IGNORED

Glenn "The 5200 Man" Conversion List

ballyalley

Glenn's name creeps up from time to time on topics. His name sure did get around. I want to know all of the conversions that he made. Here is a list that I tossed together. I put question marks next to the games I'm not sure of.

Battlezone (?)

Blue Print

Centipede

Counter Measure (?)

Crystal Castles (?)

Dig Dug

Football

Gremlins

Jr. Pac-Man (?)

Mario Bros.

Pac-Man (?)

Qix

Space Dungeon

Super Pac-man

Vanguard

Xevious

Am I missing any games? I think that it would be neat to make an ATR with all of his converted games. Has anyone made a 5200-to-8-Bit conversion ATR already?

Adam

>>

Not that I've seen but something like that would be trivial to put together...

>>

I'm quite a newbie at all the CURRENT places to look for this type of information. Heck, I still mainly just use my old Yogi archive megadisks that I downloaded in 1996/7. Where is the best place to look?

Adam

Glenn's name creeps up from time to time on topics. His name sure did get around. I want to know all of the conversions that he made. Here is a list that I tossed together. I put question marks next to the games I'm not sure of.

Am I missing any games? I think that it would be neat to make an ATR with all of his converted games. Has anyone made a 5200-to-8-Bit conversion ATR already?

Adam

Moon Patrol

Pengo

Are you sure he did a version for all of those?

You can grab Moon Patrol, Gremlins, and Mario Brothers that have the sound fixed for XL/XE computers I posted in a thread here somewhere.

Adam

Moon Patrol

Pengo

I used to have floppies of many of these games from back in the day. I've been able to find several of these games on the Internet, but they are not in ATR format-- though the games seem to be the same. The disks that I used to have almost always had a loading screen that explained a bit about how terrible Atari was for missing some opportunity or another and

how it was that "Glenn" converted the games. I miss those introductions. Does anyone know where ATR images of THESE are?

I'm not certain that "Glenn" made all of those 5200-to-8-Bit conversions. I'm hoping that someone reading this can come forward with a more complete list-- or one that is verified. Most games, I recall, have been converted by SOMEONE from the 5200 to the 8-bit. Just reading some of the posts here I see that some of these conversions have been done in the last few years.

Thanks for pointing out Moon Patrol and Pengo!

Adam

Here's my collection of 5200 conversions. I believe it's complete, minus games that are already available for 8-bit and games that I just just don't care to have in my collection.

5200_Conversions.zip

Vanguard is the only one that falls into the "I just don't care to own" category. Of the others that are available for the 8-bit already, I believe only Pac-Man has any significant differences - mainly, the intermissions (which i always hated) and the ghost behavior (which i find to be far more aggressive than the original). Additionally, I have added the "hacked" version of Mario Bros., which was done by Tebe, Vidol, and String.

Some of these were converted by Glenn, and some of them by HomeSoft. Some may also have been converted by others. I leave this to someone else to figure out...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I know this is an older set of messages but I too remember "glenn the 5200 man" conversions from my bbs days. But I no longer have any of them on disk. Anyone else know of a spot where they can be found. I did grab the zip file mrfish put together but haven't tried it yet. What I'm interested in is Vanguard, Space dungeon and xevious.

Moon Patrol

Pengo

You can grab Moon Patrol, Gremlins, and Mario Brothers that have the sound fixed for XL/XE computers I posted in a thread here somewhere.

What's wrong with the sound of those? Could you probably re-post the link?

Thanks,

Thomas

Here's my collection of 5200 conversions. I believe it's complete, minus games that are already available for 8-bit and games that I just just don't care to have in my collection.

I seems it's not the full list. which would be the full list ? (not eliminating any game at all as mention above)

Moon Patrol

Pengo

What's wrong with the sound of those? Could you probably re-post the link?

Early pirate copies I obtained only had their sound correct on the 400/800 and required the Translator or FIXXL if run on the XL/XE. Otherwise, the sound would be distorted to painfully high frequencies.

Later versions I got were fixed for XL/XE, as were many other titles in the last 25 years (e.g. Homesoft's version of "Capture the Flag" runs on XL/XE without Translator/FIXXL).

Thorsten

I think homesoft did some conversions, microgammon sb, frisky tom, A.E, Battlezone ,Basketball ,Burger time, Looney toons hotel, Meteorites & Miniture Golf

homesoft might have done more 52 to a8 hacks

Going by a post in the 5200 forums i think Fandal is doing a conversion the other way A8 to 52

Edited by carmel_andrews

Battlezone (?)

Blue Print

Centipede

Counter Measure (?)

Crystal Castles (?)

Dig Dug

Football

Gremlins

Jr. Pac-Man (?)

Mario Bros.

Pac-Man (?)

Qix

Space Dungeon

Super Pac-man

Vanguard

Xevious

Adam

I remember 5200 Soccer was another one.

tjb

Funny story...

I know of a guy who knew Glenn and carried Atari stuff in his store. He used to supply Glenn with the latest 5200 carts and Glenn would dump them and send them back. Anyway, a buddy of mine kept in touch with this guy (the store owner) so I asked him to see if he'd like to give an interview about his Atari days. Well, I heard back and it seems he's done a lot of drugs over the years and doesn't remember that much, plus he didn't seem all that nostalgic about it anyway. I'm bummed because this guy was really connected to the underground scene.

I don't own an 8-bit, but just curious... how do you run these conversions on your 8-bit computer? Just a link to a howto would suffice. Thanks.

why not :D

many ways to do it. Easiest would be an SIO2PC interface and a PC running APE, basically the PC acts like a huge Hard Drive for your Atari.You could then copy the image to a real Atari Disc Drive

Then there are all the other SIO2xxx devices such as SIO2SD,SIO2IDE, MyIDE etc etc

Battlezone (?)

Blue Print

Centipede

Counter Measure (?)

Crystal Castles (?)

Dig Dug

Football

Gremlins

Jr. Pac-Man (?)

Mario Bros.

Pac-Man (?)

Qix

Space Dungeon

Super Pac-man

Vanguard

Xevious

Adam

I remember 5200 Soccer was another one.

tjb

Actually all of the Real Sports games were converted.

Early pirate copies I obtained only had their sound correct on the 400/800 and required the Translator or FIXXL if run on the XL/XE. Otherwise, the sound would be distorted to painfully high frequencies.

Does anyone have any idea exactly what causes the sound to come out screwy in these conversions? I've noticed quite a few of them don't sound quite right, though I wouldn't describe any of them as "painful" exactly... are the POKEYs used in the 5200 and the XL/XE all that different, or is it something in the analog part of the electronics?

Does anyone have any idea exactly what causes the sound to come out screwy in these conversions? I've noticed quite a few of them don't sound quite right, though I wouldn't describe any of them as "painful" exactly... are the POKEYs used in the 5200 and the XL/XE all that different, or is it something in the analog part of the electronics?

I believe it was an assumption that the Pokey registers would be in a certain state.

I seems it's not the full list. which would be the full list ? (not eliminating any game at all as mention above)

Hi,

Here is an interesting link. Click here!

I believe it was an assumption that the Pokey registers would be in a certain state.

Yes, the three I fixed I just added some code to store to a couple of registers in POKEY to reset it before jumping to the main code.