IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Brand new multi-cart for the VTech CreatiVision - made in Italy by the guys at Treviso RC.

Very similar to the one I produced in 2007, but with different featured ROM programs.

I have 1 copy. It's very well made and it works fine.

Colour manual is also included in Italian and English.

URL: http://www.madrigaldesign.it/creativemu/multirom.php

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sega Saturn updates....there are now FOUR concurrent projects being worked on to deliver a flash/multi-game interface! Yes, four, after a decade of nothing.

1. Saroo (China): [Cartridge Slot Interface] It's not easy following progress on this one, due to the language barrier and the lack of updates/interaction. A new version is being designed.

2. Rhea (Poland): [internal Disc Drive Replacement] This is by Deunan, maker of the GD EMU Dreamcast drive replacement. He has just started, but already has made the most progress. Will likely have to sell two different versions (20 pin and 21 pin). There's also a question as to whether some existing CUE-based game dumps will work.

3. Satiator (Japan): [Expansion/VCD/MPEG Interface] Project began with a full dump of the Saturn's CD-ROM Block, unlocking a number of options. The designer jhl has progressed over several months to a working SD card prototype that should plug directly into the Video CD card port on the left rear of the system. A host of features (menu, region patch, CD audio, USB, etc.) are needed to be worked on, and his free time from work/study is limited. Should he succeed on most of the features, this might be the one for me.

4. Pseudo-Saturn: [Action Replay reflash] Somewhat community collaboration, but this will allow you to reflash an Action Replay, and this will act as a bootloader. I haven't read the thread that well, because it requires work I'd rather not do, but the compatibility is pretty high with burned discs.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Did I ever mention the newly released "Multirom" cartridge for VTech CreatiVision (aka Dick Smith Wizzard), by the guys at TrevisoRC?

To date, 25 copies only were made, half of which sold already.

http://www.madrigaldesign.it/creativemu/multirom.php

The CreatiVision/Dick Smith Wizzard seems to be an extremely rare console; even more rare than the Super Cassette Vision, Sega SG-1000 or Arcadia 2001.

This is the only CreatiVision for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREATIVISION-DICK-SMITH-WIZZARD-CONSOLE-AUTO-CHASE-SONIC-INVADER-BASIC-carts-/271681419076?pt=AU_Consoles&hash=item3f41797744&_uhb=1

It's in Australia and it's not even complete (missing power adapter). I suspect not many people have a CreatiVision. Seems like a neat console though, like an earlier, slightly less powerful ColecoVision, with a few minor differences.

If there was a multicart for the Super Cassette Vision, I'd buy it!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREATIVISION-DICK-SMITH-WIZZARD-CONSOLE-AUTO-CHASE-SONIC-INVADER-BASIC-carts-/271681419076?pt=AU_Consoles&hash=item3f41797744&_uhb=1

It's in Australia and it's not even complete (missing power adapter). I suspect not many people have a CreatiVision. Seems like a neat console though, like an earlier, slightly less powerful ColecoVision, with a few minor differences.

The unit on Ebay Australia is not even working properly. It has serious problems with the joysticks and keyboard. Also, from my 15-years experience collecting CreatiVision, it's quite hard to fix joysticks and keyboard.

CreatiVision is rare, but they pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Anyway it's not less powerful than the Colecovision. The hardware is exactly the same (same video, audio an memory), the only difference is the CPU: 6502 on the CreatiVision, Z80 on the Colecovision.

Rumurs say that the Colecovision was engineered by Coleco, after seeing the prototype of the CreatiVision - which they refused to buy and distribute. This is the reason why the two machines hit the market almost simultaneously (CreatiVision 6 months earlier) and have almost the same hardware.

Oh man, did I miss it? :(

Ditto! :( If so, what were the discounted prices?

Unfortunately, it does look like the sale ended.

I only found out about it last night. The prices were quite good. Basically the single unit prices were what the price normally is for 10+ pieces.

Anyway it's not less powerful than the Colecovision. The hardware is exactly the same (same video, audio an memory), the only difference is the CPU: 6502 on the CreatiVision, Z80 on the Colecovision.

For some reason I thought the CreatiVision had slightly less memory than the ColecoVision. My mistake. I knew they shared the same video and audio chips, though. And they look similar.

Rumurs say that the Colecovision was engineered by Coleco, after seeing the prototype of the CreatiVision - which they refused to buy and distribute. This is the reason why the two machines hit the market almost simultaneously (CreatiVision 6 months earlier) and have almost the same hardware.

I thought the ColecoVision was released in the summer (August) of 1982. If the CreatiVision was released only 6 months prior, it would still be 1982 (March). I had read that the CreatiVision was released in Hong Kong in 1981. Can you give more clarity on release date?

For some reason I thought the CreatiVision had slightly less memory than the ColecoVision. My mistake. I knew they shared the same video and audio chips, though. And they look similar.

I thought the ColecoVision was released in the summer (August) of 1982. If the CreatiVision was released only 6 months prior, it would still be 1982 (March). I had read that the CreatiVision was released in Hong Kong in 1981. Can you give more clarity on release date?

The video chip of CreatiVision and Colecovision works with 16 KB RAM. I am unsure if there are any computers using the same VDP (TMS 9918/9928/9929) with less memory than that. But I'm likely to believe that's the standard.

The CreatiVision was officially released at the end of 1981, but I am reasonably sure that it actually hit the shelves in the very early months of 1982.

I have dumped several EPROMs and have noticed the production dates. Never found any EPROM being produced before 1982.

Sorry I can't be more precise than this. Not easy getting information on the hardware production dates.

Well would you like to know what makes the real difference between CreatiVision games and other games of the same era? You would say "the graphics" or "the 4-voices sound" but well... you would be just partially right! :)

The real nice thing is the 2-Players-simultaneously modes in most games!

There are a few games turning out to be surprisingly funny in 2-Players mode. Sonic Invader sports well 32 game modes, that's all the possible combinations of 1, 2 and 4 players, easy, hard, with visible/invisible aliens, versus, cooperative, etc.

In 2009 we had a Sonic Invader tournament at the Video Games History expo in Italy, and people had lots of fun playing in 2P-versus mode (score as many points as possible in 1 minute, against an opponent).

This year at Milan Games Week, also in Italy, I had brought my CreatiVision with me at the fair, and exposed it at the "Retro" pavilion. The game was Crazy Pucker (Pacman clone). Beside of it, there was an Atari 2600 and an Intellivision, both playing Pacman. Guess which console was the most played? Obviously the CreatiVision, because you could play with 2 players simultaneously, both as cooperative mode (single score) or "versus" (challenge your friend for the highest score).

The console played about 6-7 hours continuously... around 6PM it was starting to display graphic glitches and odd behavour due to overheating :-D

Edited by MADrigal

• 1 month later...

Krikzz has released the Mega Everdrive v2!

From his site:

Features:

• Supports 99% of games from SEGA library
• 128mbit (16mbyte) PSRAM.
• 120mbit (10mbyte) max ROM size.
• 256Kbyte Battery RAM
• Firmware update through SD card
• FAT32 file system supported.
• SD cards up to 32GB.
• Instant loading (1-2 sec).
• Built in audio playback. WAV, GYM, TFC
• USB port for homebrew development and for future features.
• In-game menu that allows access back to menu system without leaving the sofa.
• Snapshot Saves.
• Regular game battery back-up saves.
• Genesis, Mega-drive, Sega Master System, and 32X games supported.
• Hardware MEGAKEY.
• CD BIOS loading.
• CD RAM cart feature.
• Cheats feature. Game Genie and Play-Action Replay format supported.

Advantages of Mega EverDrive-V2 compared to Mega EverDrive-V1:
• Battery RAM for saves. It allow to save without need to push reset.
• Better compatibility with clone systems.
• Improved hardware design and reduced power consumption.
• Improved software.

It's currently in stock through his store.

http://shop.retrogate.com/Mega-EverDrive-v2-MEGA-V2.htm

Edited by goldenegg

It's largely the same upgrade that he did with the N64 Everdrive (v2.5 to v3.0), allowed saving without holding down reset. Given that Mega does "snapshot saves," I don't know if this is such a big difference. One positive is that it's replacing the MED v1, at the same price. The ED64 involved a sizable price increase.

The ED64 v3 is not quite the leap from the ED64 v2 that the Mega Everdrive was from the Everdrive MD. In addition to the no-holding reset battery save, it also offers a real time clock used by Animal Crossing Doibutsu no Mor (both released only in Japan), the ability to use a true 64MB for ROMs (preventing graphical corruption in Pokemon Stadium 2) and a USB port for developers.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been bumped in a while.

Question: Has anyone had issues with the Everdrive 64 (v2.5)? I bought one from SAG at the end of December and just now got around to trying it out. My system seemingly won't pass a full signal to the display device (either my TV or my Elgato Game Capture) when the ED64 is in the system. I say not a full signal, because it cycles through a few colors across the whole screen in a very faint manner, whereas it doesn't do this when no cart is in the system. The Elgato registers it as no signal, and my TV thinks there's no signal either (the "Video 2" input label is constantly displaying, which it only does when there's no signal going to the set). I've tried different carts in the same system and they work fine, so my console itself is functional. I have tried the Everdrive in another console as well, and nothing comes up on screen. I am probably going to contact SAG about it, but I'm not sure if they will do anything (it's been three months since I purchased it). Are there known compatibility issues perhaps with certain revisions of N64 hardware (if any exist)?