IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

PSIO pre-order page clock was off again this morning. Last night it seemed the pre-orders would be up 8am (central time) today.
When I looked at the home page earlier this morning it seemed another 24 hours was added to the clock.
Now when I checked the page I see pre-orders are gone again.

Seems like people were able to pre-order by refreshing the page literally at random times. Not a good system at all. I'm in no hurry but they better resolve this for when it goes "retail."

PS: The key is whether the 1000/5000/7500 PS1 motherboards will fit in the USPS Priority International Large Video Box (Flat Rate)? If not, the cost to ship yours to Oz (if you can't solder the switch board yourself) would be quite a bit. That box is $25 as it is. Fits 9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2" inside.

• Like 1

Seems like people were able to pre-order by refreshing the page literally at random times. Not a good system at all. I'm in no hurry but they better resolve this for when it goes "retail."

PS: The key is whether the 1000/5000/7500 PS1 motherboards will fit in the USPS Priority International Large Video Box (Flat Rate)? If not, the cost to ship yours to Oz (if you can't solder the switch board yourself) would be quite a bit. That box is $25 as it is. Fits 9-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 2" inside.

Whil the soldering require some experience, it's not rocket science either. You can ship or brign your board to anyone that was able at the good old PS1 modchip era to mod them, he'll be able to do it either.

The tricky parts I see in this is soldering to the parallel port, and cutting traces on the places there are multiples. Require some good tools.

another one to add maybe? "black fin" an sd based flashcard for all models (and firmwares) of ps vita (launching around mythmass) preorders will open soon.

It's worth noting, but it's not really a flashcart, so I wouldn't include it, at least in the state it's going to be released in.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

It's worth noting, but it's not really a flashcart, so I wouldn't include it, at least in the state it's going to be released in.

i sort of agree although other than the authentication side it's basic setup is akin to any of the ds flashcards, put file on micro sd, plug micro sd into black fin vita game card and boot it (once set up to authenticate).

Edited by billysastard

i sort of agree although other than the authentication side it's basic setup is akin to any of the ds flashcards, put file on micro sd, plug micro sd into black fin vita game card and boot it (once set up to authenticate).

Aren't flashcards for currently marketed systems a nono due to piracy concerns?

A few new/recent items for the odyssey2/Videopac

C7051 Game Recorder (released)

The new Videopac C7051 Game Recorder cartridge is a flash cart for Videopac and Odyssey2: a multicart with a flash memory chip inside. This means that you can decide yourself which games you put on it, which versions, in what order and which names you give them in the on-screen menu. It also means that you can add new games to it when they become available, or use this cart to test new games that you are writing yourself. All functions of the cart are selected with on-screen menus, it doesn't have any switches. It works on all Videopac, Odyssey2 and Jopac consoles, and it can be used with the Voice module too.

When you receive a new C7051 cart it doesn't contain any games, only the control program. To put games on the C7051 cart you'll need to connect it to a computer. A cable to do that is included. Also included are a .zip file with 273 games and a program for your computer to transfer games to the C7051. The memory chip of the C7051 has a capacity of 63 games.

Forum thread is http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2492.0

C7030 Ramcart (to be released soon)

A new run of the Ramcart is currently being worked on for members of the Videopac/Odyssey2 Community that missed out before.

Forum thread is http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2495.0

Also the selling and making of the 233 in 1 multicart is now being done by Packrat Video Games

Website link is http://www.packratvg.com/o2multi.html

• 2 weeks later...

Looking over the list, it appears there are still a few systems that do not have any kind of flashable option.

3DS is obvious, Nintendo will keep pushing firmware update that would prevent flash cart from working and some online games would refuse to work with older firmware to prevent cheating cheapskate from using old system and flash cart to play newest ROM.

Adventurevision and Microvision both seems absent from the list. Microvision would probably be the hardest because the ROM isn't dumpable as they are embedded inside the CPU. One would have to delid the CPU and under powerful microscope read the EPROM section of the CPU to find the original game code, and hand-assemble file on the computer. At 1k for early CPU, that is over 8,000 bits to read and re-assemble.

I don't know how Adventurevision works but I'd guess it's so rare that the cost of making and selling flashable cart isn't justifiable.

What about original Odyssey and Coleco Tristar system? Those used resistor carts to select specific game mode, it should be easy to make xx-in-1 cart with switch to select the game mode.

Edited by 7800fan

Doesn't the Tristar have some embedded programming of sort in their carts?

The Odyssey doesn't even have resistors, it's all rewiring. The Wonder Wizard console replaced the cards with slider buttons, and I think some Odyssey clones (the Overkal maybe?) used rotating selectors as well.

There are also no flashcart for the Channel F, for the Astrocade (but those have multicarts) for the Radofin APVS/Interton VC 4000 either. Thanks to JFMateos, we have flash cards for the Supervision and Gamate, but the latest is a "private" run.

There isn't multicarts for the "Pong console" but those would require quite some different tech to work, as the carts all contain a Pong chip. That would be like the Microvision, butt in a more crude version, as those Pong chips are all analog.

Yep, searched a bit, and found this :

"Thanks to several articles forwarded to me by Lee Rayner, the architecture of the TV Game systems [by Telstar] is finally revealed. The actual core is the MOS Technologies "MPS" 7600 (or 7601), yet another iteration of the ubiquitous 'Pong-on-a-chip' primitive game CPUs that emerged in the late 1970s in competition with General Instruments, National Semiconductors and even Commodore's old arch enemy Texas Instruments; the 7600/1 was the last of MOS's Pong-chip line, which started with the 5601. However, innovation was what set the 7600 and 7601 apart: unlike most other Pong devices that had the game hard-coded into the system's logic, the 7600/1s were actually true if crude microprocessors that read game instructions from a special 512-word (mask?) ROM which appears to be internal to the chip."

So the Telstar Arcade is a step between the Pong machines, all-analog machines like the Interton Video 2000 and Philips Telespiel, and true programmable system that started with the VES.

I guess from the description that the Telstar Arcade is kind of a home Microvision, or the Microvision is a portable Telstar Arcade.

It make sense, in that regard.

A dedicaced CPU with embedded ROM is to be more power efficient than an all purpose CPU, and less costly to design that a CPU that would control all of the console hardware THEN wait for a ROM.

BTW the Microvision is the only console that used 4 bits CPU (some games used the Texas Instrument TMS1100 chip, then used in pocket calculators).

Edited by CatPix

Looking over the list, it appears there are still a few systems that do not have any kind of flashable option.

3DS is obvious, Nintendo will keep pushing firmware update that would prevent flash cart from working and some online games would refuse to work with older firmware to prevent cheating cheapskate from using old system and flash cart to play newest ROM.

Adventurevision and Microvision both seems absent from the list. Microvision would probably be the hardest because the ROM isn't dumpable as they are embedded inside the CPU. One would have to delid the CPU and under powerful microscope read the EPROM section of the CPU to find the original game code, and hand-assemble file on the computer. At 1k for early CPU, that is over 8,000 bits to read and re-assemble.

I don't know how Adventurevision works but I'd guess it's so rare that the cost of making and selling flashable cart isn't justifiable.

What about original Odyssey and Coleco Tristar system? Those used resistor carts to select specific game mode, it should be easy to make xx-in-1 cart with switch to select the game mode.

3ds has several (sky+, ds2+, gateway).

as for what's missing as catpix said the ves never got a flashcart, several other systems have no available cart (either no longer made or never had or still waiting) i can think of, pokémon mini, jaguar, intellivision, 7800, v.smile, neo aes, ti 99/4a (has multicarts but only if you have a near impossible to get memory expansion), megaduck / cougar boy, gameking that i can think of off the top of my head.

I think JFMateos and others might be investigating to make a GameKing flash cart. They are actually trying to dumb the BIOS and doing the basics to make one, that's for sure.

I'll try to talk them about the Megaduck; I have one with a dead line screen, so I could ship it to him if needed.

'llo here :)

Funny, I just got a N-Gage recently. I could buy some NOS games years ago, but got the system reaAally later.

How could you run games form SD ? I've checked for a while on misc. forums, but they talked about running N-Gage games on other Nokia systems.

I may misunderstood.

i can remember of a SEGA Pico flashcard. The fake was pretty funny :)

Microvision would probably be the hardest because the ROM isn't dumpable as they are embedded inside the CPU.

I was thinking about a Microvision Flash cart form.

Much like the Vectrex, the Microvision have overlays over the screen (which make sense, as both machines have the same creator).

So I though, for such a small size, it might be possible to make the multicart/flashcart coming with a LCD screen that could display the overlay.

And so.... If there is a LCD, then why not even displaying the whole game on it as well? This would allow screen-rotten Microvision to live again, and would make game more playable overall as there wouldn't be so much screen lag.

This is just a silly idea tho :P

Edited by CatPix

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't the Tristar have some embedded programming of sort in their carts?

The Odyssey doesn't even have resistors, it's all rewiring. The Wonder Wizard console replaced the cards with slider buttons, and I think some Odyssey clones (the Overkal maybe?) used rotating selectors as well.

There are also no flashcart for the Channel F, for the Astrocade (but those have multicarts) for the Radofin APVS/Interton VC 4000 either. Thanks to JFMateos, we have flash cards for the Supervision and Gamate, but the latest is a "private" run.

There isn't multicarts for the "Pong console" but those would require quite some different tech to work, as the carts all contain a Pong chip. That would be like the Microvision, butt in a more crude version, as those Pong chips are all analog.

There is however a multicart for the Channel F which contains everything that is know, including everything that was originally released and some homebrew. As a result there is really no need for a flash cart, and efforts would be better spent on making a flash cart or multicart for a system which does not have anything yet of which there are a lot of systems.

In terms of Consoles: Sega AI (Japan) - (Until 2004 the actual existence of this console was not known!), Super Cassette Vision (France\Japan), Funtech Super A'Can (Taiwan), Casio Loopy (Japan), Tomy Pyuuta (USA\Japan), Casio PV-1000 (Japan), Casio PV-2000 (Japan), Sord CGL M5 (Japan Mostly) are just a few which come to mind. I am sure there are also many, many more.

There may have been a M5 cart or two released, but none which entered large production and none were ever easily available.

Also there has been an AES multicart released, and solutions to use adaptors and MVS multicarts.

There is also the Harmony 2 which has now been 5 and a half years in the making (will it make a 2016 release? Sadly not holding my hopes up for this one anytime soon, but would welcome it if it finally is), and two intellivision carts, where one was supposed to be released shortly after Classic Gaming Expo in 2014 and over a year and a 3 months later still has not been released.

Then again the Amstrad C4CPC was released quickly and out of nowhere as a big surprise to many, so you never know what to expect. I prefer this to having something announced and then it not being released for months or years, just announcing it after it has been released and is available.

Perhaps a Atari Jaguar cart will suddenly appear out of nowhere, which in reality is probably the next commercial popular cart console system which has not had a multicart\flash cart released, and would probably sell a fair number.