IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

This guy in Spain makes the coolest SD2IEC there is. Looks just like the C64 disk drive! His includes a system reset button, some do not, and you either have to buy it separately or constantly power off the system to go back to the menu.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-64C-128-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD2IEC-SD-Card-Reader-/261395546945?

$(KGrHqJ,!k4FE)-kPG5NBSbhLvn9F!~~60_12.J

This guy in Spain makes the coolest SD2IEC there is. Looks just like the C64 disk drive! His includes a system reset button, some do not, and you either have to buy it separately or constantly power off the system to go back to the menu.

Ah yes, I couldn't resist the way it looks so I have one of those as well :D

The thing about the one I picked out is that it connects through the floppy & tape inputs, leaving the cartridge port open, a very nice feature that also happens to be the same on the VIC20 I think this works on both computers and can be stacked as multiple disk drive emulators, set with different floppy IDs

All right forgive my massive (and off topic) vintage computer stupidity...what games can I actually play on a VIC 20 assuming the SD2IEC does work on it (and the ebay auctions for them at least state that they do)? It can't play C64 disk games right? Even with the memory expanded via a cart? Or can it?

I obviously know jack and you-know-what about these systems but see only carts and tapes so far as the VIC on ebay. Were there disks for it?

I bought my VIC 20 on impulse without knowing a ton about it....my entire Commodore experience up until now was being friends with the neighbor kid up the street who had a 64. And as a console kid he always had to do the loading, etc.

yes you CAN play VIC20 Games because it has the same port layout. the VIC20 has some wonderful games but no you can not play C64 games on it, because it pre-dates the C64

check out this cool video montage someone here posted a while back, the thread is around:

do a search and go over to Lemon64 http://www.lemon64.com/ topns of links to VIC stuff in the forums and elswhere on that site, also one of the best sites for the C64

I love the VIC which is why I the special cart for it that has every cart, game and app for the VIC20, I believe it is listed on the front page of this thread. the backlog on waiting for one is long, takes like a year to get it, the guy who builds them does them one at a time in his spare time. but it is the coolest thing ever

edit: there are many more of these game montages on youtube, go check 'em out, this is the first in a series

I just finished installing one of the USB kits for the 3DO that Stone Age Gamer carries. I went with the FZ-10 version as I had a spare laying around. Definitely not an easy kit to install, but it does seem to work well. The hardest part was the removal of an 80 pin surface mount IC. Even with access to a very nice hot air rework station, it took a lot of effort to get the chip off without destroying the board and resulted in destroying the chip. Once that was done, it was 20 some odd solder connections, most of which were pretty tight. So unless you are very comfortable with and have a nice soldering iron, I'd suggest paying for the installation. It would be very easy to bridge something and who knows what that would do to your console or mod board.

As far as using it, seems like it does a great job of loading isos as advertised. The menu is basic, but very functional. The only issue I've run across so far is I have been unable to get the NVRAM to File backup to work. Hopefully the developer can give me some insight on what I'm doing wrong. Interestingly enough, it does not seem to operate any faster than it did with the CDROM installed. I guess I was hoping it would help with the load times, but I'm sure it's constrained by the speed it expects the data to be read. Not a huge deal by any means, just an observation.

But overall, this is one of the coolest kits I've every installed and hopefully will open the door for more solid state replacements for CD based consoles.

• Like 1

I just finished installing one of the USB kits for the 3DO that Stone Age Gamer carries. I went with the FZ-10 version as I had a spare laying around. Definitely not an easy kit to install, but it does seem to work well. The hardest part was the removal of an 80 pin surface mount IC. Even with access to a very nice hot air rework station, it took a lot of effort to get the chip off without destroying the board and resulted in destroying the chip. Once that was done, it was 20 some odd solder connections, most of which were pretty tight. So unless you are very comfortable with and have a nice soldering iron, I'd suggest paying for the installation. It would be very easy to bridge something and who knows what that would do to your console or mod board.

As far as using it, seems like it does a great job of loading isos as advertised. The menu is basic, but very functional. The only issue I've run across so far is I have been unable to get the NVRAM to File backup to work. Hopefully the developer can give me some insight on what I'm doing wrong. Interestingly enough, it does not seem to operate any faster than it did with the CDROM installed. I guess I was hoping it would help with the load times, but I'm sure it's constrained by the speed it expects the data to be read. Not a huge deal by any means, just an observation.

But overall, this is one of the coolest kits I've every installed and hopefully will open the door for more solid state replacements for CD based consoles.

I think it is faster, but you are right its not instant or anything, it probably is constrained by something. I have other customers say it seemed faster as well.

I think it is faster, but you are right its not instant or anything, it probably is constrained by something. I have other customers say it seemed faster as well.

Just wanted to ask- I have an FZ-10 system and am wondering if it would be possible to send it to you so as to have the USB mod installed professionally. Cost would not be an issue on that...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-64C-128-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-SD2IEC-SD-Card-Reader-/261395546945?

$(KGrHqJ,!k4FE)-kPG5NBSbhLvn9F!~~60_12.J

Just picked up one of these. He added a new purchase option to add a button to soft reset the C64. As much as I've used my uIEC that I put in a cart case, I won't miss having that flimsy wire w/ the tape part connector on it. :)

Just picked up one of these. He added a new purchase option to add a button to soft reset the C64. As much as I've used my uIEC that I put in a cart case, I won't miss having that flimsy wire w/ the tape part connector on it. :)

His model looks incredibly well made as I said. That's all the features the SD2IEC can have. Sadly the Ultimate 1541-II, which plays far more games, isn't near as pretty.

Plus the cost of the USB device itself, or is it $70 and shipping for everything? This is something I really want to try out so I can finally get into the 3do library! :)

$70 is just for the service. This considered an expert level mod. As Its 98PaceCar said its not something for a beginner should attempt. I would suggest checking it out on our site, its not a cheap mod.

$70 is just for the service. This considered an expert level mod. As Its 98PaceCar said its not something for a beginner should attempt. I would suggest checking it out on our site, its not a cheap mod.

Thanks for confirming that- I thought $70 plus shipping for it all sounded like an astonishing bargain ;)

Anyways, I have no doubt that this isn't a simple mod- and would never trust myself to accomplish it. I'll send a PM about what might be the total price of having this done :)

Thanks for confirming that- I thought $70 plus shipping for it all sounded like an astonishing bargain ;)

Anyways, I have no doubt that this isn't a simple mod- and would never trust myself to accomplish it. I'll send a PM about what might be the total price of having this done :)

We don't really handle sales through the forum here, please use our site for purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

The GD-Emu project has resurfaced. It's a SD-based GD-ROM replacement. This is not related to the Serial Port SD Adapters, but instead is meant to replace the drive itself (similar to the 3DO USB Device). The person who made it does not seem very interested in releasing it unfortunately, so please leave a comment on his livejournal if you would like to see them released.

http://dknute.livejournal.com/42609.html

Edited by PsychedelicShaman

The GD-Emu project has resurfaced. It's a SD-based GD-ROM replacement. This is not related to the Serial Port SD Adapters, but instead is meant to replace the drive itself (similar to the 3DO USB Device). The person who made it does not seem very interested in releasing it unfortunately, so please leave a comment on his livejournal if you would like to see them released.

http://dknute.livejournal.com/42609.html

I actually contacted this person a long time ago and told him if he got it working that I would pay him royalties and we would get it manufactured. He didn't even seem that interested in that, which basically would be him doing nothing besides maybe offering support and getting paid. So tell him StoneAgeGamer.com would love to help him distribute this item if he ever finishes it! :)

• Like 1

Seems I bought mine from a different overseas seller who makes a similar case. Mine unfortunately isn't as nicely done as this one. For some reason I thought what was in this pic was what I was getting. Oh well, still much nicer than a bare board. :)