IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Thanks for the info. As for the Master EverDrive, I know it's only for the SMS but I was wondering how good the Mega EverDrive SMS game compatibility was. I thought I read somewhere that the Master Everdrive supported SG-1000 games and the Mega EverDrive didn't because the Genesis doesn't have the SG-1000 graphics modes. If this is the case I'll probably get both the Master and Mega Everdrives.

Technically, SG-1000 games -- and SMS games that use the TMS9918 video modes -- will run on the Genesis. It's just that you can't actually see anything. :D The game runs and you can hear its music/sound, but the screen is black.

There's only one US-released game that uses the legacy video mode, but there are a fair number of Korean SMS games that use it, including a bunch of MSX ports that have recently been dumped. Playing those games, and playing SMS games with FM sound, strike me as the main reasons to get the Master EverDrive if you already have the EverDrive-MD. But I don't know how complete the Korean mapper support is on the Master EverDrive.

Now that I think about it, there's another reason too: without hardware mods, it's impossible to play 3D SMS games with the EverDrive-MD -- right?

Now that I think about it, there's another reason too: without hardware mods, it's impossible to play 3D SMS games with the EverDrive-MD -- right?

Exactly. The 3D Glasses have a card interface. I suppose you could use a Power Base converter to do that, but you'd still need the Master Everdrive or the actual carts. And let me tell you, Out run 3D ain't cheap.

Exactly. The 3D Glasses have a card interface. I suppose you could use a Power Base converter to do that, but you'd still need the Master Everdrive or the actual carts. And let me tell you, Out run 3D ain't cheap.

There's probably some heavy-duty hardware hack that could access whatever line drives the 3D glasses and route it to the card interface. But I wouldn't know how to do it, nor would I know whether it would interfere with the EverDrive-MD's normal functioning, and I assume you'd have to seriously carve up the Genesis and the card.

And yeah, I'm definitely more interested in the Master EverDrive because of how expensive OutRun 3D and Line of Fire are. Given the costs involved, it makes more sense just to buy the flashcart.

I even tried running OutRun 3D via the EverDrive MD while running a different 3D game on the SMS -- in other words, I was playing OutRun 3D on the Genesis, but wearing glasses that were plugged in to the SMS. Needless to say, it didn't really work. :)

There's probably some heavy-duty hardware hack that could access whatever line drives the 3D glasses and route it to the card interface. But I wouldn't know how to do it, nor would I know whether it would interfere with the EverDrive-MD's normal functioning, and I assume you'd have to seriously carve up the Genesis and the card.

And yeah, I'm definitely more interested in the Master EverDrive because of how expensive OutRun 3D and Line of Fire are. Given the costs involved, it makes more sense just to buy the flashcart.

I even tried running OutRun 3D via the EverDrive MD while running a different 3D game on the SMS -- in other words, I was playing OutRun 3D on the Genesis, but wearing glasses that were plugged in to the SMS. Needless to say, it didn't really work. :)

An interesting thought. Since the converter that sits on top of the Genesis has the ability, it would behoove someone to open up one of those and check where it all connects up. It may be very simple to make a pre-everdrive dongle that goes between the Genny and Everdrive. They make those relatively cheap glasses that work with 3d SMS games for around $25. I can see Stone Age selling a 3d glasses set all nice with a box for like $50 - $60 if the dongle is as simple as it should be (in my mind :D )

An interesting thought. Since the converter that sits on top of the Genesis has the ability, it would behoove someone to open up one of those and check where it all connects up. It may be very simple to make a pre-everdrive dongle that goes between the Genny and Everdrive. They make those relatively cheap glasses that work with 3d SMS games for around $25. I can see Stone Age selling a 3d glasses set all nice with a box for like $50 - $60 if the dongle is as simple as it should be (in my mind :D )

That's actually not a bad thought. I saw at MGC that you can use generic 3D shutter glasses with the SMS and it works just fine.

Unfortunately those "cheap" (I paid around $15) 3D shutter glasses aren't the greatest alternative. They do not work as well as the originals, and do not "focus" the lenses into a single image as well. Don't think the timing is quite right. If you are really a SMS enthusiast, you really should get the Master Everdrive.

There are also some SMS games which run on the Genesis, but not on the SMS. It's a PAL timing thing I think.

More specifically: http://www.flashmasta.com/2012/04/09/atari-lynx-flash-cartridge-flashmasta-lynx/. It'll probably end up being a basic flash cart, but most likely easier to use than the current flash cart is my guess. Also, there is a hint in the latest news that he's going to work on the Wonderswan! A lot of us can give up the eternal search for the Wonder Magic:)

• Like 1

More specifically: http://www.flashmast...lashmasta-lynx/. It'll probably end up being a basic flash cart, but most likely easier to use than the current flash cart is my guess. Also, there is a hint in the latest news that he's going to work on the Wonderswan! A lot of us can give up the eternal search for the Wonder Magic:)

funny thing is, I finally found a wondermagic last year but it did not have the power supply, but I bought it thinking that would be no problem. turns out the power supply is some really fucked up requirement that none of the generic radio shack types can match.... very frustrating. if anyone knows how to get power to the wondermagic, let me know. I'm baffled by it.

The msx does have some flash carts and floppy emulators. http://www.msx.org/wiki/Storage_and_I/O This is a list of some of the devices. I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I think you can use a storage device such as the Mega-SCSI which connects to your computer as a floppy emulator. It can also be used to flash roms onto the Mega Flash SCC+ that acts as a flash cart for playing cart images. The SCC part is a special sound chip/memory mapper(?) that allows you to play the Konami games. As far as I can tell the SD v2.2 cart is an all in one solution. It emulates the SCC, and can flash itself off of an SD card. Can anyone else chime in?

I would think interest would be high, maybe not here in the US but everywhere else, that computer was very popular. I have the Yamaha version, that was used for music, but it can play games too. I'd love to get a floppy drive for it, but they are hard to come by

I wonder why there isn't a straightforward flash cart for the MSX? Is there some hardware reason why this is impossible to do or is it just that there's not enough interest?

Probably because of the convoluted mess that is all the carts themselves and the audience size.

I'm just glad my 1chipMSX sorts most of that out for me nicely. :)

I have a Turbo R MSX, never could figure out the best flash cart solution to get, so I just moved on to other systems. It's a shame there isn't an everdrive equivalent.

the SD v2.2 cart looks great but it does not seem to be for sale. it also says you need an MSX floppy drive to get it to work which seems weird oh and that it only works for MSX1, is any of this stuff for sale? if so where?

Honestly, I'm not sure where any of it's sold, even Sunrise's site is in bad shape atm. Those were the best links I could find. You can always try the msx.org forums.

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

I have a Turbo R MSX, never could figure out the best flash cart solution to get, so I just moved on to other systems. It's a shame there isn't an everdrive equivalent.

Maybe there will be some day. If I had any electronics skill I'd be working on one as we speak. I think there's a big market for it.