IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Actually the title of thread includes multicarts in the title, not just flashcarts. Also, he didn't mention anything about this not including pirate carts, just that this isn't the place to make an argument for, or against piracy. Unless that part about not making an argument for or against was in relation to someone loading ROMS onto their flashcart.... I may have interpreted that part wrong. Just trying to contribute as a whole. Perhaps I am being more liberal with my interpretation of the wording than others have been.

There is the R4 for the DS, the Ninja DS, and likely a ton of other DS flashcarts/flash media readers.

There is a ROM device for the SNES... ROM Dr. or Disk Dr... something like that. It allowed you to load ROMS on your SNES. It's not exactly a cartridge, but might be worth a mention?

Yep, I figured there are probably a hundred famicom multicarts out there. There are even some backup devices for the famicom, and there's always the obscure and sweet Doctor PC Jr. I figured there could be entire threads dedicated to the famicom multicarts, the dozens of old SNES backup units, and the GBA and DS flash carts. I was just trying to provide the best and/or easiest solutions out there rather than creating an all-inclusive history of pirate devices/carts (especially when there are dozens of them for a particular system, since I's lazy:) If only this were a wiki...

BBC MODEL B:

RetroClinic BBC B with Compact Flash Interface

http://www.retroclinic.com/acorn/acorn.htm

If anyone knows of any more that are not listed, that would be appreciated.

That's awesome, I didn't realize there was one available for the Acorn. Maybe I'll have some time soon to update the console list, and create the computer list.

Is there a system that is totally unsupported as far as flash carts are concerned ?

I fancy having a go at making another cart.

i think only the snes and the fairchild are totally unsupported...

then there are many systems that the flashcarts are discontinued...

thumbs up for making one more cart Richard ;)

Is there a system that is totally unsupported as far as flash carts are concerned ?

Neo Geo please! I've heard that's the most difficult system to work with, it has been discussed here. They also dicuss the only Neo Geo Backup option, the MGD2 Neo Geo add-on, which is very rare. This is definitely the most needed flash cart, hands down.

The N64 could use a new flash cart, but there are enough decent backup units around if a person really needs one.

Other than that, there are a lot of older systems with only a few games that could use a multicart solution.

There is instructions on making a multicart for the fairchild in the OP, and e5frog (member here on AA) has commented on the possibility of producing one in the future.

But a neo geo MVS flash cart with >90% compatibility that works in a MVS-to-AES converter would be awesome :thumbsup:

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

• 2 weeks later...
should I do it, or wait?

Do it, I had one, Tototek make good carts.

The only thing that lets them down is having to use the parallel port, but I think you can get USB-parallel converters that work OK. The USB is just used for powering the programmer, which I always found weird.

Yeah, I figured on the USB/Parr. thing, just powering the unit. I'm getting the SNES version as well... no cables. I'm sure I have them around here someplace (been a while since I needed one :D ).

Getting the FlashBoy, OD2 128 cart, and a CF power Pack as well. Trying to round out the flash carts and get my setup where I can actually display the collection and play the games. As it is now, its chaos... too much collecting, and not enough sell off of extras/taking care of the collection.

AX

• 2 months later...

The TI-99/4A does not have any multicarts or flash carts.

It would also be nice to have a PAL USB Flashcart for my Atari 2600 (I think only NTSC systems support the now impossible to obtain 2600 Flash and multicarts).

The TI has CF7+. Not sure if its available :-

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/ti99_e.htm

It would also be nice to have a PAL USB Flashcart for my Atari 2600 (I think only NTSC systems support the now impossible to obtain 2600 Flash and multicarts).

Have a look at Harmony coming later this year.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144469

Or look out for a CC2 (works on PAL systems) and use it in a 7800 to play your 2600 games.

The TI has CF7+. Not sure if its available :-

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/gtello/ti99_e.htm

Have a look at Harmony coming later this year.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144469

Or look out for a CC2 (works on PAL systems) and use it in a 7800 to play your 2600 games.

The CC2 seem hard to get hold of - but the Harmony sounds fantastic!

Again the CF7+ looks hard to get hold of. It also looks like it emulates disk images, rather than cart images.

I think the SNES, Genesis and N64 would have a lot of interest for USB/Flash carts. At least equal to the NES's PowerPak. I would buy one for SNES and Genesis for sure. Tototek's I don't want, because they are expensive, and only fit one game at a time. Any worthwhile cart needs to be able to use a large removable flash cart.

A TI/99 one would be nice, especially if it would be compatible with all of the assembler and basic games. As far as systems without one:

RCA Studio II ( doubt you'd sell many :P )

Emerson Arcadia 2001

Fairchild Channel F

O2 (there is supposedly one in the works)

Tandy CoCo

APF MP 1000 (you'd probably sell more Studio II ones)

Tomy Tutor (personally I'd love to have one for this)

Epoch Super Cassette Vision (same as above)

Mattel Aquarius

Atari 2600 (hopefully on the way soon)

Atari 7800

Neo Geo Pocket

Watara Supervision

Bandai Wonderswan

MSX (available anymore ???)

Neo Geo AES

I've left out some but you get the gist. I'd love to have one of each actually. Obviously about half, at least, of the ones I listed above wouldn't have a very high demand for them.

Odyssey 2:

John Dondzila has a 128-in-1 multicart that is a non-writeable, dip-switch cart. Contains the entire library (if not the entire library, very close to it) and some homebrews including Amok! Compatible with the Voice and Plus games for the g7400. $52 shipped.

Does anyone have any experience with this multicart? Will the version of Loony Balloon that's included play normally on a NTSC Odyssey 2? I had thought it was a PAL-only release, but maybe I'm confused.

EDIT: Aha, it was released in Brazil, so I'm guessing that's the NTSC version.

Edited by thegoldenband

Odyssey 2:

John Dondzila has a 128-in-1 multicart that is a non-writeable, dip-switch cart. Contains the entire library (if not the entire library, very close to it) and some homebrews including Amok! Compatible with the Voice and Plus games for the g7400. $52 shipped.

Does anyone have any experience with this multicart? Will the version of Loony Balloon that's included play normally on a NTSC Odyssey 2? I had thought it was a PAL-only release, but maybe I'm confused.

I am using it on a PAL Oddyssey 2, and I can say it is very good value for money (compared to prices of some other multicarts). Well worth getting.

Odyssey 2:

I have it and think it's great. Well worth the cost. Loony Balloon plays fine. There's only about 4 or 5 games on there that are PAL exclusives.