IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I don't care if I have to wait, but I'm now very glad I kept 25 audiophile systems back out of the cache of systems I sold off. CD-R is nice, but after enjoying IDE on my 3do, PS2, and XBOX, the same kind of thing for PS1 is a godsend. If/when DC and SATURN join that list I think we will be just about good (maybe Sega CD too ;) I can hope.

Was there ever a way to mod a PSOne to have a parralel port?

There are still points on the mainboard where the PSIO can be soldered to. They call them test points, meaning I figure Sony had the capacity to install something to test with during development.

I donated and was told any donators would be on the best test list. I have not gotten any emails though, have beta tester emails gone out already?

here is what i found on ebay for 64GB SDHC, this looks cheap to me:

http://rover.ebay.co...tm/330865886051

I saw a couple others that were cheaper still. I have some micro sdhc cards that are 64GB, and a bunch that are 32GB

They only got the PCBs yesterday, no word on when they will ship or anything like that. As for those SD cards, uh, eh, oh, if you have $ to take a chance.... SD card quality is fairly underrated, especially with non-mass produced devices like this. I wouldn't worry about it working on a digital camera, but for a custom job like this?

I don't care if I have to wait, but I'm now very glad I kept 25 audiophile systems back out of the cache of systems I sold off. CD-R is nice, but after enjoying IDE on my 3do, PS2, and XBOX, the same kind of thing for PS1 is a godsend. If/when DC and SATURN join that list I think we will be just about good (maybe Sega CD too ;) I can hope.

I'd love to see a Saturn version someday. However, I have a feeling the system is way too complicated, handcuffed, etc. to do so. You'd think with all those ports (RAM Cartridge, Communication Link, VCD Adapter Card) there would be but I think none are a match or fast enough. SegaCD does that thing where it converts data to audio CD format, and back again, in order to function. I'd figure the entire thing would have to be emulated via FPGA when connected to the Genesis expansion port.

We are getting spoiled. It's a great time to enjoy classic gaming.

Agreed squared. There are so many options for using modern media on so many systems that it's amazing.

Still, I'm looking forward to the PSX and Dreamcast developments. Greedy, greedy me :D

• Like 1

There is a great thread involving the RCA Studio II production manager going on in Classic Gaming General Right now. One of the things he has mentioned is a theoretical multicart for the system. If you follow this post, he goes on to say technical details about how he would create the multicart, and that it would probably only take a month for him to create. The whole thread is a great read, and if you have any interest in a RCA Studio II multicart, please let him know!

I have a Turbo R MSX, never could figure out the best flash cart solution to get, so I just moved on to other systems. It's a shame there isn't an everdrive equivalent.

(Post from a year ago)

I've always been a little confused about the MSX, but there's a new one on the horizon that I will most likely have to purchase. The MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD is an updated version of the MegaFlashROM SCC+ flash cart. There are some other options in the computer section of the list (second post in this thread) including the MSX SD drive (cheaper but unavailable), but this seems to be a pretty nice set of features.

Does anyone know if there's an advantage to having 2 microsd card slots instead of 1 except for space? Any reason to buy another flash cart instead of this one?

Not sure if shipping is extra, but translates to about $145 USD for single SD slot. Not totally insane. I assume it works on MSX2's, as well. A worthy alternative to the out of print MSX on a chip, which costs a fortune. Although MSX 1 computers are at least $200 on ebay now.

Not sure if shipping is extra, but translates to about $145 USD for single SD slot. Not totally insane. I assume it works on MSX2's, as well. A worthy alternative to the out of print MSX on a chip, which costs a fortune. Although MSX 1 computers are at least $200 on ebay now.

is it available now? sounds like if you know the price it is available, where do I order? ebay is finicky with this kind of stuff. you have to set an auto search for it and be prepared to wait months before you get your price. the yamaha msx I have is primarily for doing music but I believe it is equivalent to an MSX1 and they are cheaper than normal MSX computers on ebay.

http://www.retrothin...amaha_cx5m.html

I have two of them if someone wants one

update - better page w/ specs: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=88

There's an order page on this site. http://www.msxcartridgeshop.com/

are these ready for sale now or is this a pre-order? what is the difference between the different options? it says 8Mb 1 slot, then 64Mb 1 slot, and 64Mb 2 slots. I'd like more info on what the differences are and what each can and can't do before i pull the trigger

edit: ok I see the differences I think on the order site, but there is not mention of what you need 2 sd slots. how do you load the cat with no sd. the megaflasrom scc+ vs the scc+sd big difference in price

hello!

i have found a website in german speech with several backup unit systems or flash carts.

[site link removed]

wow 7 post and this is your contribution... smells kinda spammy. yu took the time to post this yet not bother with an avatar

(Post from a year ago)

I've always been a little confused about the MSX, but there's a new one on the horizon that I will most likely have to purchase. The MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD is an updated version of the MegaFlashROM SCC+ flash cart. There are some other options in the computer section of the list (second post in this thread) including the MSX SD drive (cheaper but unavailable), but this seems to be a pretty nice set of features.

Does anyone know if there's an advantage to having 2 microsd card slots instead of 1 except for space? Any reason to buy another flash cart instead of this one?

I know what I'm getting with my next paycheck

• Like 1

are these ready for sale now or is this a pre-order? what is the difference between the different options? it says 8Mb 1 slot, then 64Mb 1 slot, and 64Mb 2 slots. I'd like more info on what the differences are and what each can and can't do before i pull the trigger

edit: ok I see the differences I think on the order site, but there is not mention of what you need 2 sd slots. how do you load the cat with no sd. the megaflasrom scc+ vs the scc+sd big difference in price

Hey Mark, on Retrocollect, it said it would be available in a few weeks, and it's already been a couple. So, I think you're basically ordering with a week delay or so. So I did some digging here, and it looks like there's not much reason to have 2 slots. The cards are hot swappable, so the guy who made it says you can work with one and remove the other to copy stuff on to the disk, but I don't mind powering off the system for that purpose. The SCC SD version is the one you want, the SCC is much older. I'm not sure how to get the data on it, but I would have to think it's by using the floppy drives or a PC-to-MSX cable?

A couple other things I discovered:

People on the msx forum are pretty much hailing this as the "ultimate" cart.

This is designed to work with the Nextor operating system, which will boot from the cart itself.

Nextor is an updated version of MSX-DOS.

Nextor does not currently have DSK support. So you can read disk images, but any saving will be done via floppy drives. Fortunately, the next version of Nextor will have DSK support so writing to DSK files will be possible.

When a new version of Nextor is released, a new version of the MegaFlash SCC SD BIOS will be released.

You can't use this cart in a slot expander.

Taken directly from msx.org, "Nextor only assings two units per interface at boot time. So if you have a MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD and a floppy in your computer, you drives will be:

MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD = A: and B:

Floppy = C: and D:

Then you can mount more SD units in E:, F:,G: and H:"

User Manual: http://www.msxcartridgeshop.com/bin/MegaFlashROM%20SCC+%20SD%20User's%20Manual%201.00.pdf

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

Yep, as far as I can tell, the only requirement is 64kb for MSX 1 and 128k for MSX 2 which is pretty much the minimum for those I think. Also apparently another flash cart had problems running on the Turbo R ST, but this one was developed on an ST.

I forgot to mention earlier that the microSD card supports FAT16, but not FAT32. The card will have to be formatted correctly before it can be used in the flash cart.

OK - I am a little confused (New MSX Cart)

For MultiRom the manual says:

It is possible to put several games into the cartridge at the same time, as many as they fit in the cartridge's memory, up to 511.

The Specs say: 8192KB (64 Mbits) flash ROM memory

So the questions I have are:

1. Is the flash memory 8MB or 64MB?

2. So even if I put a 4GB SD Card in, using MultiRom I would still be limited by the 8MB (or 64MB) flash ROM Memory.

I have just downloaded 109 MSX ROM Files. These come to around 6MB, so if the limit is 8MB how would you be able to fit 511 ROM Carts in a memory that small?

I own two MSX2 which I got cheaply from the EBay. The MSX was not big at all in England so I don't think many people are into them here, and they do show up in the UK very rarely. One is a Philips VG-8230 with 192k RAM and the other is a Philips VG-8235 with 256k RAM (poor condition and controller port 2 is missing a pin). Although the VG-8230 is in much better condition and I guess most games will run fine with 192k RAM with no problems.

Also does anyone know if MSX games used one button or two button controllers, and whether the wiring of the joystick ports was different to other 8 Bit machines, like the C64 or Master System? If so does anyone know whether you can get MSX joystick adapters anywhere?

The Specs say: 8192KB (64 Mbits) flash ROM memory

So the questions I have are:

1. Is the flash memory 8MB or 64MB?

2. So even if I put a 4GB SD Card in, using MultiRom I would still be limited by the 8MB (or 64MB) flash ROM Memory.

1: the flash memory is 8MB. The 64Mbits is in bits and usually one divides bits by 8 to get bytes.

2: no idea, I'm not following MSX scene so I don't know what this flash is capable of. AFAIK MSX wasn't big in USA either, that it's more of Japanese thing.

Thank you for the reply. The MSX was also quite big in France and the Benelux countries - an awful lot of MSX stuff on EBay France at the moment.

Just need to find out about MSX joysticks now, and whether games needed two fire buttons, or just the one.

You can also play MSX games on the keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...