IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Great! Does the multicart include both NTSC and PAL versions of lots of games, then? It doesn't look like there are two different iterations of the multicart, so...

Looks like I'm going to have to pick up an O2 pretty soon! I'm thinking of trying for the Loony Balloon world record, if there is such a thing.

Edited by thegoldenband

Tototek's I don't want, because they are expensive, and only fit one game at a time.

No, they (Genesis and SNES) can hold several games each.

Still not good enough. I only want a cart if it uses something like CompactFlash, where you can fit a couple hundred games.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a system that is totally unsupported as far as flash carts are concerned ?

I fancy having a go at making another cart.

Another system which seems currently unsupported is (amazingly) the Amstrad CPC 464. I did post about this on a forum a while back, and someone had suggested you could record the original tapes to a WAV file and then burn the individual WAV to a CD and use one of those Tape to 3.5mm CD connectors, with the tape in the CPC464 tape drive and using a portable CD player. Apparently it works (loading the games much quicker), but seems rather time consuming and possibly unreliable to me.

It would be much better if there was something like the DivIDE, which worked with the CPOC 464 and the current DSK game images.

A lot of the Totek flashcarts look nice but they are all PP and that is just not convenient in any respect. The PP 2 USB converters are frequently a pain. I second the idea that anything with CF or even better SD would be amazing. Even native USB would be very nice (the only worry is driver support for each individual flascart in the year 2020, LOL). So is the Atarimax 5200 cart pretty good? I'm very tempted just a good chunk of change to not have to use my originals.

My vote for a new cart would be N64, then Jaguar. At least a lot of the other systems can be emulated very well with a nice experience on systems like the Wii or XBOX.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

retrousb now has the snes powerpak expensive but less than the nes powerpak.

I just ordered mine. I didn't know this was even being developed. I love my NES PowerPak, I hope this one is just as good.

Bill

Wow, I hadn't heard of this either, but I'll probably pass. I do have the NES PowerPak though, think I got one of the first batch that had to be sent back to be fixed.

I looked over the thread and don't think anyone mentioned that the Neo Flash Megadrive cart has been released. I have one, it's pretty nice. Very high compatibility for both Genesis and Master System roms (no more need for a power base converter). Apparently it also works for 32X roms, but I don't have one. Support for Sega CD saving is in the works.

Biggest problem is that it uses what's essentially a GBA flash cart (of course, sold by team Neo) for storage. There is a Neo GBA flash cart that supports SD, and they're working on support for loading ROMs from the SD card with this cart. But that's added expense. Also, the cart does not present itself as a simple mass storage device, it requires a windows driver and software to burn the games to flash. It does work in XP under Virtualbox on linux with the USB device forwarded to the VM.

Overall, I recommend it. It does have its flaws, but it's the best device of its kind available.

Nice thread! We certainly do need some sort of wiki or database of flash carts out there. One suggestion would be to include (maybe at the bottom) consoles or computer systems without any known solutions (or commercially available solutions), so we have something to (hopefully) entice people to create something :D

Also, here are some additions:

- I noticed you don't have any SNES category. Aside from the tototek one, there's the new bunnyboy one (already out of stock):

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=84

and one from mashmods:

http://www.mash-mods.com/products/snes/snescart

I have the tototek one and the mashmods one, not the compactflash one yet though (someday.. :D). The mashmods one is very good, I got it as soon as I saw it because of the USB that I never ever thought I'd see in a snes cart, and then the CF comes along, and I need to save up more money :P

- For gameboy, there's a new USB flashable card, which is not yet out of stock:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/copiers/copiers.htm

I've bought many a gadget from that seller so I know he's legit, only problem is Euro to USD conversion kind of sucks, but oh well :P Might be other sellers more local, not sure.

- Commodore 64 (and related systems I think) soon will have a disk cartridge that may be of some use to people, in being able to emulate the original disk reader:

http://www.1541ultimate.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_1541 (what it emulates)

Not a console per se, but kinda like a flash cart :P

Hope this helps!

Edit: I missed the first mention of the 1541 ultimate, sorry for the double post on that!

Edited by alaterale

Awesome, thanks for the heads up I didn't even know they were making one. The Powerpak rocks. :cool:

Anyone have a status update on the Snes PowerPak? According to the web site they've suspended sales to deal with some compatibility issues but it's very vague. I was one of the first to buy a NES PowerPak and had to send it back in order to get a resister pack added to it. I hope they figure out the issues quickly. I'm looking forward to trying this baby out.

Bill

Awesome, thanks for the heads up I didn't even know they were making one. The Powerpak rocks. :cool:

Anyone have a status update on the Snes PowerPak? According to the web site they've suspended sales to deal with some compatibility issues but it's very vague. I was one of the first to buy a NES PowerPak and had to send it back in order to get a resister pack added to it. I hope they figure out the issues quickly. I'm looking forward to trying this baby out.

Bill

They became available again within the last hour or so.

• 1 month later...

The SNES mini was apparently the holdup, and got moved to the incompatible list.

I sent a polite E-Mail to Retrozone/RetroUSB over Christmas to ask when the SNES cart would be back in stock again, and got back this snotty E-Mail reply from them yesterday:

Is there a way to write this section from the FAQ more clearly? Asking for when products will be available will be ignored, check the product description for an estimate. If the product page has no estimate, we have no estimate.

The RetroZone

So I will not be ordering one from them now, and advise anyone else about thinking twice before dealing with a company with this kind of poor attitude.

The SNES mini was apparently the holdup, and got moved to the incompatible list.

I sent a polite E-Mail to Retrozone/RetroUSB over Christmas to ask when the SNES cart would be back in stock again, and got back this snotty E-Mail reply from them yesterday:

Is there a way to write this section from the FAQ more clearly? Asking for when products will be available will be ignored, check the product description for an estimate. If the product page has no estimate, we have no estimate.

The RetroZone

So I will not be ordering one from them now, and advise anyone else about thinking twice before dealing with a company with this kind of poor attitude.

That's odd that they would say that, it says on the page the estimate is for January 20th. But I agree, not a very nice email reply :/ In any case, I usually just keep rechecking the page to see when a product I want is available and then buy it. That's how I got my nes powerpak when they seemed constantly out of stock :)

About the neo n64 cart, that is so awesome that it finally came out! I wasn't sure if it would be one of those forever in development products, but we can finally get one. Now I just need to save up $200 somehow :P And yeah, emulation for the system is usually pretty spotty and poor in my opinion so I've been looking forward to a flash cart. I think this means that now every Nintendo console has a flash cart option for it (or some modding option).

That's odd that they would say that, it says on the page the estimate is for January 20th. But I agree, not a very nice email reply :/ In any case, I usually just keep rechecking the page to see when a product I want is available and then buy it. That's how I got my nes powerpak when they seemed constantly out of stock :)

There was no date showing when I contacted them, hence I sent the E-Mail. I have also contacted companies which have shown products out of stock in the past, but after E-Mailing them they have had a spare one or two available and if you don't ask, you don't know.

The RetroZone

If they were annoyed seems like an odd waste of effort to send an email like that. Could have just said "no estimate sorry", much easier.