IGNORED

When did you get your first DVD player?

Rhindle The Red

When did you get your first DVD player?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. When did you get your first DVD player?

• I still haven't taken the plunge.
    • I have no friggin idea!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...

I'm not absolutely positive but I'm guessing it was 1998. This is based on the fact that my first DVD was the Jodie Foster movie "Contact" and looking at it, I see it has a copyright date of 1997...so I figure I must've gotten it in 1998 at the latest. That makes this my DVD Silver Anniversary! :party: Interestingly, I finally threw that first player out just a few months ago as it was having a hard time playing certain DVD-R discs so I decided it was finally time to get a new one. And I couldn't believe how much smaller the new unit was!

Back in October, 1997 I stopped into a video store where I used to work. The owner showed me his new toy - the DVD player. I had sort of heard of it, but had never seen one. Needless to say, I was highly impressed. The quality was great. And the concept of fast-forwarding in seconds was so cool.

A few days (and $600.00) later, I had one. There were very few movies available at that time. I can remember going to Best Buy every week, and being frustrated at not being able to find anything new to get. If memory serves, Warner Brothers was the only major film company releasing DVDs at that time.

Edited by IHATETHEBEARS

If memory serves, Warner Brothers was the only major film company releasing DVDs at that time.

Yep, Warner was the 1st major studio to support the format. Paramount initially supported DIVX (remember that?!)

I still have cardboard snappers of Midnight Cowboy & Raging Bull. There were other dvds out before Warner's films though. Nothing of note really. Rock n Roll High School jewel case comes to mind & a couple of IMAX documentaries.

Peace

Edited by midnight magicman

• 3 months later...

I didn't get mine until 2002. I got it for Christmas, and I was really upset, because I wasn't ready for one yet :cool:

I had just purchased a nice, Sony VCR, and I was waiting until GOOD DVD units came down in price. Meanwhile, my sisters pitched in, and bought for me a Philips, on-sale-after-Thanksgiving unit for Christmas. Although it wasn't the JVC or Sony that I wanted, the unit still works today. Not too bad for something that they probably paid $70 for...then again, it's been a bedroom unit for quite some time...

• 2 weeks later...

The first player I bought was the one that came in my Dual G4 PowerMac that I bought in 2000, which is still my main computer now(processor and other upgrades making such still work).. When I got it my parents rented some DVD's and we watched them my bedroom.

It didn't take long for my parents to decide it was time to buy a DVD player.... which ultimately turned into a new 36" HD Sony Wega TV replacing the 25" RCA colortrak 2000 console TV that had been our main TV since 1980 because it only had RF input. We hooked the DVD player to the VCR and found that using the VCR as a converter didn't work well with the copy protection.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got mine in 2000 when the Apex AD-600A came out. Great little player for under $200 and it had a "hidden" menu that allowed for region free access, and Macrovision encoding could be turned off. I used it for a few years then sold it on ebay for more than I paid for it new.

Stephen Anderson

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My family got its first DVD player in about 2003, but we didn't use it much until about 2004. As a family we continued to watch VHS tapes primarily until about 2006, when DVDs finally won us over. EXCEPT when it was time to record programs. Until we got DSL in 2011, we would record TV shows on the VCR. We never had cable or a DVR. My sister and I both had our own VCRs while we were growing up in the 90s, but we only had one antenna to share between us for watching/recording TV!

Our DVD player was a Sony, and my parents still use it at home to this day, even after we bought them a Blu-Ray player for Christmas a few years ago.

I don't remember the year, but I do remember the first DVD we rented: It was Cabin Boy (I love the scene where he's dancing on the table...and the floating fat a$$ cupcake)...and after I took it out of the player, Papa asked me (knowing what my response would be :-) ) if I had remembered to rewind it, and I was like "CRAP! I forgot!"

The first DVD we bought was The Big Lebowski.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It must have been early 2003, I got it shortly after Minority Report came out on DVD and that was the first movie I got. That particular disc had problems with skipping large chunks of frames occasionally, I thought it was the cheep-ass Apex player at first, but other discs were fine. Assuming a bad disc, I have picked up a few more copies at garage sales and they do the same thing on some players. Nowadays, I am using the Xbox 360 for DVDs and getting ready to buy my first Blu-ray as I borrowed GOT season 3-4 from someone but it was BR.