IGNORED

Does Guitar Hero for DS look incredibly awkward or is it just me?

i saw the commercial on tv, and i think the term would be cramped.

I've tried to mimic the motions with my DS to just see , and yeah, after maybe 10 minutes of play, I'd be done.

I'm counting down the days until the first carpal tunnel lawsuit appears.

It is awkward, at least at first. Give it a couple of minutes and you get used to it, though.

Having said that, I'm not sure why anyone would need a game like this. The song selection is paltry, it doesn't look as good as the console versions, and with only four frets it even feels watered down. I like the DS and admire Vicarious Visions' work, but this just seems like Activision is running out of ways to capitalize on the success of the Guitar Hero franchise.

i'm waiting for GH metallica before I get another GH game. I just finished GH II on medium and the choice of songs makes me leary to buy another, GH II song selection is terrible in my opinion.

I wondered why something like this wouldn't be done on the PSP since it has the better capabilities, plus you can exploit downloadable content, but after thinking about it, I guess there just isn't any real viable way to strum.

well, after reading the IGN review, I took this off of my "maybe" buy when it's cheap, to never buy.

Does anybody know, was GH1 2 or 3 censored like this game that they can't even have a line in a song about being high? ridiculous. I never noticed anything in GH2, I guess because 85% of the songs i've never heard before or even heard of.

well, after reading the IGN review, I took this off of my "maybe" buy when it's cheap, to never buy.

Does anybody know, was GH1 2 or 3 censored like this game that they can't even have a line in a song about being high? ridiculous. I never noticed anything in GH2, I guess because 85% of the songs i've never heard before or even heard of.

I think on GH2 there was Rage Against the Machine "Killing in the Name"....no naughty language on GH2, which caused a bit of embarassment when I played it on Sirius with my kid in the car.

IGN gave it a 9.0. They said it was good if you don't already have the console versions.

But at this point, who doesn't?

Me. :ponder: But I never bought it because I don't really care for the game.

I'd be curious to see the sales figures for it. I bet it'll be pretty high.

IGN gave it a 9.0. They said it was good if you don't already have the console versions.

But at this point, who doesn't?

If you don't already have the console versions, you should GET THE CONSOLE VERSIONS!

Me either but maybe one day. I would also prefer the console versions vs the DS one. :)

Despite having round about zero previous interest in the GH phenomena, I picked this up because I saw it in a display case and it looked gadgety. Now I think I see why people are so entertained by GH. :) On Tour is tough with big hands, but I can manage it for a short time.

I guess it was just a DS buying kind of day, as I picked up two other cheap games and Space Invaders extreme, which I also had about zero interest in once I saw some gameplay video. But I already had the spinner, so... :D

I've never owned a console version of Guitar Hero; I haven't ever owned a console Guitar Hero would run on. :P I have, however, played the display unit a couple of times at Wal-Mart and enjoyed it quite a lot. I actually considered getting a PS2 at one point for the sole purpose of playing Guitar Hero.

Well, I got my copy of the DS game today and after several hours of playing... my hand is cramped. I have been enjoying myself quite a lot though and I'm happy with the purchase.

I enjoy the GH games, at least what I've played, owning only GH2, I am eagerly awaiting GH Metallica.

The bad thing with GH, at least for me, is the chore of having to play songs that I've never heard of or don't like in order to proceed. I keep thinking, well the next lump of songs will be better, but they never are. Maybe one or two here and there. I can really get into the game and have quite a bit of fun if I like the song, but it's more like work trying to get through something I don't like, and multi-player is pointless because the people I play with have the same taste in music, so we play the same group of songs over and over again. This is the main reason why I will probably never buy another Guitar Hero except for GH specifics like GH: Metallica.

Trogdor is awesome though.

Edited by Atari5200

I enjoy the GH games, at least what I've played, owning only GH2, I am eagerly awaiting GH Metallica.

The bad thing with GH, at least for me, is the chore of having to play songs that I've never heard of or don't like in order to proceed. I keep thinking, well the next lump of songs will be better, but they never are.

Within my group of friends, all of whom used to be fanatical GH players, your point is well taken. We've all been less than impressed with GH ever since GHII, mostly because the badass songs:fller crap ratio keeps getting worse. Rock Band seems to be where it's at now.

Maybe it's my fault for not being more of a music enthusiast, but playing 10 songs I don't know seems like a chore to me, too.

I tried the DS demo at TRU, and it seems kind weak. Granted, the DS was clamped into a bracket, and you couldn't hear anything.

It's funny, the first thing I thought of was the Gripmaster finger exerciser, which then occured to me might be really helpful to GH players!

gripmaster_lrg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Sold 300,000 in it's first week. Guess it's more popular than we thought.

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/07/03/guitar-...its-first-week/

I don't doubt that it sold well in the first week with all the promotion behind it. I won't be getting it for the simple fact that the add on won't fit my DS light with my Nerf Armor. :) I love my black Nerf Armor on my black DS, makes it look like it's military grade or something!

I got the game for nearly free today (well, $10.16, courtesy a sloppy pricing error on the part of an EB employee on a used copy) and I've played through the first few stages on easy... It's Guitar Hero, but it's uncomfortable, and silly looking, and my hand cramped up after a while. I'm a guitarist and I've been playing in live bands for thirty-some years now, so I'm not the biggest Guitar Hero fan in the world (hey, I'd generally rather be playing one of my real guitars ;) ) but even my son - who is a HUGE GH fanboy - thinks this version is a pretty obvious money grab with little real long-term play value... Considering the outrageous price of the thing and the healthy trade value it will have for the next little while, I'm sure you'll see lots'n'lots of used copies on the shelves at Game Stop and EB before Christmas. I guess if you've just gotta have Guitar Hero in a handheld, you couldn't really do much better than this, but it's just not destined for greatness... my 2¢

I saw the new Guitar Hero DS in the Sunday ads, and it just looks like the most awkward game to play....has anyone played this?

Probably about as awkward as playing GH with the control pad..or if you learned on the control pad, then the guitar would be alien to you so :P it's just going to be a case of preferance, and experiance in useing it.