IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Found this board today http://retrocomputer...forum/index.php

Someone on there made a list as well: http://retrocomputer...hp?topic=1065.0

Just a few minutes looking through the forums, and found some interesting things. There's a new multicart for the Sord M5 (Obscure UK comp?) and there are a couple devices for the BBC Micro.

Someone? That will be me then :-)

Its a bit out of date though, as I left that forum quite a while back. I'll try and update it for here when I get a chance.

The Sord M5 was a Japanese Computer, but did also see a limited released in the UK although the release was very limited. I have also played on one and imo they are a bit crap.

Commodore Vic 20:

• Mega-Cart: An advanced ROM cartridge which contains all Vic-20 games originally released in cartridge form. It also contains many other high-quality games originally produced for tape or disk as well as some modern original works of Denial Forum members. It also contains Demo's, Utilities and can be used as a Memory Expander cartridge.
  • DISCONTINUED: Behr Bonz: It was a ROM Cartridge which had 127 games installed and made by eslapion. The original website which contained instructions of how to make this no longer exists. There was also a small run produced by Phu from RCM in the UK.

Commodore 64:

• 1541-III: An SD Card device with a small mobile phone style screen. It does not support multiload or multidisk games. It also works with C16/+4/116/SX64 (when powered from C64/Vic20 Tape Drive Port) and Vic20.
  • 1541 Ultimate-II: The most advanced cartridge device for the C64, and replaces the original 1541 Ultimate cartridge. It uses a SD card and will support multiload/multidisk games. Supports the latest GameBase V8 games set with use of a special app that is available on their forums. It also supports C64 utility cartridge emulation. It also has limited support for the C16/+4/116 and Vic20.
  • SD2IEC: I do not know much about these. They use SD cards and I guess they are similar to the 1541-III but without the screen. They are also available in a kit form to build yourself. It supports the CBM FileBrowser for C64 and VIc20 machines.
  • Cheameleon: I do not know much about these. They have a MMC/SD card slot with MMC64 compatibility and 1541-emulation. The cartridge also has a VGA socket to output to a monitor display and a cable loom to connect to a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.
  • C64SD: The C64SD is a interface Plug & Play device that emulates the Commodore floppy drive. You just need an SD card where you upload their package of games. It is basically it is a modified SD2IEC drive so it use the same firmware, it seems very handy because it does not require any cable, just plug it and nothing else, it use the tape port for the power and has a male connector for the serial port, it fits on C64 and Vic20 machines but since it has an additional power jack it could be used like other SD-Based drives to any other CBM machine. It supports the CBM FileBrowser for C64 and VIc20 machines.
  • DISCONTINUED: MMC64: Replaced by the MMC Replay and now the Chameleon cartridge.
  • DISCONTINUED: MMC Replay: Replaced by the Chameleon cartridge.

BBC Micro:

• RetroClinic DataCentre: This is a 5 in one interface comprising of 1- USB Host Controller, allowing connection of virtually any USB device including Flash Drives, Keyboards, Mice etc. 2- USB Slave Port, allowing connection directly to your PC. 3- 1 Megabyte RAM for use by drivers, filing systems or the user. 4- 64K Byte Non-Volatile RAM, used as a small RAM Drive for storing commonly used programs and utilities. 5- 16 Bit IDE interface, compatible with the existing CF system, but will also allow in the future the full range of 16 Bit IDE peripherals to be used, e.g. CD and DVD Drives.
  • mmbeeb: This uses MMC cards and supports the Stairway To Hell collection of games. Several people on the Stairway To Hell forums make these.
  • DISCONTINUED: RetroClinic Compact Flash (BBC HDD) Interface CF Card: Emulates a BBC B Hard Drive. As such it can be complicated to a BBC novice when adding games from floppy images or the internet and will also require you to purchase a copy of ADSF explorer to do this. The has been replaced by the RetroClinic DataCentre.

More to come....

Edited by StarshipUK

Someone? That will be me then :-)

Its a bit out of date though, as I left that forum quite a while back. I'll try and update it for here when I get a chance.

Cool, didn't know you were a member here:) It was a nice list, saw some new things on there, and yah, they are hard to keep updated. Thanks for the computer update and also for keeping it in the same style. I updated the second post with the comps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KRIKzz announced two new EverDrives. The Mega EverDrive for the Genesis/Mega-Drive and the Turbo EverDrive for the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine.

The Mega EverDrive is not a continuation of the EverDrive-MD. They are two separate products. The EverDrive-MD will continue to be made as the more "affordable" option, where as the Mega EverDrive will be a much more powerful flashcart that will be significantly more money. Some things I know about the Mega EverDrive so far are:

• Uses Cyclone II FPGA
  • Firmware/OS are loaded directly off SD card during start up, no more need for JTAG to update Firmware
  • Has GUI interface
  • Has both microSD and regular SD slots, so you have option of not having to mod cart shell if you don't want to do that
  • Mini USB port [not optional] (EverDrive-MD does not have one, nor is it an option)
  • Games load almost instantly, no more waiting
  • Can handle larger ROM files
  • A few things that he hopes to do with this:
    • FM sound support for SMS games
    • Emulators for earlier systems
    • Possibly some type of internet play via the USB port to computer (would require special hacked ROMs to work most likely)

Please note this is just what I know from prototype, some things may change. Mega EverDrive should be out early next year and then a few months later the Turbo EverDrive will come out. Just to give you idea of price. Currently our Deluxe EverDrive-MD is $119.99. Just the board of the Mega EverDrive will be quite a bit more than that. So if you are holding out for Mega EverDrive in hopes it will only be like $20 more. That will not be the case. KRIKzz has also hired quite a few more people to help him make PCBs so we are hoping the current supply issues will soon be rectified.

megaeverdrive_promo_02.png

post-22510-0-68973500-1318821496_thumb.png

If it isn't too late to add to the universal list of multi-carts, might I humbly submit my own cartridge for consideration? It's the Aquaricart, the first and only multi-cart for the Aquarius Home Computer System.

Nice! put me down for one. I have to find an aqurius first but i just looked on ebay and the prices are low, so... soon.

@stoneagegamer: wow, krikzz really must love the genesis. I am interested but I'm disappointed he did not make a gameboy flash cart.

a lot of us already have the TG16 flash hucard from the neo team but I suppose having one that runs from sd/msd would be really nice. what are the other features and price range for the tg16 cart?

Edited by Mark Wolfe

If it isn't too late to add to the universal list of multi-carts, might I humbly submit my own cartridge for consideration? It's the Aquaricart, the first and only multi-cart for the Aquarius Home Computer System.

It's actually on there already, but in the second post which is dedicated to computers (rather than consoles). It may be an accident of alphabetization, but it's still nice that it has pride of first place in its category -- and from what I've seen of your work it deserves to be at the top! :)

It's actually on there already, but in the second post which is dedicated to computers (rather than consoles). It may be an accident of alphabetization, but it's still nice that it has pride of first place in its category -- and from what I've seen of your work it deserves to be at the top! :)

Thanks for the compliment and the correction! I should have looked over the list more closely, although I'm relieved to say that the Aquaricart can finally be taken out of the "In Progress" category, as it's currently listed.

Nice! put me down for one. I have to find an aqurius first but i just looked on ebay and the prices are low, so... soon.

@stoneagegamer: wow, krikzz really must love the genesis. I am interested but I'm disappointed he did not make a gameboy flash cart.

a lot of us already have the TG16 flash hucard from the neo team but I suppose having one that runs from sd/msd would be really nice. what are the other features and price range for the tg16 cart?

Well the Game Boy EverDrive is the most requested, however TG-16 is second most requested. I have found that there isn't always a rhyme or reason for which flashcart he makes next. I think its mainly what system he feels like playing with at the time. I would guess that he will someday do a GB cart as well. I have no idea on any features of the Turbo.

Thanks for the compliment and the correction! I should have looked over the list more closely, although I'm relieved to say that the Aquaricart can finally be taken out of the "In Progress" category, as it's currently listed.

Awesome, I've updated the Aquaricart listing, very excited about this one!

• Like 1

KRIKzz announced two new EverDrives. The Mega EverDrive for the Genesis/Mega-Drive and the Turbo EverDrive for the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine.

Great news! I've been meaning to pick up the Neo PC Engine Flash cart, but I can just keep using my tototek cart until this comes out.

But, does anyone else feel like the Mega Everdrive features may not be worth the upgrade? If I didn't own an Everdrive-MD, I'd get it, but buying a whole new flash cart for those features is a different issue.

Great news! I've been meaning to pick up the Neo PC Engine Flash cart, but I can just keep using my tototek cart until this comes out.

But, does anyone else feel like the Mega Everdrive features may not be worth the upgrade? If I didn't own an Everdrive-MD, I'd get it, but buying a whole new flash cart for those features is a different issue.

Mega EverDrive may not be worth it for a lot of people, that's why he will continue to make the EverDrive-MD. He said he always wanted to make an ultimate Genesis/MD flashcart because its his favorite system. However two things I have realized selling EverDrives: 1 - there are a lot of people who want the best possible solution and will pay for it and 2 - Igor makes what he wants, not what he thinks will make the most $$$ or sell the best.

Mega EverDrive may not be worth it for a lot of people, that's why he will continue to make the EverDrive-MD. He said he always wanted to make an ultimate Genesis/MD flashcart because its his favorite system. However two things I have realized selling EverDrives: 1 - there are a lot of people who want the best possible solution and will pay for it and 2 - Igor makes what he wants, not what he thinks will make the most $$$ or sell the best.

Understood, playing over the internet on original hardware would be pretty awesome, hope he can get that feature on there.

I'm still not understanding what the Mega Everdrive really brings to the table other than an easy to update BIOS and FM sound for SMS games (does the SMS Everdrive offer that?).

Please understand I only posted what I know. I don't know everything he has planned for it. What I listed above is what I know he is working on. Yes it could possibly run an NES emulator. Someone said on the AssemblerGames forums "Shoot with the Cyclone II who even needs the Genesis?" His point being that the FPGA is almost powerful enough to run a Genesis emulator on. So with all that power it opens up a lot of doors for a lot of cool stuff. Again, that does not mean it will be worth it to you.

Think of the EverDrive-MD as a Chevy Malibu and the Mega EverDrive as a Cadillac. They will both get you to where you need to go, but one will get you there with more bells and whistles.

One feature I failed to mention above is that games load almost instantly.