IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

For anyone looking to get ahold of a Skunkboard, the last batch (with the current design) is up for pre-order: http://www.goatstore...rd_Rev_3_Ghost/

I hate asking this question in regards to the Jaguar but will the skunkboard run commercial roms, yes or no? I swear I have gotten more death threats when asking that kind of question around jaguar enthusiasts... they are a rabid bunch and very protective... I'm just asking a simply question , please do not cut my head off [not talkin' about you shaman, but the people I am talking about know who they are]

For anyone looking to get ahold of a Skunkboard, the last batch (with the current design) is up for pre-order: http://www.goatstore...rd_Rev_3_Ghost/

I hate asking this question in regards to the Jaguar but will the skunkboard run commercial roms, yes or no? I swear I have gotten more death threats when asking that kind of question around jaguar enthusiasts... they are a rabid bunch and very protective... I'm just asking a simply question , please do not cut my head off [not talkin' about you shaman, but the people I am talking about know who they are]

Oh believe me, I know all about the Jag community, I was expecting some backlash for posting the Skunkboard link in this thread:) Remo sums it up best here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/154569-jaguar-flash-carts/page__view__findpost__p__1942718.

I remember reading that there are one or two roms that won't play on the Skunkboard, but the roms can be modified to work. Hopefully someone else can chime in...

• Like 1

Heh, I've noticed that, too. Whenever asked, the "answer" is that's it's "not supported." Makes you wonder if it wasn't designed to purposely circumvent the playing of downloaded "ROMs." I don't see what damage it does to play obsolete titles. I have a Cuttle Cart 3 for Intellivision, but I still bought "Donkey Kong Arcade" homebrew. I play .ATRs and .XEXs all day long on the XL/XE, but I'm SURE AS HELL buying "Adventure II" on cartridge for the same machine. I suppose there's a vested interest in maintaining the used cartridge market, on Ebay. But even on all these systems with flashcarts (pretty much everything except for the Jaguar), the flashcart is so expensive as to not be too popular. Most people I know (who aren't RABID collectors) who get back into retrogaming (SNES, for example) buy a used system and around 10 games (or a lot more for way-cheap in Ebay lot) and wouldn't think of paying for an Everdrive. They think it's cool 'till they hear the price, and they spent less than $50 on they SNES, including their collection of used games. Because of this, there will always be a used game market, and there will always be a new-homebrew market, since, fortunately, users seem quite respective of protecting the i.p. of homebrew games. After I buy "Donkey Kong Arcade" and "Adventure II," there's no way I'm going to figure out how to dump the cart (as if I could!) and post it. Other homebrew buyers must feel the same way, and good thing. So I'm not sure what the Jag sensitivity is about? I'm not knocking anybody here, I'm just curious, as the Jag market (and sensitivity) is unlike anything I've seen with any other system, and I have 13 (or so) game systems. As for the systems I have a flashcart for, I'm afraid the thing will go tits-up one day in the future, so I'm holding on to my carts.

Edited by wood_jl

But even on all these systems with flashcarts (pretty much everything except for the Jaguar), the flashcart is so expensive as to not be too popular. Most people I know (who aren't RABID collectors) who get back into retrogaming (SNES, for example) buy a used system and around 10 games (or a lot more for way-cheap in Ebay lot) and wouldn't think of paying for an Everdrive. They think it's cool 'till they hear the price, and they spent less than $50 on they SNES, including their collection of used games

I have a few friends who are into SNES and Genesis, but were shocked when they saw how much I paid for the Everdrive/RetroUSB setups. They are quite content at the flea market or Savers every week thinking Mario Kart was a bargain for them at $30.

well said wood, i feel the same way and have noticed the same things regarding the various types of classic game enthusiasts. the group in this thread is on a different level, most of us have already played every game through emulators, collected every cart we could lay our hands on and have been entrenched in the closed economy that is the "classic gaming" market. we are willing to pay a high price to have ease of use and organization. I have personally decided to stop collecting any games other than the ones I truly appreciate, so I have sold off most of my carts and the rest are on the way out, I kept the games i love and sold the rest. I am actually keeping my jag carts and my 7800 carts because I do not have a viable way to play them on the original system. But I will when the Harmony 2 is released and I if get the jag option I will get rid of all but maybe two games because that is all I cared for on the system which I guess is why the jag is on the lowest rung of my collection and why I do not see eye to eye with those who love it so much. To me the jag just does not offer anything that excites me in the way say a NES or even a Turbo Graphic does... even with all my flash carts, I will continue to purchase homebrew games that appeal to me, I'll keep buying old games that I like.

Flashcarts have not changed anything about my gaming habits other than make it neater, cleaner and faster.

Edited by Mark Wolfe
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had CF issues when I first got the SNES PowerPak, even the card that shipped with it refused to work! After one of the mapper updates, the card started working and the PP also started working in my other SNES systems which had issues before as well.

It has the 2GB DANE-ELEC card in there now.

yeah you gotta have the latest mappers. I have found the retrousb snes cart to be kinda buggy. I finally just went ahead and ordered the krikzz version and like it a lot better.

so guys, I just got the new Neo Geo Pocket Flashmasta cart and usb transfer kit... it is really nice and has software for mac and pc! http://ngpc.freeplaytech.com/

I have two SNES PowerPaks and both have 2GB DANE-ELEC CF cards. I use one of the PowerPaks in a real Nintendo brand SNES, and I use the other in the unofficial SNES clone portable, the FC 16 Go version 2. The SNES PowerPak is a high quality product and is not buggy. However, you do have to set it up properly, otherwise you will have problems.

The only problem I ever had with my SNES PowerPak is when using it with the FC 16 Go, some games didn't work unless I disabled DMA. My recommendation is to delete everything on your CF card, then put the latest mappers on the CF card:

http://www.retrousb....ERPAK134105.zip

Then go into the PowerPak directory on the CF card and open the "config.txt" file and change the line of text from "DMA=1" to "DMA=0" and save the file. Doing that made the SNES PowerPak work with any SNES system, even cheapy clones.

The SNES PowerPak requires a "SAVES" subdirectory in the "POWERPAK" directory on the CF card. In the SAVES directory there should be a *.srm save file with the same name as every game ROM that you want to be able to save your game in. Since you may have hundreds of game ROMs, you will want to use a script to generate all of those save files for you. On windows, you can save the following text to a batch script named "MakeSaves.bat"

for %%f in ("%1") do copy /Y "%2" "%%~nf.srm"

Then browse to a temporary directory that contains all of your game ROMs and place the "MakeSaves.bat" to that directory and also copy the "8KBsave.srm" file from the SNES PowerPak page on the site (http://www.retrousb....SNES8KBsave.zip). Then type the following command in that directory:

MakeSaves.bat *.smc 8KBsave.srm

This will create a copy of the 8KBsave.srm blank save file for each game ROM. You will want to cut-paste the *.srm files to your POWERPAK/SAVES directory on your CF card. Then copy your game ROMs to a new GAMES folder on the CF card alongside the POWERPAK directory. When you select a game ROM to play, the SNES PowerPak will automatically load the save file.

Note that in order to save a game to the save file, you will need to hold down the reset button for 10 seconds. Once released, the PowerPak will prompt you asking if you want to save to file. Say yes and it is permenantly saved.

Edited by Jagasian

@jagasian: it IS buggy and problematic for me. just because you have not encountered any problems does not mean there are none. I will concede that perhaps I am using the term "buggy" in an unfair way, to my way of thinking anything you have to fiddle with constantly is "buggy". I have had numerous issues with the SNES Powerpak and response time from the guy behind that site is often very slow. Then when a reply does come finally, it is often rude in the way he responds to people. I do agree the Powerpak is of exceptional build quality, it used to be the only choice, now it isn't.

I should point out that the SNES PowerPak is currently the best flash cart you can buy for the SNES. I should know because I have several SNES systems, SNES flash carts, hundreds of real carts, etc. The SNES PowerPak is compatible with more games than the Super Everdrive cart, NEO SNES/SFC Myth Flash cart, and Tototek SNES flash cart. Note that there is a vastly superior flash cart for the SNES, which is still under development (though near complete). The "sd2snes" will support even more games than the SNES PowerPak, since it has a more powerful FPGA chip on the cart, which is capable of emulating almost every special chip used by SNES games. It even supports the Super FX chips used by StarFox 1 and StarFox 2!!!

http://sd2snes.de/blog/

• Like 1

I should point out that the SNES PowerPak is currently the best flash cart you can buy for the SNES. I should know because I have several SNES systems, SNES flash carts, hundreds of real carts, etc. The SNES PowerPak is compatible with more games than the Super Everdrive cart, NEO SNES/SFC Myth Flash cart, and Tototek SNES flash cart. Note that there is a vastly superior flash cart for the SNES, which is still under development (though near complete). The "sd2snes" will support even more games than the SNES PowerPak, since it has a more powerful FPGA chip on the cart, which is capable of emulating almost every special chip used by SNES games. It even supports the Super FX chips used by StarFox 1 and StarFox 2!!!

http://sd2snes.de/blog/

Last I heard Ikari was not interested in selling SD2SNES and has published the emulation source code for all the special SNES chips he has done so far for anyone to use. I know KRIKzz has looked at it. The hardware Ikari uses is very expensive, but KRIKzz said it may be possible to implement into Cyclone II FPGA.

The PowerPak and Everdrive compatibility are essentially equal, although PP loads games faster. Krikzz recently added a menu option to manually configure the ROM size on the header, which lets more games with questionable headers (like prototypes) work. The BS games that work on the PowerPak seem to work on the Everdrive, from what I tried I think. My long term issue with the PowerPak was the multitude of problems people have had since day one with CF cards.

sd2snes should be interesting, if he gets SuperFX to work. I don't think he's completed that yet. If Krikzz can get it to work on his hardware, that would be nice. Hopefully I find out ahead of time so I can sell my current Super ED first!

The PowerPak and Everdrive compatibility are essentially equal, although PP loads games faster. Krikzz recently added a menu option to manually configure the ROM size on the header, which lets more games with questionable headers (like prototypes) work. The BS games that work on the PowerPak seem to work on the Everdrive, from what I tried I think. My long term issue with the PowerPak was the multitude of problems people have had since day one with CF cards.

sd2snes should be interesting, if he gets SuperFX to work. I don't think he's completed that yet. If Krikzz can get it to work on his hardware, that would be nice. Hopefully I find out ahead of time so I can sell my current Super ED first!

Yeah I think loading speed is because he used FlashRAM in the Super EverDrive and the Max II CLPD. SD cards are pretty fast. KRIKzz just posted video of him loading new OS/Firmware for EverDrive64 loading at about 10mb/sec. I think that is actually faster currently than 64drive using CF.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not need to send in for update. The new OS works fin on v1, however the new bootloader is not for v1. The new bootloader allows 14mb/sec load speed on v2. He is working on similar bootloader for v1, but it may not be out for awhile.

Not a secret, here are changes fro PCB 1.01 -> PCB 2.00:

• v2 now loads firmware off SD card during start-up, no need to send v2 in for firmware updates. Firmware is included in OS files now, v2 will load it from OS file v1 will not. You still need to update v1 FW via JTAG.
  • v2 has better system compatibility. v1 had some issues with some N64 systems which caused it to get hot or not boot at all. This was fixed in v2.
  • Currently v2 has ability for new load speed, v1 ability coming later.

That's really all of the changes.