IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

The ED64 v3 was mostly a minor upgrade. It fixes Pokemon Stadium 2, adds a RTC to the Japanese version of Animal Crossing and adds battery backed saves so you do not have to hold reset when you power off the console to save your games. However, it also comes with the UltraCIC chip that, when upgraded to v2 (via JTAG programmer I believe), handles all CIC revisions. This fixes RareWare games like DK64, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo Tooie (all regions) so you can play them without hacks.

Neo Geo's a bitch to make working everything-in-one multicart because a lot of the design have extra chips, even various extra CPU on the cart itself. You'd be looking at getting a few FPGA to emulate every single possible combinations of chips to go with various ROMs.

Not sure I even see the point of a neo

Geo cart becuase the idea is to play stuff on real hardware right ? We can do that on MAME cabs baby... Have one in my living room and it runs the neo geo /capcom stuff flawlessly within a margin of error that is so negligible it doesn't matter ... I have a consolized arcade board and the 100in1 cart is pretty sweet and covers almost all

My favs so really I don't think a neo geo cart is that crucial since anyone can make a name cabinet and even et a neo geo cab and get the 1001in1 for it and use emulation for the rest.

Not sure I even see the point of a neo

Geo cart becuase the idea is to play stuff on real hardware right ? We can do that on MAME cabs baby... Have one in my living room and it runs the neo geo /capcom stuff flawlessly within a margin of error that is so negligible it doesn't matter ... I have a consolized arcade board and the 100in1 cart is pretty sweet and covers almost all

My favs so really I don't think a neo geo cart is that crucial since anyone can make a name cabinet and even et a neo geo cab and get the 1001in1 for it and use emulation for the rest.

Uhmm you do know that's NOT the real hardware right..?

The idea is to play on the ORIGINAL hardware, not just "hardware"... (You do know that MAME is an *emulator*?)

Playing on an emulator pretty much defeats the purpose of what people want flash carts for...

He means mvs instead aes. 100 games and many bootleg versions of the same game hardly covers the mvs and the aes library. Definitely I would buy a aes multicart since mvs games prices are crazy high. An affordable converter mvs to aes would also be great

I think you get my point without having to resort to blatant sarcasm and I DID mention real neo get hardware several times but let's face facts arcade hardware is arcade hardware ... An arcade monitor is an arcade monitor. The stuff inside makes little difference to me if it runs right ... The reason we love using flash carts on co soles is becuase we like the feel. I defy you to find any difference with a neo group cabinet turned into a semi MAME can that emulates he rest of the games not found on the 100in1 carts

It's the SAME

You really don't have to be a smart ass, my point was really obvious and I think you know better than to think that I think emulators are real hardware. I was talking about the playing experience being as real as possible

Sheesh

I think you get my point without having to resort to blatant sarcasm and I DID mention real neo get hardware several times but let's face facts arcade hardware is arcade hardware ... An arcade monitor is an arcade monitor. The stuff inside makes little difference to me if it runs right ... The reason we love using flash carts on co soles is becuase we like the feel. I defy you to find any difference with a neo group cabinet turned into a semi MAME can that emulates he rest of the games not found on the 100in1 carts

It's the SAME

You really don't have to be a smart ass, my point was really obvious and I think you know better than to think that I think emulators are real hardware. I was talking about the playing experience being as real as possible

Sheesh

Sure, of course I can sum it up for you in two words:

Blue screen :P

Edited by walterg74

SO stoked to see this finally come to light. I loaned Flavor my Wonserswan flashcart a while back. The rare one that uses a parallel port to load...

I believe his will use USB and be as easy to use as his awesome Neo Geo Pocket color cart that is an amazingly fun cart and cheap enough you can buy two ?

Please support him and all his hard work and if you have not yet checked out the Neo Geo Pocket cart he sells, do so post haste and def let him know if you're down for a Wonderswan Color cart that will finally allow us to play translations on original hardware!!!

Can't wait!!

BTW: one cool feature that his NGPC cart loader has is that it can use the old NGPC flash carts that BUNG used to sell so if you're like me and have one of those old things you can throw away the parallel port loader and get his USB cart loader and revive you setup!!

Edited by Mark Wolfe
  • Like 1

Sorry if this has already been answered, but will the GBA Everdrive play regular GB games as well? If so this would look amazing in my GBA player.

Presumably not, because GB/C and GBA games have different voltages, pinouts, and different CPU architectures despite sharing a common interface. GB/C games run 5V and a Z80 CPU. GBA games run 3.3V and an ARM CPU. The GBA contains a switch inside it which activates the Game Boy CPU whenever an old style cartridge is inserted.

There is however, a Game Boy emulator for GBA flash carts called Goomba and Goomba Color. The emulator BIOS needs to be combined with a GB/C ROM with a special PC software app that combines them into a playable GBA ROM that can be loaded onto existing flash carts or simply played in a GBA emulator.

It's not unlike Nintendo's official NES/FC series GBA carts which emulated an NES, or how every Virtual Console title is a self contained ROM and emulator.

There was discussion in Krikzz forums that the Goomba emulator could possibly be recompiled and built into the Advanced Everdrive BIOS so that the user can play unmodified GB or GBC ROMs directly off the SD card. The N64 ED has an NES emulator built in as a kind of Easter Egg, so GB emulation in native GBA mode could be technically possible.

Presumably not, because GB/C and GBA games have different voltages, pinouts, and different CPU architectures despite sharing a common interface. GB/C games run 5V and a Z80 CPU. GBA games run 3.3V and an ARM CPU. The GBA contains a switch inside it which activates the Game Boy CPU whenever an old style cartridge is inserted.

There is however, a Game Boy emulator for GBA flash carts called Goomba and Goomba Color. The emulator BIOS needs to be combined with a GB/C ROM with a special PC software app that combines them into a playable GBA ROM that can be loaded onto existing flash carts or simply played in a GBA emulator.

It's not unlike Nintendo's official NES/FC series GBA carts which emulated an NES, or how every Virtual Console title is a self contained ROM and emulator.

There was discussion in Krikzz forums that the Goomba emulator could possibly be recompiled and built into the Advanced Everdrive BIOS so that the user can play unmodified GB or GBC ROMs directly off the SD card. The N64 ED has an NES emulator built in as a kind of Easter Egg, so GB emulation in native GBA mode could be technically possible.

Thanks for the technical explanation. I guess I'll just have to get both for now.

Thanks for the technical explanation. I guess I'll just have to get both for now.

Yeah, look inside the cartridge slot on your GBA or SP and you'll see a tiny square tab. This is the mode select switch. If you push it with a pin or something, you'll notice it presses down. Now compare a GB cart and a GBA cart. The GBA carts have a pair of square groove that run about one centimeter deep along the cartridge edges on either side. The Game Boy carts lack this groove, and will hit the switch when inserted, forcing the GBA to disable the ARM, turn on the Z80, and boot into Game Boy mode. Otherwise if the tab is up, it boots the standard GBA BIOS with or without a GBA cart inserted.

Later models like the GBA Micro and NDS which lacked backwards compatibility with monochrome or color Game Boy, had a hard plastic tab inside the GBA slot instead of a switch, which prevented insertion of non-compatible old school Game Boy carts. I really loved the fact that Nintendo always seems to manage at least one generation of backwards compatibility with their portables and disc based consoles, though they will be starting fresh with a clean slate for NX.

GB: GB, "dual mode" black GBC carts

GBC: GBC, GB

GBA + SP: GBA, GBC, GB

GBA Micro: GBA

DS + Lite: DS, GBA

DSi: DS, DSiware

3DS* + New: 3DS, DSi, DS

Wii* model 1: Wii, GC

Wii* model 2 + Wii Mini: Wii

Wii-U*: Wii-U, Wii

NX: NX, ???

*Emulated VC games not included in backwards compatibility list.

^^ you forgot Super Gameboy mode. Certain games like Space Invader plays almost like a full SNES game on a GB cart. Other games can display more color on screen than what can be displayed on LCD of original GB.

It didn't stay around long and isn't supported outside SGB adapter for SNES.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing the PSIO this weekend, and it works. yay! :D

Did find something odd, which the PSIO devs seem to have confirmed. It seems if you extract archived images directly to the SD card that PSIO may report 'no image found' This drove me nuts for a short while until I extracted the images to an intermediary drive then copied them to the PSIO itself. Bizarre but 100% replicable.

Other than that it's worked great so far.

WkNz5Q.jpg

• Like 1

^^ you forgot Super Gameboy mode. Certain games like Space Invader plays almost like a full SNES game on a GB cart. Other games can display more color on screen than what can be displayed on LCD of original GB.

It didn't stay around long and isn't supported outside SGB adapter for SNES.

I'm aware of Super Game Boy enhancements, although they always felt secondary to the Game Boy / Game Boy Color platforms.

Retro Freak ultimately supports SGB mode for carts that support it, although I have heard the emulation fails spectacularly when attempting to run Space Invaders on it. Also if you enable Super Game Boy emulation, it displays Dual Mode games with both GBC and SGB enhancements as inferior SGB mode. Still kinda neat as these modes are rarely seen. I had never seen the Tetris DX borders before Retro Freak.

Also back to Space Invaders: it is the only "region locked" Game Boy game I know of, based on a minor technicality. I made a quick video of it:

Finally got around to installing the PSIO this weekend, and it works. yay! :D

Did find something odd, which the PSIO devs seem to have confirmed. It seems if you extract archived images directly to the SD card that PSIO may report 'no image found' This drove me nuts for a short while until I extracted the images to an intermediary drive then copied them to the PSIO itself. Bizarre but 100% replicable.

Hey, thanks for the heads up! I was going to install mine in the next few days and you may have just saved me hours of frustration.

Some devices don't fully support proper FAT32 standard and may crash on heavily fragmented files. Large archives are typically decompressed in chunks and all fragments may not be written in sequential order.

Windows won't let you defrag flash drives anymore because it produces unnecessary wear with little performance improvement. For easy workaround, back up your entire SD card to PC. Quick format the SD card. Copy the file contents back to the SD card from the PC. Not only will this eliminate file fragmentation but if you copy whole folders using drag and drop, they will typically transfer in alphabetical order most of the time. Good news, the bigger the files, generally the faster and more efficiently they transfer. A few gigabytes of ISO files will often transfer faster compared to thousands of tiny Atari ROMs. There is also an executable filesort.exe available that will fix the file index so that files appear in alphabetical order in the file menu even if they were copied to SD card out of sequence. The exe will not run directly off the SD card; you'll need to copy it to PC first. It's been a lifesaver for my Harmony cart and NES Powerpak to get ROMs to appear in logical order since these devices do not automatically sort files.

• 1 month later...