IGNORED

Silent Hill Origins PS2

Silent Hill is my absolute favorite franchise ever. I played through the first one more then I can count and I have loved every one after. I have been waiting patiently for Silent Hill Origins to come to a console that I owned and the PS2 is the one. Due to a lengthy back catalog of games I have not even opened I waited a bit but I finally picked it up this week. I got a chance to throw it in tonight and I am excited but... I can't see. This game is incredibly dark. Previous Silent Hill games were dark as well but it was just right and perfect for the atmosphere. In this game I simply can't see anything. I am just blindly selecting things and navigating completely with my map.

Does anyone else have this game for PS2? I made some adjustments to the television I run the PS2 on but I can see in Silent Hill 3 just fine. I don't get how your supposed to become immersed when you simply can't see anything. I will still play because... I have to. It's Silent Hill.

:) i had the slient hill for psp and it was too hard they should at least had a easy mode for you play though. i don't know about the ps2 version but i hated it when a monster grab you couldn't fight back. so i don't consided orgains a true slient hill game.

I spent a few hours more with this game tonight and I got over the darkness pretty quickly. I was worried that this game was going to suck (particularly for a Silent Hill game) due to it being developed for a portable but I think this is absolutely a solid Silent Hill so far. I wouldn't say that it is completely on par with the greatness that was the first one but I would put it on par With Silent Hill 2 which was a fantastic Silent Hill. It will stay on that level as long as the story doesn't fall apart. I can't way to get through it and give my final thoughts.

I have it and thought that it totally kicked ass in every way. Once you beat the game, you'll get access to an extra option menu that will allow you to take the "grainy filter" away from the screen, and that REALLY helps you see things more clearly. It's a very short game (I think it took me maybe 8 hours to finish, and I like to explore all the nooks and crannies everywhere), but it has several endings (including a UFO ending!) for replay value (and extra costumes. I went back through it dressed as a masked wrestler!).

I'd say it's not quite as good as SH1 and 2, but better than 3. 4 sits in a class by itself, really. It's an excellent game, no doubt, but it's SO different, you can't really place it in with the other games.

I have it and thought that it totally kicked ass in every way. Once you beat the game, you'll get access to an extra option menu that will allow you to take the "grainy filter" away from the screen, and that REALLY helps you see things more clearly. It's a very short game (I think it took me maybe 8 hours to finish, and I like to explore all the nooks and crannies everywhere), but it has several endings (including a UFO ending!) for replay value (and extra costumes. I went back through it dressed as a masked wrestler!).

Multiple endings is a staple of Silent Hill. The accolades is something new though. I will be interested to try some out. I am pretty sure that SH on PS2 always requires going through the game once before they let you remove the noise filter. The XBox versions make it available right away so I was kind of spoiled by that. I understand why they have the filter but I like the crisp graphics you get without it better. Regardless, this games graphics don't seem to be quite as sharp as SH3. They look pretty close to SH2 to me.

I'd say it's not quite as good as SH1 and 2, but better than 3. 4 sits in a class by itself, really. It's an excellent game, no doubt, but it's SO different, you can't really place it in with the other games.

SH4 was originally meant to be a take off Silent Hill but it's own thing. They weren't even going to name it Silent Hill originally and I don't even know if it was supposed to be canon. The decision to make it part of the Silent Hill franchise helped it sell much more then it would have I am sure.

• 3 months later...

I'll second the difficulty, my first time encountering 2 monsters at 1 time and I can't get passed it. Even tried throwing stuff at them and by the time I knock one down, I can't finish it so it just gets back up by the time I knocked the other down and repeat process. Finally got frustrated to the point I just had to put the game down. Combat is way to slow and the weapons break wwwwwaaaayyyy to easily.

Edited by Atari5200

I heard Origins on the PSP is better than the PS2 port.

I read from reviews that the PS2 version doesn't control as well etc.....

I skipped the PS2 version and bought the PSP version but havent had a chance to play it much yet.

The game does control quite well. The only real issue I've had so far, and i"m not that far is the camera. Sometimes it's hard to see things and if your in a room, centering the camera does nothing. other times the when walking the camera will shift at another angle and it screws me up because then I'm walking backwards or something. But all in all, so far the controls are pretty good.

Fighting is stiff though, punch punch pause, etc. for one on one fights, it's not a problem. but for multiple enemy fights, forget it. I'm stuck because I can't kill 2 enemies at once, even with weapons, they break far to easily, it's ridiculous, this is really taking the enjoyment out of this game for me.

I skipped the PS2 version and bought the PSP version but havent had a chance to play it much yet.

The PSP version was the original. The PS2 controls seem to be the standard controls which were never great. If you are used to Silent Hill/early-RE game controls then you shouldn't have a problem with these.

The PSP version was the original. The PS2 controls seem to be the standard controls which were never great. If you are used to Silent Hill/early-RE game controls then you shouldn't have a problem with these.

In that case, i wouldn't have no problem at all then :)