IGNORED

Jaguar MPEG Card

JagMX

Ze_ro asked if VCD and CD-i were related.

I found this bit of information:

CD-i is an older format ("Green Book") than Video CD ("White Book"). It supports interactive computer games as well as movies.

You can play VCDs on a CD-i player, provided that it has the DV cartridge. But there's about 30 movies released by Philips on CD-i which you can only play on a CD-i player, because they use the "Green Book" standard: you can't play them on a VCD player or on a PC. These CDs are labelled "Digital Video" or "DV".

More information at

http://www.icdia.org/faq/

- Steve

well...anyhoooow... ;)

I think the MPEG thing is verry interesting.. I for one would realy like to play mpeg videos on my jaguar... Perhapps not as much for viewing movies as to include them in my productions.. (ie rather mpeg1 than cinepak).

So.. even though the HW is a truly interesting thing, i dont think i would sell more than one game then, Glenn ;) if i were to support it..

..but.. I know i am the only one "stupid" enough to think/whant this but a mpeg1 player based on a GPU&DSP solution? ...

I know it is farfetched and probably a wste of time but someday i would like to try!..

So.. my qyestion is: anyone got a MPEG1 source (video or video+audio) that MUST be based on max 16bit integer math... that would be a good start =)

anyhow keep the motion dreams alive!

/Sym

Hello,

It's definitely NOT the MPEG card.  I have an identical setup.  It's just the butch daughter board.

I was and still am then confused about what this board does.

Perhaps I am just confused by the thread title, but reading

the thread seems to mix Butch add-on with the MPEG issue.

:? If you could clarify, I'd be grateful, but I do understand

that the board is not an MPEG board, but is it related or not?

Cheers,

JustClaws.

The hardware shown in the pics (with incorrect captions :roll:) is a proto JagCD of a slightly earlier revision to mine. When they were still developing Butch they made up some boards which plugged into the system somehow (Not sure how. I think it was an extra card-edge connection at the back of the JagCD PCB) so they could prototype it more easily. In fact you can just make out the text on the PCB which says 'BUTCH ASIC DAUGHTER CARD' :)

The Alpine just looks like a standard one - it's got a cart case and the upper-right corner of the board isn't populated, like the majority of them out there.

As to whether the board is related or not: you need one for that model of JagCD to work, but beyond that it doesn't do any MPEG decoding at all :) Just a slightly confused article.

Stone

Hey Stone!

What "letter" is handwritten on the sticker of your butch board?

Jason

• 2 weeks later...