IGNORED

Adventure: can you hide in a castle?

ComputerSpaceFan

This is probably a question for Nukey Shay or someone with real nuts and bolts knowledge of the code of Adventure but here goes:

I used to think if I was being chased by a dragon, so long as I got into the gates of a castle I was safe from him, am I wrong? Similarly, if the bat was carrying something useless like a dead dragon body and he was zeroeing in on my position because he wanted to yank away the chalice from me, I would think I could duck into a castle till he flew past and then continue on my way to the yellow castle. Is this incorrect?

The reason I ask, is that trick used to work just fine back in the days of original classic Adventure however I just got Adventure Plus (an awesome homebrew I must say) and both the dragons and the bat follow me inside the castle in that game. The same thing happens in Adventure II on the Flashback console, though so far I've only noticed this behaviour with the dragons. They follow me into a castle but the bat flies past.

So what's the real nature of the code? What happens when you go into a castle? Are you just in the next screen or is there a certain amount of "protection" inside those walls?

It's been a while since I last looked at the code but I don't recall there being any special limitations to either dragons or bat with respect to entering the castles except that they must do it the same way you do, through the gate if they are entering from the castle screen. I don't recall if the original room matrix connected any inner-castle rooms with other outside rooms ( I know the Yellow Castle room didn't--it just connected to itself (except for down), which is why you could trap the bat inside). If there are such connections in the matrix, the dragons and bat could get inside a castle that way since walls are meaningless to them.

Edited by yorgle

If you are inside a castle and you're sure there aren't any dragons in said castle, you should be safe. I can't think of any way they can enter, unless you lure them in yourself. if you wedge yourself on the top left part of an open gate and hold up and to the left, a dragon can be forced inside the castle. Other than that, I think you're pretty safe inside a dragon-free castle. I hope that helps. :)

If you are inside a castle and you're sure there aren't any dragons in said castle, you should be safe. I can't think of any way they can enter, unless you lure them in yourself. if you wedge yourself on the top left part of an open gate and hold up and to the left, a dragon can be forced inside the castle. Other than that, I think you're pretty safe inside a dragon-free castle. I hope that helps. :)

You should be "pretty safe," as you say-- but not totally safe. It might be very rare for a dragon to cross through a castle entrance by itself if it didn't see you enter the castle and then gave chase, but there are two cases in which a dragon might enter-- (1) if the bat is carrying a dragon and the bat flies through the castle entrance; or (2) if the bat is carrying an object that a dragon wants, and the dragon happens to cross through the castle entrance as it's chasing the bat.

Edit: Actually, the dragon wouldn't necessarily need to be chasing the bat. If an object that a dragon wants happens to be placed in a certain spot, and the dragon happens to enter that screen just so, then it's possible that the dragon might cross over the castle entrance as it's moving toward the object.

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff

If I recall, you are safe in the yellow castle. Perhaps it is a difficulty setting? As for the bat, the bat cannot enter the yellow castle unless you take him in there. then he has "permission" I use the yellow castle to store things so the Bat does not get them.

I thought entering a castle in the normal way requires touching an open gate, and since collisions don't take place off-screen, you should be safe in any empty castle. (With the possibility of exceptions for sneaky room connections, where an interior castle room with walls the player can't cross is adjacent to a similar room outside the castle).

• 2 weeks later...

How the screens are layed out makes no difference...only room links matter. All sprites use those when moving to different screens. There is only 1 exception...and that is when a sprite bumps into an open castle gate (which would teleport it into the corresponding castle room. This can -only- happen when the castle gate is visible on the screen, because the game uses standard collision-detection to notice the collision. So sitting inside a castle that has no dragons in it would keep you 100% safe in the original game...they have no possibility of causing a sprite collision even if their direction would have caused them to travel over the spot where a castle gate is located. The gate isn't onscreen, therefore no collision is detected - and no room change happens.

However...

The room links themselves are slightly (incorrect?) in game variation #1. As you may know, the game uses a seperate matrix of map changes between the game variations (placing the screen that is to the Northeast of the catacombs in games 2/3 to be inside the black castle...for example). It appears that WR didn't include all of the map changes (or perhaps it was intentional)...but the black castle can be entered in an additional way from the outside only in game #1: moving sideways from the castle screen itself. So in game #1...if dragons are roaming, you are not safe inside the black castle. Relatively safe...since dragons will not change direction unless something interferes with their current direction...but not beyond probability that their current direction would eventually cause them to move sideways from just outside the black castle.

The yellow and white castles are completely safe in all variations (tho the white castle is unreachable in variation #1).

Edited by Nukey Shay

Thanks Nukey, so any idea why Yorgle always chases me into the Green Castle in Adventure 2 on the FlashBack? I figured I would be safe from him in there (although Grundle is always there waiting). And this phenomenon also seems to happen in Adventure Plus. I figure the code for both games is different from the original code?

Naturally. The kernal is basically the same (besides swapping the missile for the ball...so the playfield can have improved asymmetry...i.e. blocked passages that look like part of the playfield)...but the map data is totally different than the original game. Some paths are one-way, some rooms inside castles can take you outside and visa-versa. Try this so you can move like they do and explore the links yourself:

adventure2_FB_no_collisions_.zip