IGNORED

Jaguar Controllers

Sauron

I'd have to agree that most people who bash the Jag pad, have never actually used one. Much like 99% of the system bashers. I've got big hands and the Jag pad is a nice fit. Though I liked the original Xbox controllers too. :ponder: :)

Back in my less cooler head days, I'd smash a few keyboards and mice.

I usually don't take it out on inanimate objects, but I remember one stunning moment in college when a shitty lab computer trashed several days worth of code on me. I calmly picked up the full size big ass XT keyboard and proceed to use it as a bat to smash the monochrome monitor off the hulking case and straight onto the floor. Flying keys were an added bonus. :x :lol:

I only destroyed the mice or keys because the monitors were way to much to replace back then. :D

• 3 weeks later...
No, the 3do might have a handfull more good games than the Jag, but the 3do has a TON of shit games... All that FMV crap... Here are some of the worst systems ever:

Action Max, Bandai Pippen, Fairchild Channel F, FM Towns Marty, Magnavox Odyssey,

NEC Super Grafx , Nintendo 64 DD, Nintendo Virtual Boy, NUON, Phillips CD-I, Pioneer LaserActive, Sega 32X...

I actually like some games on the Virtual Boy, NUON & 32X, but all of these systems have less than 50 games and some have less than 25... The Jaguar has well over 100 games now thanks to its thriving homebrew scene. Surely "one of the worst systems ever" wouldn't have a thriving fanbase still to this day as the Jaguar does! Would it? The Jaguar is a notch above these systems.

Dude have you ever played a Marty?? It is one of the best consoles ever!!! It had pixel perfect arcade ports of GREAT games, like Splatter House & Outrun. Not to mention the Lucas Arts games, Raiden, Raxander, The Ultima series and sooooo many more. And 99% of all the games are in English and Japanese so there is no real language barrier. You spoke of people slandering a console without playing it earlier and I think that is exactly what the case is here. I could go on for hours about the Marty!!

And as for the Super Grafx everyone of the 7 games for it were MINT, while small it packs one helluva punch, and besides the whole PC Engine titles were avalible. Unlike the Jaguar CD with it's 4 out 14 good games. Hell even the 32X is a good system but on par with the Jaguar if you ask me and in no way better. I also think the Laser Active while not anything to brag about alone with teh PC Engnie add-ons for Hu cards and CD-ROM's with the Sega CD add-on makes it an awesome system due to it's multiuse. Besides laser disc rock!!

EDIT

umhjc.jpg

Only 199.99!! Ok that is simply an overkill. But if it was true and cheaper, lighter, and shorter...

Or maybe even this bad boy the worlds first 27 button handheld!!

portjag.jpg

Edited by atreyu187

Dude have you ever played a Marty?? It is one of the best consoles ever!!! It had pixel perfect arcade ports of GREAT games, like Splatter House & Outrun. Not to mention the Lucas Arts games, Raiden, Raxander, The Ultima series and sooooo many more. And 99% of all the games are in English and Japanese so there is no real language barrier. You spoke of people slandering a console without playing it earlier and I think that is exactly what the case is here. I could go on for hours about the Marty!!

I've played the Marty, and you're right, most of the games on it were very well done. However, it didn't have a large library of games (unless you like adult Hentai games), was only released in Japan, and was quite expensive in comparison to other consoles. On top of that, the manufacturer essentially just gave up on it even though sales had picked up. I don't think he was slandering the Marty, though...he was simply saying that overall it wasn't as good of a system as the Jaguar, a sentiment I'd have to agree with.

And as for the Super Grafx everyone of the 7 games for it were MINT, while small it packs one helluva punch, and besides the whole PC Engine titles were avalible. Unlike the Jaguar CD with it's 4 out 14 good games. Hell even the 32X is a good system but on par with the Jaguar if you ask me and in no way better. I also think the Laser Active while not anything to brag about alone with teh PC Engnie add-ons for Hu cards and CD-ROM's with the Sega CD add-on makes it an awesome system due to it's multiuse. Besides laser disc rock!!

7 whole games does not a system make. Good point about it in comparison with the JagCD, though. Atari should have made the Jag a CD system from the beginning, but that's another debate for another time...

The 32X doesn't even belong in the same discussion with the Jaguar, though. I'm sure it's possible to find good games for every system ever released, but the 32X was an overpriced and underpowered hack that wasn't even a stand-alone system. And don't even get me started on the LaserActive. :)

Besides, the whole point of what he listed is that all of those as stand-alone systems had less to offer someone than the Jaguar, and I'd have to agree.

I really don't care for the Jag controllers for Jag games. I think the D-Pad is a bit touchy or something. I do love them for the ColecoVision on the other hand! :cool:

That hacked ProController makes the Baby Jesus cry.

I really don't care for the Jag controllers for Jag games. I think the D-Pad is a bit touchy or something. I do love them for the ColecoVision on the other hand! :cool:

That hacked ProController makes the Baby Jesus cry.

...for joy when he plays the ColecoVision with it! :twisted:

I've played the Marty, and you're right, most of the games on it were very well done. However, it didn't have a large library of games (unless you like adult Hentai games), was only released in Japan, and was quite expensive in comparison to other consoles. On top of that, the manufacturer essentially just gave up on it even though sales had picked up. I don't think he was slandering the Marty, though...he was simply saying that overall it wasn't as good of a system as the Jaguar, a sentiment I'd have to agree with.

7 whole games does not a system make. Good point about it in comparison with the JagCD, though. Atari should have made the Jag a CD system from the beginning, but that's another debate for another time...

The 32X doesn't even belong in the same discussion with the Jaguar, though. I'm sure it's possible to find good games for every system ever released, but the 32X was an overpriced and underpowered hack that wasn't even a stand-alone system. And don't even get me started on the LaserActive. :)

Besides, the whole point of what he listed is that all of those as stand-alone systems had less to offer someone than the Jaguar, and I'd have to agree.

:D You pretty much summed it up!

Unlike the Jaguar CD with it's 4 out 14 good games. Hell even the 32X is a good system but on par with the Jaguar if

you ask me and in no way better.

In terms of what? Game library? Hardly! Power? Come now. Its got barely half the bus rate of the Jaguar

for one. The cluster f#$k connection of the 32x makes the 'toilet' combo of the Jag and JagCD look like a

throne in comparison.

I also think the Laser Active while not anything to brag about alone with teh PC

Engnie add-ons for Hu cards and CD-ROM's with the Sega CD add-on makes it

an awesome system due to it's multiuse. Besides laser disc rock!!

Obviously you like those types of games and that's cool, but they hardly require much

in the way of processing power. Most FMV games bore me. I for one was never a big

fan of Space Ace or Dragon Slayer. They were fun, I'll admit but once its done, its done.

BTW, the Jaguar can out FMV all of those systems before it. They probably should have

had a few more such titles for that but as Sauron said, that would have been better if

they had the CD with the Jaguar from the begining. Not to mention the profit of of disc

games would have been much higher.

Edited by Gorf

I have them all and the Jag is an average system at best but my opinion, and as for the32X I was simply trying to state at least it had a library of games as the Jag CD's 14 simply doesn't cut it. I mean it has like three exclusives the rest can be found a dime a dozen on the Jag CD or another platform, I mean Dragon's Lair and Space Ace can't even be considered. Primal Rage is better on just about any console.I have Iron Soldier 2 in a cart format also, there is no real need for a Jag CD ever. As a matter of a fact if it wasn't due to the homebrew scene it would become total vaporware in a few years.I play your Gorf more than any other game and I thank you for that as I would probally never use it unless I was showing my retro collection. I just think Atari went half hearted into this console and should have backed it more, I love my jag and would never part ways due to the personal value and the nostalgia of my childhood spent gaming on this system. It is just said the Jag was never tapped fully and now devs are making better games that look 500% better to a severly smaller crowd.

I was simply trying to state at least it had a library of games as the Jag CD's 14 simply doesn't cut it.

I thought we were discussing the Jaguar as a whole, not just the Jag CD? Just looking at the Jag CD itself, I'd agree it doesn't stack up well to anything on its own. However, the Jag on the whole with or without the CD add-on has a lot more to offer than, say, the 32X.

I think the controllers are hard to handle.

From someone who lists the 5200 as their favorite console, well...I don't think I even need to state the humor in this. :D

The Jag controllers are COMFY!

I'm only 5'7...I enjoy the Jag controllers AND the Xbox Duke...yet I find the S-controller for Xbox uncomfortable. My friends who are taller than me and have bigger hands feel vice versa.

Back to Jag...I think people complain about the Jag controllers to be in the "in crowd", just like alot of other things. People are afraid someone might not like their opinion so to be cool or whatever they "join the club" sorta speak.

Look at the thing...the sides are in my opinion "grips" (look at the back to see what I mean). The Jag controller has "grips" for you to hold on to while playing...this controller is just great! "But what about the keypad?" What about it? It has its uses and it doesn't bother me one bit.

NES controller was comfortable when I was younger now it's hell on hands. Oh well, we enjoy it and that's what matters. Now if I could only get a Pro-Controller...

I think it started becuase when the Jag came out, all other systems had small controller like the NES/SNES, Genesis, 3DO, etc. and people where used to those sizes and not used to a large gamepad like the Jag's. But then all the systems that came out after the Jag, except for the Saturn had controllers approximately the same size as the jag's, just without the keypad in the center; everyone copied the Jaguar controller! Even the later released Saturn analog controller was as large as the Jag's! Now that people are used to larger controllers, and are just discovering the Jag, those that really try it like it becuase they are used to the larger controllers of the late 90's and today. As usual, Atari hardware was ahead of it's time!

Edited by Gunstar

Well, I've been using a jagpad with my falcon for some time now and I have to say it's not a bad controller. It just isn't good either. Like it was said it needs really big hands and it fills your hand more than it should. Also the response feeling and the overall quality feeling aren't the best. I prefer the psx pad to it.

Well, I've been using a jagpad with my falcon for some time now and I have to say it's not a bad controller. It just isn't good either. Like it was said it needs really big hands and it fills your hand more than it should. Also the response feeling and the overall quality feeling aren't the best. I prefer the psx pad to it.

As far as the "feel" there were a few different versions, one has a stiffer feel and others had a mushy feel. The ones with black keypad buttons was generally stiffer on the D-pad and red buttons and the ones with grey keypad buttons is mushy, so you may want to try getting the one opposite from what you have depending if you like it stiffer or mushier.

• 3 weeks later...
Just another thing... I have also a PS3 here (almost never play games on it) but the PS1, 2 and 3 controllers really suck, those are made for kids hands, not these big hands like mine :P

The very first Analog controllers for the PS were larger and had more contoured grips. As far as feel in the hands, those were much nicer than the later PS1 analogs and PS2/PS3 controllers. These were the original ones, before rumble feature added. I had one of these. The photo compares the original Dual Analog Stick controller with a PS2 controller. As you can imagine, these felt much nicer.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/hard...og-on-shock.jpg

As far as the Jag controller goes, I just have two of the regular controllers. I haven't had the opportunity to play with a Pro controller. But the controller feels fine. D-pad is adequate and no problems with the A,B,C buttons (except that they go from Right to left instead of left to right).

My only real problem is the number pad and having to look down to make sure of which button I'm pressing and the idea of using the overlays (which can get lost).

I also prefer the original larger Xbox controllers over the later smaller ones, though even the smaller Xbox controllers (S-type?) are still better than the PS1,2&3 and Gamecube controllers which are all far too small for my hands to like. Remember, these controllers were designed by Japanese for Japanese and they are a small people, for the most part (excepting sumo wrestlers, etc.). That's why us larger American/Europeans hate them for the most part; they weren't designed for our larger hands! Anyone who complains about large Jag controllers must have small hands.

I also prefer the original larger Xbox controllers over the later smaller ones, though even the smaller Xbox controllers (S-type?) are still better than the PS1,2&3 and Gamecube controllers which are all far too small for my hands to like. Remember, these controllers were designed by Japanese for Japanese and they are a small people, for the most part (excepting sumo wrestlers, etc.). That's why us larger American/Europeans hate them for the most part; they weren't designed for our larger hands! Anyone who complains about large Jag controllers must have small hands.

I don't think I have large hands, and I still prefer the original larger xbox controller too. Just so much more comfortable, thumbs line up with the buttons correctly, etc..

Gamecube, PS1/PS2, Xbox S Controller, 360 (is it me or is the 360 wireless even freaking smaller then an regular S Controller?) all need to be stuffed up their respective designers rearends, side ways!

As for the Jag...not my favorite, and here is why....

1: The rounded bits on the back side that you are supposed to grip are too small & flat. My finger tips end up pressing against the flat part on the back of the controller and the insides of my fingers along their length end up not touching anything. Just my fingertips and palms are holding it.

2: The placement of the C-B-A buttons (and why the hell do they have backwards anyways?). The A button is perfectly under the end of your thumb, but the C & B buttons don't follow a natural curve of movement of the thumb, and by the time you're over the C button, it's under your thumb joint.

Grrrrrrr.

And??? Is it better then the original Jaguarcontroller?

Please share your thoughts.

OK. I tested it on Painter game and here is my resume: it's just a semi-professional product, definitely it's not beter than original controller. Two main plastic parts do not fit very well in some areas and ergonomics is very problematic in my option as the bottom of the controller is almost flat. Yes, one can access A, B, C buttons a little bit easier than on original Jaguar controller (probably the only real plus of Boomerang) and a small stick can be pluged into D-pad (good idea!) but PAUSE and OPTION buttons are pretty difficult to press as they are too small and too low. The worst part of Boomerang controller is D-pad, in my opinion. Its sensibility is not very good and it must be pressed with too much power. Numpad is missing completely. It's rare but I would say it doesn't worth buying.

F.

post-5049-1219945532_thumb.jpg

post-5049-1219945542_thumb.jpg

• Like 1