it for the kiddos.

The R4DS is a great DS flash cart, you can store GBA games on it, but can't play them without a slot 2 cart such as the EZ V 3-in 1. There are more modern solutions such as the Acekard RPG, but they cost a lot more. If you want a simple solution then I say the R4DS is well worth the money. Supply can be a bit erratic though.

Also you cant use them at all on the GBA, which although not stated I believe is what the OP is using

I use the M3 MicroDS

I got it from http://www.divineo.com/

It's an awesome plug and play alternative to the cumbersome GBA flashcarts of the past. It does have a save feature which is a bit weird but it really works great imo.

it's also pretty cheap, not including the micro sd card which can run about $10 I use 1GB size, I tried a 2GB and it had issues. but 1GB pretty much holds everything I want to play and then some. there are some great new GBA homebrew games out to take advantage of if and when you get a cart. check http://gbatemp.net/

I guess I need a 1 slot 'do-it-all' type of card. Is there such an animal. And... do they play DS roms?

as far as DS goes, slot 1 cards cannot play GBA games without help from a slot two device. The ez flash v 3-in-1 is highly recommended. There is 3rd party software out there to get it working with non ezf slot 1's, it only costs about $20 and you get a rumbler and opera expansion ram in addition to its gba functions.

Edited by Reaperman

Yikes... there sure are a lot of components here! LOL Anyone got inks where I can get these?

since I didn't link to it before. if you're needing something for actual GBA hardware (not NDS), EZ-Flash IV is the best for the money.

m-3 (miniSD) is still the absolute best (no idea where to get one anymore), but they'll cost at least twice as much, and give you expensive features like realtime clock that only appeal to a few pokemon players. (though its support for the handful of giant games is handy)

Edited by Reaperman

I guess I need a 1 slot 'do-it-all' type of card. Is there such an animal. And... do they play DS roms?

I saw one of these the other day that claimed no extra stuff was necessary. I'll be darned if I can find it now, but I'll look some more. I think I found it after chasing after a Game Boy multicart.

[EDIT]: Maybe it's not quite what I remembered, seems to be DS focused with no mention of GBA games. I have no experience with it but the reviews look good if that means anything at all.

http://www.ds-x.com/cgi-bin/dsx/engine.pl?page=home

"A single unified device � NOTHING else required

Compatible with ALL DS original and DS Lite� handheld units

Optimal compatibility for homebrew, audio, video and other

[...]"

Edited by BigO

I <3 the G6 Flashcart, sure it was meant to be used with the DS but you can use it with the GBA as well, as its not a slot 1 card.

www.g6flash.com :P

+1

The G6 was my first DS flash solution, but after upgrading to the M3REAL Slot 1 MicroSD card, my G6 was demoted to exclusive use on my GBASP & Gameboy Micro... It has 512MB of internal flash memory, and I've got 30 GBA ROMs and 70 GB/GBC ROMs on it now, so basically I can carry 100 great portable games with me where ever I go. I've only found one game that wouldn't run on it, and that could well just be a bad ROM - it's a terrific card.

I thought I would let you know how it turned out. I had a hard time finding a EZ or G6 flash card, so for $40 bucks I picked up a Supercard SD (came with a passkey to use it with a DS too). I was worried there would be all sorts of problems with it... but it seems to work well although a few games just wouldnt work and a couple had slowdowns but everything I wanted and many more worked fine although some needed several tries tweaking patches and settings. I have about 120 GBA roms on it so far, with nearly a thousand NES games ,500 regular gameboy games and 500 Sega master system/game gear games. I guess for me quantity (2gigabytes) outweighs quality.

Some of the homebrews out there are pretty amazing, but aside from the NES, GB, and Sega Master system emulator the other emulators I've tried have been too slow. Does anyone know of another emulator for the Gameboy Advance that runs at full speed? Are there SNES and Genesis emulators that run at 100% for the Nintendo DS? It might be worth picking up a DS just for that!!!

thanks again for all the helpful hints and advice.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie