IGNORED

Space Run Demo

Atarius Maximus

I was experimenting with a 3D type space shooter with this one, but haven't gotten very far with it. It's nowhere near a complete game. The playfield scrolls back to give the illusion that you're travelling down the tunnel. The obstacles scroll up the tunnel from the middle (and get larger as they approach), you then have to fly around and avoid them. If you run into one, the screen will flash red. I actually did this quite some time ago and got stuck, I just wasn't sure where to go with the game. Anybody see any potential in this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

post-2143-1214252055_thumb.jpg

spacerun8.txt

spacerun8.bin

This looks sweet! :cool: If I'm not mistaken, this is the first attempt at 3-D with Bbasic...

As for, "Where to go with this game," it seems obvious to me... Star Wars Death Star Attack!!! Just get rid of the top bar that scrolls up and you've got a custom made Death Star Trench. You already have the Tie Fighters (remember as the sprites get wider, they should also get longer, too!), so go for it! :)

It is my understanding that Lucas doesn't mind stuff like this as long as you don't attempt to make money off of it, but don't quote me on that!

This looks sweet! :cool: If I'm not mistaken, this is the first attempt at 3-D with Bbasic...

*Ahem*, yes, yes you are.

As for this game, the snapshot you posted looks pretty cool. I haven't downloaded it myself, but I'm definitely going to.

Oh... :ponder: What did I miss, jbs? Unless you mean your space harrier project... I guess that's going to be 3-D isn't it... my bad... :ponder: and now that you think about it, Atarius Maximus' Turbo was kinda 3-d, too, huh...

I just... uhhh... well, I mean... I'm just going to go take my foot out of my mouth! :x

Edited by lord_mike

Neat!

Idea wise, you might could turn it into a Tunnel Hunt port. Or something like this (also in bB) :

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1354961

I just downloaded Star Hawk and it's pretty cool. :) I'm not familiar with Tunnel Hunt, I'd have to look that one up.

As for, "Where to go with this game," it seems obvious to me... Star Wars Death Star Attack!!! Just get rid of the top bar that scrolls up and you've got a custom made Death Star Trench. You already have the Tie Fighters (remember as the sprites get wider, they should also get longer, too!), so go for it!

Not a bad idea, but that type of game has already been done with M-Network's Star Strike and s0c7's Star Hawk.

I think you could put your decent talent toward something more interesting.

Yeah, this project stalled pretty quickly after I started on it, because I didn't really know what to do with it after I made the moving playfield. Maybe it just wasn't interesting enough to me, either. I thought putting it out there and asking for feedback might inspire me to continue working on it. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm going to explore a few more ideas, but I'm not sure if this will ever become a finished game. It sure was fun to make the demo, though. :D

Steve

Maybe it would be cool if your ship only moved left and right and pushing up made you go forward and pushing down made you go backwards (with that 3D playfield effect moving accordingly). So instead of the constant 3D effect, it would move toward you or away from you depending on your actions.

• 2 weeks later...
I was experimenting with a 3D type space shooter with this one, but haven't gotten very far with it. It's nowhere near a complete game. The playfield scrolls back to give the illusion that you're travelling down the tunnel. The obstacles scroll up the tunnel from the middle (and get larger as they approach), you then have to fly around and avoid them. If you run into one, the screen will flash red. I actually did this quite some time ago and got stuck, I just wasn't sure where to go with the game. Anybody see any potential in this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Yeah I have a suggestion! Please keep going on this! I've not tried it yet but I think Im going to like it. A LOT!

I like the way you think. Now let me give it a whirl. :)

Maybe it would be cool if your ship only moved left and right and pushing up made you go forward and pushing down made you go backwards (with that 3D playfield effect moving accordingly). So instead of the constant 3D effect, it would move toward you or away from you depending on your actions.

Hmmmmm.....I like that for sure.....

Maybe an option... I kind of like what he is doing but your idea is definitely of merit.

If I may expand on this....do it the way you explained. But allow a second player to

move up and down with the right joystick. Maybe add tunnel mounted targets and the

second player can be the bomber of those targets. Mount the targets on either the left

or right walls of the tunnel so player 2 can not only move 'in' and 'out' but fire left and

right as well. I think it's got potential all around.

Nexar 2 : the Batari Quest :cool:

I think he should stay away from copywritten names. Name it something original.

my proposition was just a joke

cause when I saw the game, I thought of Nexar

Understood! :) I remember liking that game. SpectraVideo was it?