IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

anyone have a link to the project page of the DCIO gadget? also, what is up with the slowness whth which the PSIO project has been belabored with... no news, no updates. was it a scam? if so it was mighty imprssive

I paid $50 so I could get one of the first ones

oh... I stand corrected, looks like one news update in late november came through regarding new hardware. vert few details since i last checked but again, nothing of real usefulnss as to what is going on and how they plan to do nw hard ware when thy showed a hug pile of the first boards... is this chip related or do that have to re-order all new boards... annoying especially since I paid to help them, when I write, IF I get a response it is always "thank you for your patience..."

http://ps-io.com/news.html

There is a Facebook group for the DCIO project, which will use the same PSIO hardware but has a couple other guys helping in developing the software. The place to follow news though is on Assembler. I concur with SAG, you never know if something will come to bear. PSIO, at least from my perspective, still has a great deal of work to be done. The Dreamcast on the other hand, I believe is actually an easier system to do this with. The Dreamshell interface/SD Card adapters are proof of that. PS1 utilized a wide array of CD-Rom access technologies, each of which need their own programming. Dreamcast was more one size fits all. We'll see, as I'm not certain whether they can satisfy demand by producing the boards themselves with all that soldering. They have discussed having the entire board manufactured and assembled in China, although that may be costly.

Well one could argue that your PSIO donation made the project possible. There's been a number of videos showing that it's definitely playing full games without issue. They had to revise their hardware recently, incorporating an ARM chip, which was fabulous because it really allows for more complexity and features in the emulation. I think once they've debugged the hardware as they are doing now, then it's all software. They could technically get it working, ship it out to the beta testers, and continue to work on the GUI/compatibility. I didn't donate to PSIO because I didn't want a "Beta" version, fearing that they would have to update the hardware and leave me with a paperweight. So their continued development I think is the better way to go, rather than dump a bunch of incomplete crap out there.

My beef though Greg is they have an official website, they have a mailing list of donors... why no communication? why when I write to them do I get nothing back but bullshit? one could argue that if homegrown devs are going to ask for money in the future they should be held to a higher standard of informing their donors - ie: INVESTORS

sorry if that comes off pissy, surely I am not shooting the messenger, I'm quite greatful. thanks

Yeah, I hear you. I have donated to Kickstarter projects that have gone totally cold, too. The guy doing the bulk of the designing is in Belarus, and his English is not fantastic. The guy handling the business side is in Australia, and he's the one that some have had issues with in the past regarding previous projects. Updates from the Belarussian guy (cybdyn) are usually posted on Assembler. The Aussie is the one who should be keeping donors better informed. Unfortunately with stuff like this, you just have to expect it to take a long time. Marshall, the kid who designed the 64drive, that took him 2 or 3 years to do, and he often went months without any update. I agree their communication has been terrible, you'll have to go to their forum or Assembler for updates. I hope both PSIO and DCIO make it to production, because I will buy them immediately.

"patronage" or whatever you want to call it, still entitles the patron to basic information ESPECIALLY if said info does not jive with what was promised when the hat was passed around begging for patrons. it is particularly irksome when promised deadlines come and go [for MONTHS mind you] without so much as a post on the website.

I don't have time to go to assembler to chase down the project to weed through numerous superfluous posts just to read up on very little details, I just want basic info like Greg reported... thy could have done that but didn't for whatever reason, would have taken them 5 mins or less to keep me, a "patron" informed.

/end rant

• Like 1

I agree with the last post. When someone asks about a particular topic in a forum, many people's immediate response is to refer them to other posts that often consists of many of pages full of irrelevant info, and you often have to wade through numerous posts to get your answer, rather than someone just answering your question...

I am becoming more and more wary of non existing kickstarter products and paying up front for stuff which does not exist.

The Retron 5 which was suppose to be released before Christmas has now apparently been delayed until April. There are a few kickstarter projects I bid on. Most of which are delayed or overdue with some posting very few updates as to what is happening (mostly PC games). One Music related one I bid on over a year back has still not delievered all the perks that was promised.

If a kickstarter falls through or you dont get everything you were promised, it does not seem like the donater paying the money up front is protected about getting their money back if it still falls through. Be wary! Sometimes it is better to wait until the product has been made and released and then pay for it.

I am becoming more and more wary of non existing kickstarter products and paying up front for stuff which does not exist.

The Retron 5 which was suppose to be released before Christmas has now apparently been delayed until April. There are a few kickstarter projects I bid on. Most of which are delayed or overdue with some posting very few updates as to what is happening (mostly PC games). One Music related one I bid on over a year back has still not delievered all the perks that was promised.

If a kickstarter falls through or you dont get everything you were promised, it does not seem like the donater paying the money up front is protected about getting their money back if it still falls through. Be wary! Sometimes it is better to wait until the product has been made and released and then pay for it.

Uhmm... You do understand first of allwhat a "donation" is right? Do you also understand that this is not a secure investment and if for whatever reason it falls, you get squat as probabñy the money has been spent on reseatch, prototypes, whatever? If it makes you that unconfortable and think they owe you, just wsit for final products.

If I pay for something in return for a promised Perk - be that a physical item or piece of software, I expect to get that item or a refund. Anything else is pure theft regardless of whether the money has been spent on something else.

From memory something like this happened with the Pandora. I know someone who did something like this for a retro magazine and then the magazine never happened, so he lost a few friends as a result.

If I pay for something in return for a promised Perk - be that a physical item or piece of software, I expect to get that item or a refund. Anything else is pure theft regardless of whether the money has been spent on something else.

From memory something like this happened with the Pandora. I know someone who did something like this for a retro magazine and then the magazine never happened, so he lost a few friends as a result.

Under normal circumstances, yes, but that's not how Kickstarter works. It's implied that you're going to get something - you're putting your faith in the intentions of the people doing the Kickstarter that they'll deliver - but there is absolutely no guarantee. It's only slightly less risky than supporting casual homebrew development. I don't mind waiting for certain things, though I do mind when I know that it almost certainly won't get delivered and I'm out the money (example, the scam that was 3-D Vision on Fundable).

• Like 1

Under normal circumstances, yes, but that's not how Kickstarter works. It's implied that you're going to get something - you're putting your faith in the intentions of the people doing the Kickstarter that they'll deliver - but there is absolutely no guarantee. It's only slightly less risky than supporting casual homebrew development. I don't mind waiting for certain things, though I do mind when I know that it almost certainly won't get delivered and I'm out the money (example, the scam that was 3-D Vision on Fundable).

To be clear your homebrew scenario depends on it being a pre-order, right? I don't ever plan on releasing a game without having the carts already made.

To be clear your homebrew scenario depends on it being a pre-order, right? I don't ever plan on releasing a game without having the carts already made.

That's correct. Stock on hand is very different than the promise of something. I must admit that I'm more and more favoring stock on hand as I've been burned by promises before. I won't name names, but some famous entities in the AtariAge community have now well fallen into the "will no longer pre-order because it takes years to see something through to actual release" category. I still usually support Kickstarter even with the inherent risk because it's much higher profile and a larger number of people could get screwed, so there's a bit more accountability. With that said, I've given up supporting most software Kickstarters because the naturally development cycle can be one or (usually) several years long. In that case I'd much rather buy it when it comes out.

• Like 1

If I pay for something in return for a promised Perk - be that a physical item or piece of software,

No you don't. You clearly don't understand what Kickstarter is if you think that way. Kickstarter is not a shop, there is NOTHING sold to you. You contribute to the funding of a project out of good will, you do not pay for an item. What you get is the promise that you will get a thank you out of good will. No guarantees as you did not buy a thing.

If you don't understand that it's your own fault. Read the small print.

This is just how an investment works. It may pay off, and it may off. A bit of a gamble. Kickstarter does not hide that fact, they have actually tried to clarify that in the past. I am still waiting for projects to get done too, but I can't claim I didn't know what I was getting into.

Edited by 108 Stars

I find it kind of funny that one comment of mine regarding how i believe if you donate money for something, and that entity has a website they use to releases news updates, that the entity you gave money to is obligated to post information as often as is possible, when relevant and useful.

in my case PSIO, did not update for MONTHS on end, and furthermore missed several deadlines that in my opinion, required an explanation and news updates at the very least

i concede that if you donate to a project you should have no expectations beyond which the donatee promises, but often deadlines are missed and news is with-held.

bad mojo.

NeoFlash is notorious for going months/years with no product updates.

there stuff is junk. they thought that cornered the market until Krikzz came along. they made a major flaw in the design in which they forcd customers to buy the memory paks instad of just making it USB or sd/micro-sd card

plus they don't normally ask for donations do they, do they take pre-orders on stuff that is not finished yet or only when it is done and they are waiting for shipments of their stock

• Like 1

Just a quick update, the APF MP-1000 SD flash cart is coming along nicely. It can load multiple games, and the creator purchased a batch of 50 boards. If you are interested, keep an eye on: https://tech.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/apf_consoles_and_computers/conversations/messages (might need to register)

An upgraded version of the harmony cart is in the works for our beloved 2600's. Read all about it here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220696-new-harmony-product-harmony-forte/

Also a little warning, the producer of the pokemon mini flash carts is currently afk (with my and other's money). I don't recommend attempting to order a pokemon mini flash cart at this point.

Edited by PsychedelicShaman
  • Like 1