IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

Well, FDS works on the Twin Fami... All it does is locking access to the cart port, not disabling it (I haven't tried to check this tho). The most likely explanation is that when you switch from cart to FDS on the Twin Fami, the system power the RAMpack that is connected to the Famicom mainboard and directly feed the cart port. So obviously you gotta lock the cart doors so the system doesn't load data from both the RAMpack and a cartridge. All I really need is to plug the stick at the bridge between the RAMpack and the floppy drive that is accessible under the system. Because thansfully, probably for quick diagnosis reason, Sharp made it that way.

But indeed, finding the right pinout for it is going to be trouble and any help it welcome :)

I've identified the pinout and put it on FDSStick's main page.

I'm also getting some adapter boards built that will let you connect a RAM adapter cable to the rear port on the Twin Famicom.

There's also an alternative to the FDSStick which will hold pretty much every FDS game ever made and then some: http://fdsemu.com

http://shop.krikzz.com/EverDrive-N8-Famicom-EDN8FAM.htm

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=34

Both products support practically the entire FDS library and neither requires the RAM adapter. :)

http://shop.krikzz.com/EverDrive-N8-Famicom-EDN8FAM.htm

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=34

Both products support practically the entire FDS library and neither requires the RAM adapter. :)

But -- unless something has changed -- they don't emulate the FDS sound channel accurately, especially the EverDrive N8. I also seem to remember that a couple major FDS games don't work properly without hacks.

• Like 1

Yeah, those have their place too. I added the FDS support into PowerPak.

- PC emulators work great, they're free, you have save states, etc.

- Flash carts run on a console but the FDS hardware is all emulated. A few games might not work, the sound may be a bit off.

- FDSstick replaces the mechanical drive, everything else is original.

- If you need the "full experience" buy all original hardware. There is some charm to whirring motors, flipping disks, etc that you can't get any other way.

It's just a question of how low do you want to go, and FDSStick fills another niche.

• Like 1

- If you need the "full experience" buy all original hardware. There is some charm to whirring motors, flipping disks, etc that you can't get any other way.

A charm that wear out when you find that the copy of Metroid you own was erased and replaced with Tennis Cup :D That wear out when you fiddle for the 4th bazillion time with the timing of the drive.

:D

• Like 1

I recently took another look at that GD-EMU device for the DC. How well does it work? It looks amazing! I may pick one up when they're available again (I can sell my DC collection for extra money too).

Excellent device.

I owned one, as well as the USB-GDROM.

After extensive testing, I sold the GD-EMU and kept the USB-GDROM. I like the USB hard drive access way better than faffing about with SD cards and programs to manage the menus, etc.

As well, the ordering process for the GD-EMU is epic, and there is VERY limited availability for devices.

The USB-GDROM, however, can be ordered today from Stone Age Gamer:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/dreamcast-usb-en.html

There are valid pros and cons for both devices, so it will boil down to what the best-fit for your end-use scenario is.

Game on! :grin:

Excellent device.

I owned one, as well as the USB-GDROM.

After extensive testing, I sold the GD-EMU and kept the USB-GDROM. I like the USB hard drive access way better than faffing about with SD cards and programs to manage the menus, etc.

As well, the ordering process for the GD-EMU is epic, and there is VERY limited availability for devices.

The USB-GDROM, however, can be ordered today from Stone Age Gamer:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/dreamcast-usb-en.html

There are valid pros and cons for both devices, so it will boil down to what the best-fit for your end-use scenario is.

Game on! :grin:

Bit of a price increase there though. :-o

My bad. That folder naming thing is a bit annoying. How are you supposed to know what game you're opening?

The user-developed menu app "GDMenu" looks like this....

2u7lpx5.jpg.png

They also created an SD card PC program to load the games.

XrW7l1L.png

So just opening an SD card, you wouldn't know, but using the PC app, you can. It's actually very handy. USB GDRom has a pretty crappy menu.

Yes the first one, though they may have updated the GUI by now. The USB GD menu as you see is absolute crap. No "3rd party" has yet to tackle it, and I believe that's due to resistance from MNEMO, the designer. However, it's highly compatible, and although a lot more money, the lure of using the same USB HDD which you're swapping between this, a modded Wii or 360, is obviously high.

20150702_170444.jpg?t=1435937226

Really? I just bought a SanDisk 2 GB Micro SD Card for Famicom EverDrive N8 , I don't need a big Card like a 4 or a 8 GB one

I put the Copied the OS in there from krikzz site..The lastest version is 13

I'm getting Error A7, Tried formatting in FAT, still the same thing..

There is a bug in the Everdrive N8 firmware that prevents it from working with smaller SD card. You'll need to use a 4Gb SDHC on it.

There is a bug in the Everdrive N8 firmware that prevents it from working with smaller SD card. You'll need to use a 4Gb SDHC on it.

Maybe it can be worked around if you format the card with FAT32. The default formatting option for a 2GB card is FAT16 (and FAT32 for a 4GB card). Krikzz is explicitly stated FAT16 was not supported for the EverDrive MD. Maybe he did the same for the EverDrive N8 and forgot to mention it.

Maybe it can be worked around if you format the card with FAT32. The default formatting option for a 2GB card is FAT16 (and FAT32 for a 4GB card). Krikzz is explicitly stated FAT16 was not supported for the EverDrive MD. Maybe he did the same for the EverDrive N8 and forgot to mention it.

I dunno. I have a 2Gb micro in my GB Everdrive and my Turbo Everdrive. My Famicom N8 uses a 4Gb micro and flat out refused to work with a 2Gb. Surprisingly most of the 8-bit systems each fit entirely on a 2Gb or smaller card with complete decompressed No Intro sets. You just need to keep it under about 250 titles or less per folder.

2Gb cards could actually go up in price since they stopped making them and many legacy devices do not behave well or work with 4Gb cards.

Dunno, but on the web shop it says the EverDrive N8 NES should work with SD & SDHC up to 32 GB, formatted as FAT, FAT16 or FAT32. Your milage may certainly vary, but it seems odd to me if the manufacturer explicitely should state that some combinations of hardware and formatting are supposed to work, while in practise you don't get them to work.