IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

AFAIK, this is the first time a product like this has been made, basically converting a CD-ROM game system to use a Hard Drive (or flash card through IDE converter) through the system bus. Translated 3DO IDE Adapter It does require some soldering and at this point it only works on the FZ-10 model. Here's the assembler forums thread (scroll down to the more recent posts). Hopefully there will be a group buy at some point.

Haven't those been made for Wii already?

You're right, I was thinking mostly about the older systems. I mean, having one of these setups for the PS1, saturn, SegaCD, TG CD, neo geo cd, laseractive ;) would just make things so nice. Hopefully this is the first of many :thumbsup:

AFAIK, this is the first time a product like this has been made, basically converting a CD-ROM game system to use a Hard Drive (or flash card through IDE converter) through the system bus. Translated 3DO IDE Adapter It does require some soldering and at this point it only works on the FZ-10 model. Here's the assembler forums thread (scroll down to the more recent posts). Hopefully there will be a group buy at some point.

sheesh, of all the myriad of systems to create a device like this for, someone chose the fucking 3DO?? I mean what a waste of resources & time, wouldn't it have been better to make it for the PS1 or Dreamcast or something? we already have one for the PS2 and systems beyond that so we need to look at the PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genny CD, Turbo GrafX CD, et al... NOT the awful 3DO.. man oh man what a waste :(

edit: I forgot there is an SD device for the Dreamcast, but compatibility is kind of low right now. I bought one a few months back, have not used it much due to the low compatibility but hopefully it will get better, I think the bandwidth on the serial port is the problem, so making something that boots in place of the gdrom drive would be great, certainly the arcade version of the dremacast hardware, NAOMI, does this already so it is possible.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

You're right, I was thinking mostly about the older systems. I mean, having one of these setups for the PS1, saturn, SegaCD, TG CD, neo geo cd, laseractive ;) would just make things so nice. Hopefully this is the first of many :thumbsup:

Agreed, it would be great to see this for other platforms as well. I'm glad it's been done for the 3DO though as the platform is sorely lacking in mods like this, as well as homebrew. Let's just hope that the Goldstar and FZ-1 units will eventually be supported, as they seem to be the units that more frequently have dead CD-ROM drives.

NOT the awful 3DO.. man oh man what a waste :(

This is a pretty big deal for those in the 3DO community. There are plenty of PlayStations, Sega CDs, and Saturn systems to go around when units bite the dust. Not quite so much for the 3DO.

Man this 3do IDE is fantastic. With my collection of over 60 long boxes, I'll finally get to enjoy them without having to take them out of the package. Bring it on! Wish I could understand the options better. Not sure what the prices translate in to, or what package I need to order if I just want to mod a system to play off a HDD exclusively without needing the laser. I've got a few spare FZ10 with dead lasers.

AX

60 long boxes with maybe one or two playable games, what's the game where you blow guys up.... that is the only one I could stand to play where the load times or controls were not completely messed up. this is a great advancement for our hobby I just wish it was for a more viable platform.

60 long boxes with maybe one or two playable games, what's the game where you blow guys up.... that is the only one I could stand to play where the load times or controls were not completely messed up. this is a great advancement for our hobby I just wish it was for a more viable platform.

By any chance, when you had a 3DO did you have a Goldstar? I've heard that many of those had all kinds of issues. Personally I've never had major load times on my FZ-1, especially when compared to the PlayStation or Dreamcast.

Anyway there are tons of playable games on the 3DO, and a few excellent ones like Return Fire, Samurai Shodown, SSF II Turbo, Need for Speed, Road Rash, Gex, Crash 'N' Burn. Of course it also has some of the world's worst games, but most systems do, after all!

• Like 2

Firstly, the creator is I think in Russia, and so you have to honestly wonder what systems they could even get over there? It could have been that the 3DO, specifically the model he's working on, was an easier implementation. There are methods to modding a PS2, XBox, Wii, etc. to allow for running games off a hard drive as I said, they've been around awhile. There's one in particular for PS2 (maybe slim only) that involves downloading files to a memory card, which allows for an external drive via the USB port. The other issue you run into is the need to start soldering and taking about the console immediately turns many buyers off.

It's a little related, anyway.

For a lot of these devices you have to rename a save template for each game, so the quickest answer is to dump the below line into a batch (*.bat) file, and run it in the same folder as your roms/save-template.

The specific example is for retrousb's powerpak and renames an '8KBsave.sav' for each .nes file, but I've used similar all over the place.

FOR %%F in (*.nes) do COPY /Y 8KBsave.sav "%%~nF.sav"

A lot could be done to 'zazz it up' but I'm sure not going to bother.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very addicted to flash cartridges and I own some that can load a single rom at time and some that can load multiple games from a GUI. I won't point fingers but people who have the ones with single load function will know what I'm talking about.

I was talking to a friend that is a dev working in some PS2 projects and we started to talk about the availability of flash cartridges for consoles and why some are so good and some need a computer to load only a single rom into the cartridge.

First of all comes hypocrisy, the often excuses I hear are: "it's not meant to play commercial games, it's intended for devs and for collectors to take a sneak peak of what they will buy next", let's break this lie in pieces:

1. It's not meant to play commercial games but IT CAN, has nothing to stop it from doing it and it's the main feature for 90% of people who buy flash cartridges. The list of available commercial roms are out there sorted into sets like GoodXX or No-intro, so the creators of those cartridges could avoid the loading of commercial games if they were anti-piracy but they don't do it, because the cartridge would not sell.

2. It's intended for devs only, yes I can swallow that lie but your main buyers are not devs and you know it. How many people here have programmed for some forgotten consoles?

3. The sneak peak: so it's not intended for piracy but piracy is good for people to improved their original collections, so you're saying that you're selling a cartridge that can enable piracy with the purpose of trusting in human beings goodwill? You're creating a cartridge that can do piracy, that you have done nothing to prevent it and hoping for people to not use it? Can you swallow that lie?

Next point is money: people that create a hardware/software for a system that has no competitors know what they are doing. They are putting no real effort and selling that hardware for the same price as the other creators that have put a lot of effort, upgrades and multi-load function on their cartridges, both cartridges will go for $100~150 USD. Someone that worked hard and someone that did a poor job will get the same amount of money for a single unit sold.

A big applause to the ones that deserve it, you know who they are. The rest just shut the fuck up and don't fill this forums with lies.

Mega EverDrive (Deluxe Edition) pre-order starts Sunday, March 4th, 2012 at 12:00PM EST (noon). Pre-orders will be limited to only 35 units. Once those are sold, that's it. No more pre-ordering and you will have to wait until they go up for normal sale. The Mega EverDrive PCBs should be shipping from Ukraine any day now. We expect to ship pre-orders early April. However it may happen a little earlier or later than that.

Please visit the Mega EverDrive (Deluxe Edition) page to go over Pre-order Agreement and other things so you are prepared Saturday to order quickly.

http://stoneagegamer.com/mega_everdrive_deluxe.aspx

I'm very addicted to flash cartridges and I own some that can load a single rom at time and some that can load multiple games from a GUI. I won't point fingers but people who have the ones with single load function will know what I'm talking about.

There's no question that a flashcart that can load several games from a GUI is preferable, but I think your post is being needlessly critical of single-game flashcarts. Adding the ability to switch between games adds several layers of complexity to the design, which ultimately causes the unit to take longer to test and makes it more costly to purchase. It's certainly sensible that if a multi-game flashcart were cost/time-prohibitive to design, the creator would likely rather release a single game unit than none at all. And, if it's for a system which has little homebrew support, I'm sure the system's fans would rather it be that way too.

The piracy angle is something of a Straw Man, since these are all long-retired systems and no one really counts downloaded ROMs as "lost sales". It's not as if anyone's advocating single-use flashcarts because it reduces piracy, or that the only people who deserve to use flashcarts should be homebrew devs. The bottom line is that flashcarts are designed by fans, for fans, and sometimes compromises have to be made for common sense reasons. We might disagree on what compromises are reasonable and which ones aren't, but that's not a good reason to be hostile toward other posters.

• Like 2

The piracy angle is something of a Straw Man, since these are all long-retired systems and no one really counts downloaded ROMs as "lost sales". It's not as if anyone's advocating single-use flashcarts because it reduces piracy, or that the only people who deserve to use flashcarts should be homebrew devs

Don't tell that to Jaguar 'anti piracy' retards....

:P

• Like 1

The Mega EverDrive PCBs should be shipping from Ukraine any day now.

Sooooo.... any word on what the next EverDrive project will be, after this one? |:)

Next is SD2SNES, but that technically isn't a KRIKzz project. Late Spring/Early Summer will be Turbo EverDrive for TG-16/PCE.

The Mega EverDrive PCBs should be shipping from Ukraine any day now.

Sooooo.... any word on what the next EverDrive project will be, after this one? |:)

Next is SD2SNES, but that technically isn't a KRIKzz project. Late Spring/Early Summer will be Turbo EverDrive for TG-16/PCE.

Hence my selling off the Neo PCE I had... and it has been a terrible wait for the Turbo without having the Neo. Guess it just makes the heart grow fonder. That will be a first day purchase. Even if I have to part with something to cover the cost.

AX