IGNORED

Adventure: why didn't the dragons turn around?

ComputerSpaceFan

Hey there, got yet another Adventure question for you code experts.

This is really just nit-picking but I am curious why the dragons only ever face one direction? Why don't they flip to face right if they are moving right? In the awesome hack Grundle vs Rhindle both dragons turn around as they run back and forth on the basketball court so I know it's possible to do it. Was the Adventure code locked down to showing a static character that could not be rotated? Admittedly nothing else flips to face the right direction either (eg. the sword). Or was it just a case of the programmer didn't have enough time to put in that level of polish?

This is really just nit-picking but I am curious why the dragons only ever face one direction? Why don't they flip to face right if they are moving right? In the awesome hack Grundle vs Rhindle both dragons turn around as they run back and forth on the basketball court so I know it's possible to do it. Was the Adventure code locked down to showing a static character that could not be rotated? Admittedly nothing else flips to face the right direction either (eg. the sword). Or was it just a case of the programmer didn't have enough time to put in that level of polish?

It's only a 4K game but since the TIA does have the flip feature it probably could have been added. No extra shape required. I'd love to see a hack that fixes this.

My guess is that the dragon's mouth is programmed to zero in on the player. Simply flipping the graphic would result in the dragon attacking with the back of its head. So you would need to flip the sprite, not just the graphic. That would affect how the game tracks the dragon's position, etc. It could be that it was possible to do, but deemed not worth the trouble.

Am I crazy? I swear they *do* turn around... don't they? Or are you talking about turning their head the other way while their tail stays the same way it was? :?

Michael

Nope if I am running away from Yorgle and I run to the right hand side of the screen, Yorgle is running after me with his back facing me and his mouth pointed ther other way.

Am I crazy? I swear they *do* turn around... don't they? Or are you talking about turning their head the other way while their tail stays the same way it was? :?

Michael

Nope if I am running away from Yorgle and I run to the right hand side of the screen, Yorgle is running after me with his back facing me and his mouth pointed ther other way.

I just played it in an emulator and you're absolutely right. I must have known that before, but I swear it doesn't stick out in my memory that way. I guess I never gave it much thought. The weird thing is, it should have been a very simple matter to add the logic for flipping the player shape around depending on which direction the dragon is moving in.

Michael

I must have known that before, but I swear it doesn't stick out in my memory that way. I guess I never gave it much thought.

You were probably too frightened running away to really look at the dragonsducks closely.

The dragonducks? :)

post-31-1215185648_thumb.jpg

If the perspective was overhead then seeing them as we did was all wrong. It was more of a schematic.

The Dragon is "here"...You are "here"...

The Dragon moves closer, what do You do?

GO EAST

The Dragon follows You east....etc.

Reading backwards...yeah Icons, that's it.

Michael

Quite observant,i never noticed that!

I was thinking from the pic above,wouldnt it be cool to have a modern version of Adventure,on todays consoles?Nothings better than the original,but it would be neat to see the Dragons and environment with todays graphics,not that graphics is really important,to me,just curious.

Edited by Rik

Who did that picture, its awesome! Is there a higher resolution version available anywhere?

I must have known that before, but I swear it doesn't stick out in my memory that way. I guess I never gave it much thought.

You were probably too frightened running away to really look at the dragonsducks closely.

The dragonducks? :)

post-31-1215185648_thumb.jpg