IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

We're in agreement. I think it's just fascinating it took one person taking an undercover solitary stab at something like this after years of failure or just quitting on it to come back and throw the gauntlet down on the FX1/2 and now the SA1. It's quite impressive and I'm happy to see if this is the wall or the others perhaps being less complex get done too just for the sake of completeness. The SD2SNES could very well end up being the one device that does it all. Hopefully this could even be reverse applied to the Super NT.

Sadly it appears the SD2SNES has fast parallel RAM which is capable of running at higher bus speeds (~22Mhz necessary for FX2). The Super NT uses cheaper 150Mhz SDRAM, which due to latencies, cannot be "bit-banged" much faster than 7 Mhz. Turbografx running at 7.16 Mhz, twice the SNES clock speed, would be the absolute limit for the SuperNT hardware.

SA-1 and FX1 running at 10.74 Mhz, thrice the speed of the SNES CPU, with the Super FX2 running at 21.48 Mhz, 6x speed. Faster RAMs such as DDR and beyond have the same high latencies for non-sequential byte fetching, being designed primarily to shuttle sequential data at blistering speeds to the high speed non-sequential cpu cache where real work is done.

So it seems the SD2SNES FPGA can handle the fast coprocessors whereas the Super NT FPGA cannot, due to the hugh latency RAM used on the Super NT. This is despite the fact the actual Super NT FPGA is far more powerful than the SD2SNES. A system is only as powerful as it's weakest link, which in this case is the RAM bottleneck. It's been discussed at great detail in Kevtris' FPGA thread why expansion CPU are unsupported in the Super NT jailbreak.

Also that lightning fast parallel RAM on the SD2SNES comes at a premium. The flashcart alone is more expensive than the Super NT, but now with SA-1 and SuperFX support, offers the best of both worlds paired with the Super NT. My N64 v3 Everdrive was quite spendy as well, but is capable of loading Conker's Bad Fur Day (64 Mbytes) to RAM in just 3 seconds! :o

Well that's fascinating and a shame the Analogue crew cut corners on the RAM like that, but it was about keeping the costs down (from the looks of it under $200.)

I don't mind seeing a need to get a SD2SNES, but for me the price is high and I'd have to find a means to justify it. I have no interest in MSU-1 at all as I can listen to the scores on youtube fine or mp3, and won't find joy in having an original game running it as a fluff feature. That leaves the FX and SA1(as it comes) and with the games I currently have (SMRPG and both Kirby's), SA1 stops with Parodius 3 and DBZ Hyper Dimension, and FX I'm covered with Yoshi, both Starfox, and Doom as the rest kind of just suck (though Stunt Race is nice when overclocked to run smooth.) I strongly dislike Mega Man X2 and X3 so that's out, so the Super Everdrive does the job. It's hard to justify $200 on 2 SFC games.

I'd find more use in the same amount of spending on both the N64 (or TG16) Everdrive + the Omega for GBA (which covers internally GB, GBC and NES etc too emulated well.) Hands down had I no everdrive+dsp for snes it might be worth biding time on a second hand one as a deal.

• Like 1

One of the nice things about the DC drive replacements is you can stick with the .GDI format. The 1:1 rips with complete audio quality. There's no need to bother with compressed versions of games anymore that are hold overs from the CD-R burning days.

Yep, that's what I've been using for the most part. The games look and sound great in their full form like they are supposed to.

I couldn't find a dedicated thread about this but if someone does please link me to it!

I have a Sega Game Gear Everdrive that has OS v4 on it. I was looking online and saw that there is an update all the way up to v9 which ads different functions. I am affraid to update it and lose what I have so I want to ask you guys on here. If I download and then update the OS, it says that it will no longer have fat16 and be fat 32 (I don;t understand what that means anyways) but does that mean that all of the games I have loaded onto the system will then be erased, or no longer work, or do I then have to reform those games (I don;t know how to) and then reload them to the unit?

I'd like the update but I don;t want to lose everything that is on there. Hope someone in this 91 page thread has the GG Everdrive and can assist on the OS update!

I couldn't find a dedicated thread about this but if someone does please link me to it!

I have a Sega Game Gear Everdrive that has OS v4 on it. I was looking online and saw that there is an update all the way up to v9 which ads different functions. I am affraid to update it and lose what I have so I want to ask you guys on here. If I download and then update the OS, it says that it will no longer have fat16 and be fat 32 (I don;t understand what that means anyways) but does that mean that all of the games I have loaded onto the system will then be erased, or no longer work, or do I then have to reform those games (I don;t know how to) and then reload them to the unit?

I'd like the update but I don;t want to lose everything that is on there. Hope someone in this 91 page thread has the GG Everdrive and can assist on the OS update!

It's very safe, Krikzz updates are well tested. FAT16 or just FAT is an ancient OS format that is limited to 2GB drives. I would copy the SD card you have to your hard drive, format it in FAT32, then copy the files back.

It's very safe, Krikzz updates are well tested. FAT16 or just FAT is an ancient OS format that is limited to 2GB drives. I would copy the SD card you have to your hard drive, format it in FAT32, then copy the files back.

So download the newest OS and save it on the hard drive, copy all my uploaded games to the hard drive. Format the SD card to FAT 32 and then drag the new OS and games back to the SD? The games themselves don't have to be updated to fat 32?

Stone Age Gamer, in addition to announcing they will be carrying the Cybdyn Systems PSIO sometime in the fall, said they are working on carrying a Dreamcast GD-device. It's not the USB-GDROM or the GDEMU, which leads me to believe it's probably one of the open source (currently) DIY IDE-GD products out there.

• Like 1

Stone Age Gamer, in addition to announcing they will be carrying the Cybdyn Systems PSIO sometime in the fall, said they are working on carrying a Dreamcast GD-device. It's not the USB-GDROM or the GDEMU, which leads me to believe it's probably one of the open source (currently) DIY IDE-GD products out there.

The PSIO is awesome, and I can see a big price spike for working compatible models. Best thing about it is that you can still use discs with it.

Cybdyn also has a DC-IO in the works, and has for a while, so that might be what Stoneage plans to carry.

The PSIO is awesome, and I can see a big price spike for working compatible models. Best thing about it is that you can still use discs with it.

Cybdyn also has a DC-IO in the works, and has for a while, so that might be what Stoneage plans to carry.

I doubt it, because they've ceased development on DCIO as they catch up with PSIO orders. They've also mentioned perhaps Saturn, so who knows. I just have a feelilng it's a product that lets you install a HDD like so. These have been around for awhile, although many require Dreamshell as the OS, and that is a piece of garbage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the Stone Age podcast, the owner mentioned the PSIO. Hopes to get a shipment in the fall. They are planning to pre-mod a number of systems as well as offer to mod your PS1 board.

They also chatted about the Super CD System 3, and all the manufacturing issues they had. They expect they'll get more soon, and quickly sell out. They are available on Terra Onion, although quite pricey.

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/pc-engine/12-super_sd_system_3-pc_engine.html

There's also the NEOSD PRO on the horizon, that has more "flash" slots for loading games up. $$$

They still last I read haven't actually fixed the 2nd version of that Super CD System 3 device so if you're an RGB user you'll have that to look forward to unless you can solder and fix it, and then I think I read also the SD card slot causes another issue. I'm surprised how many people pay as much as it goes for when it's a problem, but I guess QA isn't that big of a deal when the alternative is buying expensive games or burning them individually.

They still last I read haven't actually fixed the 2nd version of that Super CD System 3 device so if you're an RGB user you'll have that to look forward to unless you can solder and fix it, and then I think I read also the SD card slot causes another issue. I'm surprised how many people pay as much as it goes for when it's a problem, but I guess QA isn't that big of a deal when the alternative is buying expensive games or burning them individually.

SD access can add a tiny amount of buzz. Impossible to hear unless you're just wandering the menu or it's otherwise entirely silent.

The reversed capacitor issue has been fixed as far back as June. The one I bought had it corrected, and there are people on Terraonion's forums saying the same thing.

The worst issue is a little jailer noise in the image. If you're RGB connected to a CRT, MLiG says it's impossible to see. I could see it a tiny bit on my LCD when I still had the device. It didn't bother me, but I can see that it would bother some people.

For what the SSDS3 does, and if PC Engine is your favorite system, it's worth the cost despite the slight drawbacks. It's not my favorite system so I sold the setup.

• Like 1

Not my favorite either. I got a Core Grafx2 thinking I'd enjoy it far more and it has sat for months. I'm between just storing and turning it back to the wild. The other option would be an everdrive and see if it helps. I miss my old Duo but trying to get the discs I want has been a pain to find and in an useful format so when I saw the SSS3 problems I just stopped bothering.

I got a SD2SNES in the mail today and my that thing is a piece of work. Now I just have to find someone to ship my Super ED+DSP out to. Between earlier in the week the 15% off ebay coupon and a best offer down at $180 I scored it for a really nice price. :D

Edited by Tanooki

SD access can add a tiny amount of buzz. Impossible to hear unless you're just wandering the menu or it's otherwise entirely silent.

The reversed capacitor issue has been fixed as far back as June. The one I bought had it corrected, and there are people on Terraonion's forums saying the same thing.

The worst issue is a little jailer noise in the image. If you're RGB connected to a CRT, MLiG says it's impossible to see. I could see it a tiny bit on my LCD when I still had the device. It didn't bother me, but I can see that it would bother some people.

For what the SSDS3 does, and if PC Engine is your favorite system, it's worth the cost despite the slight drawbacks. It's not my favorite system so I sold the setup.

Would almost certainly just be on CRT, though I have RGB options for HDTV as well. I normally don't get ticked by lag or the like, but discoloring I hate probably much more than any noise. As long as the colors are vivid, I don't notice. Plus my upscaler tends to soothe noise out.

Not my favorite either. I got a Core Grafx2 thinking I'd enjoy it far more and it has sat for months. I'm between just storing and turning it back to the wild. The other option would be an everdrive and see if it helps. I miss my old Duo but trying to get the discs I want has been a pain to find and in an useful format so when I saw the SSS3 problems I just stopped bothering.

I got a SD2SNES in the mail today and my that thing is a piece of work. Now I just have to find someone to ship my Super ED+DSP out to. Between earlier in the week the 15% off ebay coupon and a best offer down at $180 I scored it for a really nice price. :D

Hmmm, ebay huh, hope it wasn't a Chinese clone.

I have the Turbo Everdrive and an RGB modded system, so I play all the HuCards, but the CD library obviously eludes, and I have zero interest in spending $$$ on a Duo and games. I happen to greatly enjoy PCE/TG games, so it's worth it, to an extent, although emulation on my orig Xbox for them is pretty good even for the CD stuff. That said, I would assume the Super System 3 would be pretty close to perfect in terms of AV, and using the original hardware controller, which I normally prefer. Let me say, if someone made a SEGA CD attachment like this, I'd buy that even faster.

I suppose one drawback to the Super System 3 is that you're limited (currently) to 256GB microSD. Don't think the full CD set will fit on that.

Edited by Greg2600

Would almost certainly just be on CRT, though I have RGB options for HDTV as well. I normally don't get ticked by lag or the like, but discoloring I hate probably much more than any noise. As long as the colors are vivid, I don't notice. Plus my upscaler tends to soothe noise out.

I'm sure you'd never even notice the video noise on composite video. Even with an OSSC and some light scanline effects I didn't see anything unless I paused the game and stared at the screen for a while. Big huge solid areas of one color are where it was even possible to detect, and so many TG16 games have colorful backgrounds.

• Like 1

I'm sure you'd never even notice the video noise on composite video. Even with an OSSC and some light scanline effects I didn't see anything unless I paused the game and stared at the screen for a while. Big huge solid areas of one color are where it was even possible to detect, and so many TG16 games have colorful backgrounds.

Yes, I'll see when Stone Age gets another batch in, as I have store credit with them anyway.

Hmmm, ebay huh, hope it wasn't a Chinese clone.

I have the Turbo Everdrive and an RGB modded system, so I play all the HuCards, but the CD library obviously eludes, and I have zero interest in spending $$$ on a Duo and games. I happen to greatly enjoy PCE/TG games, so it's worth it, to an extent, although emulation on my orig Xbox for them is pretty good even for the CD stuff. That said, I would assume the Super System 3 would be pretty close to perfect in terms of AV, and using the original hardware controller, which I normally prefer. Let me say, if someone made a SEGA CD attachment like this, I'd buy that even faster.

I suppose one drawback to the Super System 3 is that you're limited (currently) to 256GB microSD. Don't think the full CD set will fit on that.

It's not. You could see some of it through the pictures I had since the shell was see through, and also having it in hand helps as well. And no you're right for what the SSS3 attempts to do, if you don't care about the few little hang ups or can fix it, it's fine, and it saves a ton of money on the inanely insanely priced turbo/pce cd games and the system/addon choices themselves too which are prone to failure and needing maintenance after so many years. And the 256GB cap, if you wanted a large-full library of CD/SCD/ACD games would not fit.