IGNORED

What's your rarest find in the wild?

shadow460

For the 2600, I once found River Raid II and Subterranea at a Goodwill...at the same time. Not the rarest games or even our (my wife and my) rarest 2600 find (that would be Boing!), but finding them both together is pretty unusual, I'd say. My wife found another Subterranea at the same Goodwill a couple years earlier, as well as Boing! and Marauder on different occasions. I also found Cosmic Corridor at a different Goodwill about ten years ago.

For 5200, Frogger II. Got it for something like $3.

There was also the time when I first started collecting that I passed on a bunch of Aquarius stuff at Goodwill, because I didn't have a system. (WHY, 17-year-old self?) Pretty sure I remember a Burgertime being in there.

I also found my JVC X'Eye and heavy sixer joysticks at Goodwill.

Samurai Shodown II for NeoGeo was found, CIB, at a small thrift store in my neighborhood.

I found my copy of Galactic Attack for the TRS-80 Color Computer at a church rummage sale. No, it's not rare (although it seems even the most common CoCo games are still relatively rare). But it's the ONLY CoCo item I've EVER seen in the wild.

There's a game/card shop in my hometown that I make sure to visit whenever I'm in town. Over the years, the things I've found at this place include:

2600: Miner 2049er, Kung Fu Master, Double Dragon, silver-label Asteroids, and about 30 other R4-R5 games I didn't have at the time.

7800: Alien Brigade (this one was $15, but it was still a good find, I think)

Intellivision: Stadium Mud Buggies, Pole Position, Diner, INTV Pac-Man, River Raid, Centipede, Sewer Sam, Blockade Runner, Slam Dunk SP Basketball, Slap Shot SP Hockey, Championship Tennis, and Thin Ice...at the same time. (Buy 5, Get 1 Free x 2. $1.00 each, so $10 in games and two freebies, one of which I count Mud Buggies as. :-D) Also, Dracula and Dreadnaught Factor come to mind.

Vectrex: Vectrex system ($50, which is a little spendy but still a hell of a bargain. They thought it was broken.)

TI-99/4a: Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Burgertime, Parsec, Treasure Island, Moon Mine, Munch Man, other commons

And that's the stuff I remember! (They do still have an overpriced Laseractive that they've been sitting on for years, too.)

Overall, I think the Stadium Mud Buggies/INTV rares lot was maybe my rarest find. Not only were most of the games pretty damn unusual to see in the wild, but they were all there together.

Well I was trying to think.. I guess..

I got a Turbo Grafx 16 and 20 games from a garage sell for like 20.00 and later found out that 5 of the games are worth some bucks Air zonk though is the only one I can think of without digging it out.

I got a boxed nice shape RCA Studio 2 for 3.00..

I had gotten a bunch of R3-R8 games at Super Flea in North Versailles about 7-8 years ago before the old granny b&*tch sat up shop there and bought peoples stuff before they even had it out of their cars and marked the price up about 300 percent in her little shop area.... Anyone from Pittsburgh that ever went there wil know who I am talking about.

And of course my all time favorite story to tell, which I believe I have told on here about 4 times now the Swordquest: Waterworld MIB Sealed I found at a local privately owned thrift store by my parents house. My wife and I were there, right before we were married and I was digging through some junk in a box and low and behold there was a SQ:Waterworld with a Toys R us or Kaybee pricetag on it and it was sealed and unopened and in great shape... I asked how much and the guy said 10 bucks I said I'll take it, but I had to walk across the street to the MAC machine to get some cash, as he didn't accept Credit cards or anything. I walked over and came back and he told me the game was no longer for sell. I asked why and he said it just wasn't then asked me exactly how rare it was. Immediately I looked at my wife who wouldn't make eye contact and walked away. I asked her what happened in the 2 minutes I was gone. She said "He asked me why you were so interested in that game?" and she proceeded to tell him "he has hundreds of them if he wants this one it must be pretty rare."

:x :x :x :x

TO this day everytime we go flea marketing or thrift store shopping I make a point of reminding about the Waterworld incident.......

MAN, that really sucks!

Speaking of who's still around, whats up with Shadow (starter of this topic) anyways? I know he popped back in about 6 months ago but is he gone again?

I'm around occasionally, and I'm still actively collecting and playing classic games. :)

My rarest find is still the boxed Quest cart, but I came close to that yesterday with a loose Shuttle Orbiter. Also, I found a loose Stargunner in a lot on Craigslist.