IGNORED

Sega Nomad

I went to Games For Less and the guy who worked there said I should buy the Sega Nomad which cost $39.99

Here is the questions?

1) Can I play the system without batteries because I did not see the battery pack.

2) Should I buy it?

The Nomad uses a weird clip on battery holder, if you don't see it, you'll need it. Otherwise, it uses the same power supply as the Model 2 Genesis. There are also rechargable battery packs available, but from my understanding vintage ones will need to be rebuilt as the cells are usually dead.

Should you buy it? That's not a bad price if it's in good condition and you really want to play Genesis games on the go.

IMHO its nearly useless without the battery pack, being a portable and all. Unless you plan on playing it near a wall outlet theres not much point. Maybe someone handy with electronics could rig up a homemade battery pack, I've seen more than a few without them. I actually bought one once because I already have the clip and kept the unit as a back-up.

If you want the ability to play Genesis carts at home whenever you want but can't be bothered to keep a Geni hooked up to the TV, the Nomad's a great alternative. I use mine quite a lot, and I use it as often with the AC Adapter as I do with batteries... Six AAs only give you about three hours of play time max, anyway, so I usually end up on the AC adapter even if I start on the batteries... ;)

I had a Nomad years ago and it was a buggy piece of crap. Kept locking up. I really liked the idea of being able to take my Genesis games with me, but my experience with the Nomad was not good.

If others don't experience this, and feel it was just a problem with mine, then I'd say it's not a bad price. I'll never own another one, though.

Got mine at Goodwill last week, with the power supply, battery pack, an extra controller and in nice scratch-free condition for $9.99. Of course, I'm going to have to take it apart and reattach the screen brightness dial. But that's going to cost at least $40 in time and effort, so then the $39.99 is a decent price for one that works.

I went to Games For Less and the guy who worked there said I should buy the Sega Nomad which cost $39.99

Here is the questions?

1) Can I play the system without batteries because I did not see the battery pack.

2) Should I buy it?

You can use a standard series 2 geny power adaptor. Skip the batteries. You burn through six double AA s in a couple of hours.

And $40 is a STEAL

found a link for a lot of specs here. Can't really tell if it's tip neg or tip pos, though. Looked at mine, tip Positive, or -C+. 10VDC, .85mA. It can run fine with 9vdc, though. I would think eight cells from a drill battery at 1.2vdc each, would be enough. But definitely use rechargeables, batteries get expensive. Most of the time, big lots has the drill battery packs kind of cheap.

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

Sub C batteries run anywhere for $4 to $10 each at Batteries Plus, and they come with solder tabs. Personally, if I was going to use a big battery pack, I'd build it with those PowerEx NiMH D cells that crank out 12.5 amp hours (yep, 12,500 mAh) each. they are either $25 or $30 a pair at batteriesplus.com.

Sub C batteries run anywhere for $4 to $10 each at Batteries Plus, and they come with solder tabs. Personally, if I was going to use a big battery pack, I'd build it with those PowerEx NiMH D cells that crank out 12.5 amp hours (yep, 12,500 mAh) each. they are either $25 or $30 a pair at batteriesplus.com.

Holy crap, that would make it a luggable, and it sounds like something I would actually do!

I'm thinking maybe one of these would do the trick.

backpack.jpg

Voltaic Solar Bags

All joking aside, which all jokes were pretty good, this thread made me break out the N cells I have saved and see what I can whip up.

Can someone post pics of the back or side of a Nomad so I can see what kind of space the original battery pack takes up? And put it next to a drink can or CD so I can compare.

I have a Game Gear, and an external pack that needs rebuilding and I think I have enough cells for that, too. It seems the power board as well as the sound board in my unit are bad, as it won't work on batteries and there's no noise.

Nathan