IGNORED

CASE/COSMETIC MODS AND FRANKENTARIS

MEtalGuy66

Is anyone out there doing really kewl case mods these days?

I know Beetle is. But anyone else? With the MIO project these days, I dont really have time for the painstaking hours it takes to do it.

myxe.jpg

some may remember my XE function key mod from 2 years ago

post-8775-1214412595_thumb.jpg

Heres a concept image I came up with for putting a 1200XL keyboard in an XEGS

Since the 1200XL's keyboard has the 4051 decoders on-board, this would be easy to do, and shouldnt require any changes to the XEGS keyboard cable. The wiring could easily be adapted inside the XEGS external keyboard enclosure. This would get rid of the gay looking pastel colored buttons everyone hates on the XEGS and also provide a really good keyboard instead of the really crappy one that comes in the XEGS from the factory.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I recased a Mega-ST into my Morta Kombat Cabinet years ago... this is technically a case mod for an Atari. Does this count? ;)

gallery_4398_26_2523.jpg

Yes, I could use the joysticks to move the mouse!

Edited by Cybernoid

I love this one. I am getting ready to order my SIO2SD and I think I'd like to do something like that!

Nothing recently. To date, my mods are: 1064sd, a dvd inside a 1050 case (extremely easy and clean mod-- even fit an extra USB port in place of the power switch). Here's the 1064sd:

Is anyone out there doing really kewl case mods these days?

I know Beetle is. But anyone else? With the MIO project these days, I dont really have time for the painstaking hours it takes to do it.

myxe.jpg

some may remember my XE function key mod from 2 years ago

post-8775-1214412595_thumb.jpg

Heres a concept image I came up with for putting a 1200XL keyboard in an XEGS

Since the 1200XL's keyboard has the 4051 decoders on-board, this would be easy to do, and shouldnt require any changes to the XEGS keyboard cable. The wiring could easily be adapted inside the XEGS external keyboard enclosure. This would get rid of the gay looking pastel colored buttons everyone hates on the XEGS and also provide a really good keyboard instead of the really crappy one that comes in the XEGS from the factory.

These are all of them? Theres not even the whole 5200 in a 2600 jr case.

These are all of them? Theres not even the whole 5200 in a 2600 jr case.

2600? I dont mess with those. The system is way too limited, and even when I was a kid in 1979, I was bored with it in 5 minutes.. The games just plain SUCK (Yes, I'm very oppinionated) and havent the most remote resemblence to the coin-op versions... Sound sucks.. Graphics suck.. To be fair, so does intellivision...

The 5200? Now THATS a real system. But... I dont collect stuff just to take up space..

The 5200 is just a castrated ATARI 8-bit computer. If you take an XEGS and unplug the keyboard, youve essentially got an atari 5200 with 4 times more memory, disk/peripheral support, direct use of standard digital game controllers, built in composite video and audio outputs (in addition to RF out), and about 100 times more games. Oh yeah, and built in BASIC and Missile command.

So that's why I PERSONALLY havent jacked with any 2600s or 5200s.. Why havent any of these other people posted pictures of projects related to them? Hmmmm.. Maybe because this is the ATARI 8-BIT HOME COMPUTER forum?

Nothing recently. To date, my mods are: 1064sd...

Hi Yorgle

Very nice! I like a lot that 1064sd. Do you have more pics of that mod? And some tips on how to build one of those?

If I ever get my hands on a 1064, I'd like to mod it into a 1064sd.

Regards

Here's the 1064sd:

post-9249-1214428176_thumb.jpg

This is in fact the best looking SIO2SD implementation i have seen so far.

My hat off to you, sir!

Thanks. Coming from you, that is high praise, indeed! But if fear that if you saw the inside of it, you wouldn't be very impressed. It's a real rats nest. My skills are more toward the aesthetic than the practical. The silver keys are from an old 600xl keyboard and are simply hard-wired in parallel with the switches on the sio2sd. The sd card socket was harvested from a cheap card reader and that, too, is simply hard-wired in parallel with the socket on pigula's PCB using a small length of ribbon cable. I superglued legos to the inside of the case to make mounting posts for everything. Still, it does work and looks better than a naked PCB. I still want to add the LEDs somewhere.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had to also remotely mount the display to make everything fit. I was too cheap to buy a socket and cable for it so that, too, is hard-wired with a bit of ribbon cable.

Edited by yorgle

I think that XM301 modem would be a perfect case for SIO2SD.

You can also buy these modems nowadays.

MEtalGuy, would you do it?

Obviously after have done the XC1411 monitor that someone will buy for $500,000.00! :grin:

post-12528-1214470137_thumb.jpg post-12528-1214470147_thumb.jpg

I wouldnt do it... Why mees up a perfectly good XM301? You know.. after this "internet" trend dies off a bit, 300baud modems are gonna make a BIG comeback... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I recased a Mega-ST into my Morta Kombat Cabinet years ago... this is technically a case mod for an Atari. Does this count? ;)

gallery_4398_26_2523.jpg

Yes, I could use the joysticks to move the mouse!

That's cool. What desktop are you using?

As far as modding goes, I've stuck to just internal upgrades so far, no case mods.

Edited by Gunstar