IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

• 3 weeks later...

funny thing is, I finally found a wondermagic last year but it did not have the power supply, but I bought it thinking that would be no problem. turns out the power supply is some really fucked up requirement that none of the generic radio shack types can match.... very frustrating. if anyone knows how to get power to the wondermagic, let me know. I'm baffled by it.

i always used an official original sega megadrive psu on mine and that worked just fine assuming the genesis psu is the same spec it should power yours just fine (also used the same psu on the visoly/bung flashers for the gb, gba and ngpc).

Good and long list of different products. Good work.

Some suggestions i have:

- maybe some of the FPGA-products, which also use SD-Cards could be added also the the list. Like for example the Minimig (Mini-Amiga) and so on

- the HxC Floppy Emulator should not only be mentioned in the Atari-ST category, but also in Amiga and Amstrad category of the list. Because in the meantime with newest firmware, it runs nearly 100% of all Amiga-software and is very famous in Amiga forums

- the Gotek Floppy Emulator (also called Cortex Floppy Emulator) can also be used now on different retro-systems. There exist an Amiga-firmware for it since some time and recently there exist also versions of the HxC-firmware which can be flashed on the Gotek, so you can use it this hardware now on Amiga, Atari-ST and Amstrad too

Good and long list of different products. Good work.

Some suggestions i have:

- maybe some of the FPGA-products, which also use SD-Cards could be added also the the list. Like for example the Minimig (Mini-Amiga) and so on

- the HxC Floppy Emulator should not only be mentioned in the Atari-ST category, but also in Amiga and Amstrad category of the list. Because in the meantime with newest firmware, it runs nearly 100% of all Amiga-software and is very famous in Amiga forums

- the Gotek Floppy Emulator (also called Cortex Floppy Emulator) can also be used now on different retro-systems. There exist an Amiga-firmware for it since some time and recently there exist also versions of the HxC-firmware which can be flashed on the Gotek, so you can use it this hardware now on Amiga, Atari-ST and Amstrad too

I don't agree. None of the above are flashcarts or multicarts. Fpga system clones are not a flashcart for the original console. HXC is a floppy emulator and so is gotek. Besides you are only citing computers and most of the flashcarts and multicarts are for consoles.

As long as the device will operate on the original hardware, it's appropriate here.

PS: I've seen on the Krikzz forum that Igor identified the issue between his V2 Turbo Everdrive and TG-16 systems. Something to do with a longer bus on NA systems vs. PC-Engine. He summarized the versions as follows:

TED V2.1 (FW 1.1) - some working, some are not, better than V2.2

TED V2.2 (FW 1.2) - most carts are not working properly on US TG16

TED V2.1 (FW 1.3) - always pass tests!

TED V2.3 (FW 1.4) - prototype board, but all tests passed!

*Make note that firmware is NOT user updateable, and his FPGA can only be flashed once. Therefore, any version that has an issue, cannot be fixed. You'll have to send it back for an exchange once he verifies his newest prototype does resolve the problems.

I don't agree. None of the above are flashcarts or multicarts. Fpga system clones are not a flashcart for the original console. HXC is a floppy emulator and so is gotek. Besides you are only citing computers and most of the flashcarts and multicarts are for consoles.

Yes it`s true, that these are not multicarts or flashcarts, but in the list are even now lots of Floppy-Emulators mentioned. There are alot computers mentioned, have you read the list completely?

Look, there is the SD2IEC, the 1541Ultimate, Chameleon and so on in the list now. When these are mentioned, why not mentioning all Floppy-Emulators? Then we would have a complete list. And because of FPGA-systems - the Chameleon is also a FPGA-system, which can run a C64-core alone, without a real C64. So when the Chameleon is mentioned, why not mentioning the Minimig too? Especially because the firmware for the original Minimig-board is very compatibel in the meantime, because of lots and lots of updates. Would be great to have a complete list.

But i agree, that the name of the thread then is not 100% correct and should be "Flashcart, Multicart, Floppy-Emulators and FPGA List".

Edited by AW127

As long as the device will operate on the original hardware, it's appropriate here.

PS: I've seen on the Krikzz forum that Igor identified the issue between his V2 Turbo Everdrive and TG-16 systems. Something to do with a longer bus on NA systems vs. PC-Engine. He summarized the versions as follows:

TED V2.1 (FW 1.1) - some working, some are not, better than V2.2

TED V2.2 (FW 1.2) - most carts are not working properly on US TG16

TED V2.1 (FW 1.3) - always pass tests!

TED V2.3 (FW 1.4) - prototype board, but all tests passed!

*Make note that firmware is NOT user updateable, and his FPGA can only be flashed once. Therefore, any version that has an issue, cannot be fixed. You'll have to send it back for an exchange once he verifies his newest prototype does resolve the problems.

Dang dude, I really dodged a bullet with my TED v1.2... |:)

There have been similar issues getting DSP to work on the newer Super Everdrive v2 which don't use donors. I'm glad I bought my SED v2 and harvested my own DSP chip, prior to the new version coming out...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Dang dude, I really dodged a bullet with my TED v1.2... | :)

There have been similar issues getting DSP to work on the newer Super Everdrive v2 which don't use donors. I'm glad I bought my SED v2 and harvested my own DSP chip, prior to the new version coming out...

It's surprising, because Krikzz has been exceedingly careful about releasing buggy hardware. That being said, the inability to update the firmware is an awful design choice on his part. I haven't heard of the DSP issues, but I stopped following SED development once I got the SD2SNES.

It's surprising, because Krikzz has been exceedingly careful about releasing buggy hardware. That being said, the inability to update the firmware is an awful design choice on his part. I haven't heard of the DSP issues, but I stopped following SED development once I got the SD2SNES.

No offence, but until they get FPGA implementations of SA-1 and FX working in SD2SNES, or someone comes out with a flashcart that does, my SED v2 with real DSP1 is good enough for me.

IMO, krikzz is trying to fix a product that ain't broken. I can understand that to an extent because improved features means more sales. But he may be stretching himself too thin. I have everything save for Game Gear and SMS, and my Everdrive MD handles SMS just fine...

The only flash cart I opted for premium option was 64ED v3, which supports save backup even after forgetting to reset, RTC (useless to me), and perhaps the coolest perk of all, NES ROM support. :cool:

Edited by stardust4ever

IMO, krikzz is trying to fix a product that ain't broken.

The new Turbo Everdrive is built with a new lower power chips which will be needed for future flash carts, like the one he's making for GBA. It should actually provide better compatibility with systems which can't properly power other flash carts. There's no way for Krikzz to validate his carts of every model of system, so there's always going to be a certain amount of field testing by buyers.

In the case of moving to the new chip for the Super Everdrive, it's to stop having to take components from original carts. I'm not a huge fan of rendering original carts unplayable, so I'm happy to see a move in this direction.

No offence, but until they get FPGA implementations of SA-1 and FX working in SD2SNES, or someone comes out with a flashcart that does, my SED v2 with real DSP1 is good enough for me.

IMO, krikzz is trying to fix a product that ain't broken. I can understand that to an extent because improved features means more sales. But he may be stretching himself too thin. I have everything save for Game Gear and SMS, and my Everdrive MD handles SMS just fine...

The only flash cart I opted for premium option was 64ED v3, which supports save backup even after forgetting to reset, RTC (useless to me), and perhaps the coolest perk of all, NES ROM support. :cool:

I have no qualms with using the SED over the SD2SNES, especially given the price difference! Ironically I didn't go for the N64 v3 because the v2 was so much cheaper, and I'm fine with holding down reset for now!

The new Turbo Everdrive is built with a new lower power chips which will be needed for future flash carts, like the one he's making for GBA. It should actually provide better compatibility with systems which can't properly power other flash carts. There's no way for Krikzz to validate his carts of every model of system, so there's always going to be a certain amount of field testing by buyers.

In the case of moving to the new chip for the Super Everdrive, it's to stop having to take components from original carts. I'm not a huge fan of rendering original carts unplayable, so I'm happy to see a move in this direction.

Krikzz should have fully tested the TED v2 on a US TG-16. I believe he's had one for awhile, and that's a big share of his customer-base. That was a big omission on his part. I'm fine with field-testing, but you can't have that AND a FPGA which cannot be field-updated with new firmware. You leave the customer up a creek without a paddle.

Krikzz should have fully tested the TED v2 on a US TG-16. I believe he's had one for awhile, and that's a big share of his customer-base. That was a big omission on his part. I'm fine with field-testing, but you can't have that AND a FPGA which cannot be field-updated with new firmware. You leave the customer up a creek without a paddle.

He didn't have one, as he was using a PAL model as there wasn't expected to be a difference. Even if he did have one, some carts worked and others didn't. He could have easily had a system and run successful tests with it.

Is there some reason why the FPGA cannot be updated? I assume Kirkzz has some hardware method of flashing it internally. Maybe Jtag or something similar. Other flash carts had a special ROM you could use to flash the Bios. N8 had an NES ROM with mapper 255.

He used the cheaper one-time programmable. Which means it's locked to whatever code he used.

i hate to point this out but the ed64 v2 (and 2.5) both happily run nes roms (on a us n64, for some reason they play in b&w on a pal system) and don't forget if you use the alternate firmware you can also run gb, msx and game gear (but for the sake of your ears mute your sound for gg games).

He used the cheaper one-time programmable. Which means it's locked to whatever code he used.

So write once and done? That sucks...

Yup, as I wrote, a major design snafu on Krikzz part, he should have known better. If he intends on making further models without the ability to upgrade firmware he's making an even bigger mistake.

But still, ROMs load sooo fast on the N64 v3, it's ridiculous. Conker's Bad Fur Day takes like a couple seconds. Why do I have to justify buying the premium version anyway? :P

Hey you don't have to justify premium purchases with me, I've certainly made my share! :o I already had the v2.5 in a red case (as I wanted) and such, and didn't see enough of a reason to upgrade. The reset hold to save seemed like the only major difference.

How well do NES and Gameboy games run on an N64 ED?

Haven't tried Gameboy, but NES games run well for the most part. There's still something "off" about the emulation in general, not a fan of it. Prefer to use my NES instead.