IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I am surprised that no one mentioned the FDSStick, which is an easy to use disk drive emulator for the Famicom Disk System. You can obtain it here.

http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/

I did a write up about it here : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-fdsstick-compact-solution-to-your.html

Does that mean that, if I bought a Famicom, I'd only need the RAM adapter (not the drive itself) and the FDSStick to get full FDS functionality? If so, awesome, and maybe a good reason for me to finally snag a Famicom.

• Like 1

So what games fail with the PowerPak? I don't think I've run into any.

I made a list here :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-nes-and-powerpak-oldie-but-goodie.html

Does that mean that, if I bought a Famicom, I'd only need the RAM adapter (not the drive itself) and the FDSStick to get full FDS functionality? If so, awesome, and maybe a good reason for me to finally snag a Famicom.

Yup, and you get accurate sound too, unlike the PowerPak and EverDrive.

How is the EverDrive N8's support for N106/N163, VRC6, and VRC7 audio? I've read conflicting reports -- one thread seemed to indicate that VRC7 was fully implemented, another that the games in question (Lagrange Point & TTA Famicom) would work but had no expansion sound present.

Also, MMC5 is still unsupported, right? It seems like there's been a lot of development in the last few months on these mappers, both the audio and the playability of the games themselves.

BTW thanks for all the helpful info at Nerdy Nerdly Pleasures!

How is the EverDrive N8's support for N106/N163, VRC6, and VRC7 audio? I've read conflicting reports -- one thread seemed to indicate that VRC7 was fully implemented, another that the games in question (Lagrange Point & TTA Famicom) would work but had no expansion sound present.

Also, MMC5 is still unsupported, right? It seems like there's been a lot of development in the last few months on these mappers, both the audio and the playability of the games themselves.

BTW thanks for all the helpful info at Nerdy Pleasures!

Here is the EverDrive N8 development in a nutshell for the past few months :

v13 OS allows for compatibility with the HiDef NES mod.

Support has been added to the official mappers that makes the two VRC VII games (Lagrange Point, Tiny Toons Adventures 2 J) playable, but no expansion audio has been implemented

A third party mapper has been developed to improve the expansion audio quality of the VRC VI games (Akumajou Densetsu, Madara, Esper Dream 2)

A third party mapper has been developed to emulate Sunsoft 5B expansion audio (Gimmick! J)

The only MMC5 game that will play without glitches is Castlevania 3, almost all the rest are too glitchy to play. MMC5 expansion audio is not emulated.

N106/163 expansion audio is tolerable, but expansion audio is not really Krikzz's strong point. FDS expansion audio is also tolerable most of the time.

You can get VRC VII audio to work with Lagrange Point as run by an EverDrive if you use the HiDef NES mod, which independently emulates all the expansion audio chips I mentioned.

• Like 1

I am surprised that no one mentioned the FDSStick, which is an easy to use disk drive emulator for the Famicom Disk System. You can obtain it here.

http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/

I did a write up about it here : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-fdsstick-compact-solution-to-your.html

Apparently, on the Sharp Twin Famicom, the drive is connected TO the RAM adapter here :

cablelinkingexpansionpo.th.jpg

This mean that the Sharp Twin can allow acess to the drive or the RAM adapter... making it compatible with that stick.

Sadly, it use non Famicom standardconnectors so this mean special cables and fiddling aroudn to find the correct wiring.

Hmmm that is funny when I posted it, it was showing 12 hours and some minutes to go. Maybe it was set wrong and the site owner changed it while I slept? Anyway if you plan to develop PS games, this is probably a very worthwhile investiment. Faster than compiling to ISO format and burning to CD-R. Not to mention less waste since you won't need to toss out one version of CD-R for a fixed revised version a few minutes later.

For running games and not for developing, it comes down to: if you'd rather stick with mod chip and CD-R or if you want to get this now and not have to worry about finding PS console with working laser and motor 25 years from now.

FYI RETROGATE, a site I have ordered a few EVERDRIVES from in the past was apparently down for a bit, they have emerged with a new site and a SALE to go along with it, might be a good time to consider some items if you been holding back. I am past satisfied customer having gotten Everdrives for N64 / Snes / TG-16 / NES

BLACK FRIDAY SALE!!! 20% OFF*

From Friday 00:00 AM 11/27 till Sunday 00:00 AM GMT+2

* 20% on the regular selling price

https://shop.retrogate.com/

I'm really confused about the RetroGate announcement.

It was my understanding the Krikzz ran Retrogate. He was the one who responded to e-mails about my past orders, which is why I thought this. When Retrogate shut down, Krikzz opened the Everdrive Store on the front page of his site. Now Retrogate is back, Krikzz still has his store and Retrogate seems to be separate.

Anyone know the story here?

I'm really confused about the RetroGate announcement.

It was my understanding the Krikzz ran Retrogate. He was the one who responded to e-mails about my past orders, which is why I thought this. When Retrogate shut down, Krikzz opened the Everdrive Store on the front page of his site. Now Retrogate is back, Krikzz still has his store and Retrogate seems to be separate.

Anyone know the story here?

I have always known retrogate as a Krikkzz approved distrubutor, Krikzz store was already there before but perhaps he put it up front while Retrogate was down or redoing the website? Either way it is back, just another official source for Everdrives. All I know is I have ordered and received several Everdrives from Retrogate, Krikkz store front looks like the old Retrogate, they must be connected.

UPDATE - A MODERATORS ANSWER ON KRIKKZ FORUMS ( SOURCE http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3137.msg30446#msg30446 )

Buying from retrogate is pretty much getting it direct from KRIKzz. That shop was set up for US (and probably worldwide) for purchases through PayPal (what most people were requesting, since overseas ordering usually involved Western Union, which most people were not keen on using). One of the few US-based online shops that were selling (at least) the Everdrive MD was Kitsch-bent (I think even before SAG sold them).

Apparently Retrogate just switched domains and gave the site a facelift.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Hmmm that is funny when I posted it, it was showing 12 hours and some minutes to go. Maybe it was set wrong and the site owner changed it while I slept?

They waited for you to post about it and then changed it, just to be mean ;)

I guess this means I finally need to get myself an original PlayStation. I have a modded PSOne, but it won't work on that. Might need to wait until after the holidays to get the console, as there's too much other stuff to buy over the next month.

The PSIO ordering is live now, I just completed an order :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Wish he wasn't using DHL, as it means I'm going to get hit with taxes and brokerage when it arrives. Oh well.

Edit:

So PayPal messed up my transaction and charged it to a card removed from my profile ages ago. The charge will still go through, but it causes me a bunch of headaches. I emailed the PS-IO team to see if they can cancel my order so I can place another one. What a pain!

Edited by goldenegg

Same. Ordered one, and I hope DHL works fine. The few times I used private postal services I had issue with them.

And yeah I suppsoe that whoever made the site used a code that would take account of the computer's clock time and removed the time, rather than hardcoded counter.

I checked it 2 hours ago and for me there was 12 hours left...

What a PITA!!! As I mentioned above, PayPal messed up my transaction for the PS-IO. I got the seller to refund the order, then I called PayPal back to ensure I wouldn't have the same problem when placing a new order. Now my PayPal account is locked because the customer service rep apparently did something he wasn't supposed to do and it triggered the lock. Now I need to wait until tomorrow to speak with someone at a higher level who can release the lock.

Hopefully there will still be pre-orders left at that point.

Hmmm that is funny when I posted it, it was showing 12 hours and some minutes to go. Maybe it was set wrong and the site owner changed it while I slept? Anyway if you plan to develop PS games, this is probably a very worthwhile investiment. Faster than compiling to ISO format and burning to CD-R. Not to mention less waste since you won't need to toss out one version of CD-R for a fixed revised version a few minutes later.

For running games and not for developing, it comes down to: if you'd rather stick with mod chip and CD-R or if you want to get this now and not have to worry about finding PS console with working laser and motor 25 years from now.

Isn't that what rewritables are for?

I mean, even with a modchip, I think that they can't read CD-RW because CD-RW, in order to be ReWritable, have a different, less reflective layer.

It's not that earlier Cd-ROM players are software locked to reject CD-RW, they are just physically unable to do so.

And PSIO are sold out. According to the site, the next batch will be for sale during the 1st part of 2016

Edited by CatPix

Yeah complete oversight on my part. Sorry bout that. Most 90s era PC CDROM drives can't even read them. There was a big push in "multiread" CD and DVD players for a while that could read burned rewritable discs.

No problems :) Technology move fast and we can't remember all the little details about everything.

PSIO pre-order page clock was off again this morning. Last night it seemed the pre-orders would be up 8am (central time) today.

When I looked at the home page earlier this morning it seemed another 24 hours was added to the clock.

Now when I checked the page I see pre-orders are gone again.