IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

ERDbj0s.jpg

https://twitter.com/krikzz

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3446.0

No more icky hard to use flash cart requiring obsolete mini-SD and painful ROM management!!! No light sensor so no Boktai type game. No other idea yet what will work and what won't work due to missing special parts. May need to use hacked ROMs to bypass special needs.

Holy effing cow; it's here!!! :o

Day one purchase for me...

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Heh, I have to apologize, I though about micro SD. I never saw a Mini-SD!

Yeah I guess it's not so obsolete tho, just... was never adopted widely.

Have yet to see one reach 4GB+, I don't think anyone ever made SDHC version of mini SD. It's often cheaper to buy microSD and get mini to micro adapter.

Yeah. When someone say obsolete usually means that it was once widespread and famous, but now it's outdated and superseded by other technologies in msot cases. SmartMedia cards were once commonly used, but they are obsolete. CompactFlash is upgraded because they still see some professionnal uses, but for the most part, any consumer product using CompactFlash is obsolete.

Mini-SD failed to catch on... It's not even obsolete, it was never used in the first place :D

• Like 1

Yeah. When someone say obsolete usually means that it was once widespread and famous, but now it's outdated and superseded by other technologies in msot cases. SmartMedia cards were once commonly used, but they are obsolete. CompactFlash is upgraded because they still see some professionnal uses, but for the most part, any consumer product using CompactFlash is obsolete.

Mini-SD failed to catch on... It's not even obsolete, it was never used in the first place :D

One could argue that Betamax, Laserdisc, or HDDVD are obsolete, but in reality they were never really relevant. Same with SA-CDs unfortunately.

Stuff like the 3.5 or 5.25 floppy disk, cassette and 8-track, or dare I say it, video game cartridges (for any non-handheld system) are now obsolete!!! :o

Amateur studios or local TV channels working with Betamax. Also, Sony upgraded BetaMax much better than the VHS was, with Extended Definition BetaMax tapes being able to record a picture with Laserdisc definition (about 500 lines) (VHS on the other hand is 250 lines, and S-VHS about 400 lines). (US television definition is 525 lines, and European one 625 lines). Also, the chroma (color) carrier on Betamax is larger than on VHS and S-VHS, which greatly reduce the grany look of a picture recorded on it.

It made Betamax still suitable for amateur use or small TV channels reports.

As for oversized tapes, you might have seen Sony U-Matic tapes. They were high end record tapes used in television, that replaced the various Ampex tapes in reel-to-reel format.

AssortedENGTapeFormats.jpg

U-Matic dating from the early 70's, it is not very advanced by today's standards, but it was more reliable and offered still bettter quality than VHs or Betamax, it's why it was used so long by TV studios.

And Sony probably upgraded the format at some point to add more definition, but I can't find much infos about it.

If you wonder, what's the point of using Betamax rather than VHS, and U-matic rather than Betamax, well it's the reliability.

VHS tapes move "slowly" so you can record more on them, which mean that if the tape stretches a bit, your recording will be suffering from effects like "wow" which deform sounds and alter picture quality. Also the chemicals used in BetaMax and U-matic are of better quality. U-matic tapes are much larger and move faster, which mean that you can record a decent lot of information, and the fast speed mean that the magnetic data is spread along more tape lenght, reducing the effect of tape stretching.

Edited by CatPix

Hey there everyone :)

Lately I've been interested in finding emulators for other systems that I can run on my DS Lite, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to recommend the best flash cart option for a DS Lite and some reliable emulators for other systems that I could run on it? The systems I'm most interested in emulating on my DS Lite are (if possible) Game Boy, Game Boy Color, NES, and Sega Genesis.

I know that for a long time R4 cards were pretty popular but these days it seems like there's so many clones and knockoffs using the name "R4" floating around that I really don't know what the best option to go with is going to be. This will be my first foray into flashcarts so I'd really appreciate some guidance if anyone can offer it.

the best flashcarts for the ds / lite were the cyclo ds evolution, the supercard ds one and the acekard 2 even better if you combined them with an ez-flash 5 3 in 1 card for the gba slot, anything with an r4 name on it was generally quite poor and the market got flooded with cheap crap fakes very quickly.

ERDbj0s.jpg

https://twitter.com/krikzz

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3446.0

No more icky hard to use flash cart requiring obsolete mini-SD and painful ROM management!!! No light sensor so no Boktai type game. No other idea yet what will work and what won't work due to missing special parts. May need to use hacked ROMs to bypass special needs.

People are such dumb, whiny babies. A bunch of guys complaining on Krikzz.com thread that the Everdrive GBA will be slightly larger than a standard GBA cart due to the high quality components he uses. They don't want their cart to stick out apparently... :roll:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3446

Amateur studios or local TV channels working with Betamax. Also, Sony upgraded BetaMax much better than the VHS was, with Extended Definition BetaMax tapes being able to record a picture with Laserdisc definition (about 500 lines) (VHS on the other hand is 250 lines, and S-VHS about 400 lines). (US television definition is 525 lines, and European one 625 lines). Also, the chroma (color) carrier on Betamax is larger than on VHS and S-VHS, which greatly reduce the grany look of a picture recorded on it.

As for oversized tapes, you might have seen Sony U-Matic tapes. They were high end record tapes used in television, that replaced the various Ampex tapes in reel-to-reel format.

AssortedENGTapeFormats.jpg

U-Matic dating from the early 70's, it is not very advanced by today's standards, but it was more reliable and offered still bettter quality than VHs or Betamax, it's why it was used so long by TV studios.

And Sony probably upgraded the format at some point to add more definition, but I can't find much infos about it.

If you wonder, what's the point of using Betamax rather than VHS, and U-matic rather than Betamax, well it's the reliability.

VHS tapes move "slowly" so you can record more on them, which mean that if the tape stretches a bit, your recording will be suffering from effects like "wow" which deform sounds and alter picture quality. Also the chemicals used in BetaMax and U-matic are of better quality. U-matic tapes are much larger and move faster, which mean that you can record a decent lot of information, and the fast speed mean that the magnetic data is spread along more tape lenght, reducing the effect of tape stretching.

I also distinctly remember some sort of micro VHS tape format commonly used in older camcorders. The micro tape would fit into an adapter that lets you play it on a VCR.

It is known as VHS-C. Anyway, we're slowly getting off-topic here, unless someone makes a "multitape" for a retro system. Action Max, anyone? :) Of course you can store lots of e.g. C64 turbo tape programs on a C90 but it doesn't really qualify as a "multicart", in particular as it is sequential access.

I have something called a Video Cartridge Recorder but I've never been able to find any tapes to try it out.

It's pretty huge and weighs a ton. This one isn't mine but it looks just like it.

ZZ6pY89.jpg

Edited by Banquo
  • Like 2

People are such dumb, whiny babies. A bunch of guys complaining on Krikzz.com thread that the Everdrive GBA will be slightly larger than a standard GBA cart due to the high quality components he uses. They don't want their cart to stick out apparently... :roll:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3446

It's not too surprising. Back in the day I upgraded my GBA flashcart from an M3 to an M3 mini-sd so it would fit flush in my micros. So 1/4" was worth $100 to me.

What I'm surprised at is anybody caring about the krikzz gba cart. Does it do something that the others don't? I guess I wish mine took 4gb+ cards, but I hear there's a new ezf card for that. Both the m3 and ezf are cards that don't have the size issue, and have an awful lot of secondary features.

I am seeing an awful lot of ignorance in that linked thread, though.

Edited by Reaperman

I hope the GBA EverDrive will do what the EverDrive GB did for Game Boy. With that one cartridge, all other Game Boy flash cartridges became almost totally obsolete for playing games.

I have no personal experience with GBA flash carts, but I know some of the issues with them. Proprietary cards, software interfaces that do not work without signed drivers, limited space to store games, frequent reflashing, slow flash required for large games etc. While GBA does have several save types (SRAM, Flash, EEPROM), which games use which type is generally known.

That's def been asked and answered. No, it only plays GBA games you need the GB ever drive for GB/GBC

And both look awesome on the GameCube GBA player for sure.

For the record the M3 Lite played GBA games without patching from a micro SD card and it works great . They don't make it anymore as far as I know. The "lite" stood for the case being smaller so it fit in a GBA micro without sticking out . The only drawback was that it can only handle 4gb cards or is it 2gb? So to have the whole GBA library and especially if you wanted emulators for NES and GB games you would need multiple micro sd cards. For those who said you had to patch the game that we only for running NDS games and I would imagine the GBA everdrive would be able to handle that as well but that was a huge pain in the ass and there are NDS cards galore now

I was surprised that the GBA ever drive was not in a smaller case because as I said the M3 did it easily and that was a high quality flash cart for sure. It could have been done.

He also could have made one that handled both GBA and GBC just like the older flash cards with the parallel port interfaces did where they burned one or two at a time or a few small games at a time with a menu app. He would not have had to reinvent the wheel. Nor would it have needed a "GB bridge" I have all of the above mentioned flash carts so I can prove it if need be and I even wrote KRIKKZ a letter about that and pointed to the specific carts in question , a long time ago well before he even made the ED64 but this topic has been beaten to death so let's not go back over it again ...

He made these two new carts, they are both high quality carts and they do why they do amazingly well. Let's enjoy them

Maybe he will make a revision, who knows he's made three dif ED64 carts and I'm still scratching my head over that. I believe I have v2 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell w the games I play.

I think the thread discussions here over what features a cart should have or whatever are sort of wasted breath . There are forums that He will read and that he put up for such discussions to take place so if you feel strongly about features then bring it to his doorstep and let's stop arguing with each other over case size of the GBA ED et al