IGNORED

Re-United with some old projects...

simonh

My sincere thanks go to Steven Tucker and Cabell Clarke for their part in re-uniting me with the Source Code to both "Diamonds" and "Dan Strikes Back", as well as a number of other unfinished projects. They took the original 5.25" floppies (I kept them for 25 years) and created ATR images from the disks. Fortunately, I had the foresight to make multiple copies of the disks, back in '83/'84, and so we've recovered all the original files (despite some flawed images)

Thanks guys.

The image below shows screenshots I took after loading the souce code and re-assembling those unfinished projects. It's neat to see them again after all these years!

pic347298.jpg

( A ) The directory listing and beginning of src code for "Diamonds"

( B ) The sequel to "Diamonds" and "Dan Strikes Back" (unfinished)

( C ) A Qix-like game (unfinished)

( D ) A "Light-Cycles" game (unfinished)

( E ) A "Writing Software" game (unfinished)

Now, perhaps I'll have to see if I can make workable games out of some of these ideas.

(but don't hold your breath!)

Cheers,

~Simon

just went through the "ATR" thread which I have missed...

"Digger Dan strikes back" I have played a lot lot of times... and I would be pleased to have a look into the source code. will you make the sources public?

It looks like you are using MAC/65 so it should be possible to print the stuff to the virtual "P:" driver into the windows notepad...

:)

btw. who did the music?

"Digger Dan strikes back" I have played a lot lot of times... and I would be pleased to have a look into the source code. will you make the sources public?

I will probably release the source code eventually, but I haven't yet decided what form it will take. I'm seriously thinking about documenting the design, complete with illustrations from my original hand written notes, rather than release just the assembler code.

btw. who did the music?

The music playing while the title screen is showing was composed by J.S.Bach :) It was a little piece I learnt to play on the piano when I was a kid. The music during gameplay was my own composition, written especially for "Dan Strikes Back".

It's great that you've kept the disks safely and they'll now see the light of day. Have you looked at any the modern PC based macro assemblers now like XASM and MADS ? They're well worth checking out.

Will look forward to your documented notes on your work :)

Welcome to the AtariAge boards Simon - fantastic that you had held onto those disks! I'd done something similar, holding onto a shoebox of disks JetBootJack gave me one AMS show up near Stafford. I was able to image these and send them back. :)

"Diamonds" holds fond memories for me as it was the first tape game we bought after getting an Atari 600XL, tape deck and the Defender cartridge one Christmas (long long ago). I think I only completed it once (and couldn't find a camera at the time) but was probably too late for claiming the prize anyway. :D

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Simon

Well i guess like me you paid a vist to the loft after many years and found a long forgot box of goodies. I found all my 5.25 disks are still readable not bad for 20 plus years of storage.

Hope more peole vist their lofts and post what they find. There was quite some sharing of stuff back in the day i found a few bits of music by Richard Munns which were never used even still in fast basic and also an early source for Menace.

Andy