IGNORED

High Score Cart Values

The discussion about High Score Cart game values in the 'Space Invaders 7800' thread prompted this thread. I thought we could have one place where we could put all of the High Score Cart game values. I'll post what I have:

Original Releases:

• Asteroids - $49,$6C
  • Desert Falcon proto - $00,$00
  • Dig Dug - $41,$42
  • Centipede - $01,$01
  • Food Fight - $23,$23
  • Galaga - $86,$26
  • Joust - $8B,$23
  • Ms. Pac Man - $80,$01
  • Robotron 2084 - $20,$84
  • Xevious - $8A,$0F

My Hacks / Homebrews:

• Armor Attack II - $0A,$03
  • Asteroids Deluxe - $49,$6D (Hidden Asteroids codes are $49,$6E)
  • Astro Blaster - $0A,$04
  • Astro Fighter - $0A,$09
  • Crazy Brix - $0A,$01
  • Crazy Otto - $80,$08
  • Defender - $19,$61
  • FailSafe - $09,$00
  • Frenzy / Berzerk - $0A,$0A
  • Galaxian - $19,$71
  • Jr. Pac-Man - $80,$03 ... Jr. Pac-Man Plus (hidden game) uses $80,$04
  • Meteor Shower - $0A,$02
  • Moon Cresta - $0A,$05
  • Ms. Pac-Man Twin - $80,$05
  • Pac-Man Collection (includes separate HSC codes for each variation of Pac-Man) - Range: $8X,$01 - $AX,$01 Legend: $8x = Standard Speed, $9x = Fast Speed, $Ax = Button Speed), and the first three bits of the second nibble are the game type, and the last bit is 'Plus Mode'. Looks like I use the same code for Ms. Pac-Man as the Atari Version. Damn http://www.atariage.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/atariage/icon_sad.gif - OLD VERSION with TIA Sounds only
  • Pac-Man Collection - Version 2 (including additional mazes and Pokey Sounds): $8X,$0F
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary - $80,$0C
  • Rip-Off - $0A,$06
  • Scramble - $0A,$07
  • Space Duel - $49,$6F
  • Space Invaders - $19,$80
  • Super Circus AtariAge - $0A,$00
  • Super Cobra (Hack of Scramble) - $0A,$08
  • Super Pac-Man - $80,$02
  • UniWar S - $19,$81

Excellent Homebrews and hacks by other authors:

• 1942 - $19,$42
  • 2048 - $20,$48
  • 7iX - $71,$CC
  • A.R.T.I. - $19,$84
  • BeefDrop - $22,$DC
  • Bernie & the Cubic Conundrum  - $19,$86
  • Blockem Sockem 7800 $19,$78
  • BonQ - $22,$DD
  • Cartesian Chaos - $42,$73
  • Donkey Kong Remix - $20,$15
  • Donkey Kong XM - $03,$92
  • Draker Quest II - $16,$75
  • Dragon's Cache - $12,$48
  • Dragon's Descent - $12,$47
  • Dragon's Havoc - $12,$49
  • Dungeon Stalker - $11,$33
  • EXO - $19,$75
  • Froggie - $10,$01
  • Frogus - $19,$83
  • Harpy's Curse - $12,$50
  • ICT3 - $CD,$03
  • Keystone Kapers - $19,$77
  • Millie and Molly - $64,$01
  • Monster Maze - $4D,$4D
  • MouseLine - $19,$79
  • Pengo - $19,$74
  • Plink - $28,$21
  • Plumb Luck DX - $28,$22
  • Popeye - $19,$70
  • RatTrap/MouseTrap - $19,$76
  • Salvo - $20,$85
  • Serpentine - $20,$86
  • Sick Pickles - $19,$82
  • Sky Scraper - $21,$15 
  • Spire of the Ancients - $28,$20
  • Touchdown Challenge - $11,$34
  • Wizard's Dungeon - $57,$44
  • W O R D L E - $64,$02

Anyone who knows some other values or has done homebrews, please add to this thread, and I will update this list.
Thanks!

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Original Releases:

• Asteroids - $49,$6C (Verified)
  • Dig Dug - $41,$42
  • Centipede - Looks Like 01,01 (Verified)
  • Galaga - $86,$26 (Verified)
  • Joust - $8B,$23
  • Ms. Pac Man - $80,$01 (Verified)
  • Xevious - $8A,$0F
  • Food Fight - $23,$23
  • Robotron 2084 - $20,$84
  • Desert Falcon proto - $00,$00

My Hacks / Homebrews:

• Asteroids Deluxe - $49,$6D (Hidden Asteroids codes are $49,$6E) (Verified)
  • Space Duel - $49,$6F (Verified)
  • Pac-Man Collection (includes seperate HSC codes for each variation of Pac-Man) - Range: $8X,$01 - $AX,$01 Legend: $8x = Standard Speed, $9x = Fast Speed, $Ax = Button Speed), and the first three bits of the second nibble are the game type, and the last bit is 'Plus Mode'. Looks like I use the same code for Ms. Pac-Man as the Atari Version. Damn :(
  • Space Invaders - $19,$80 (Verified)

Ms. Pacman Hacks

• Dual Pacman - $8C,$01
    Hangleyman - $86,$01
    Ms Pac Attack - $84,$01
    Ms. Pacman Fast - $85,$01
    Pac Polux - $8E,$01
    Pac-Man - $82,$01
    Pac-Man Plus - $88,$01
    Ultra Pac-man - $8A,$01

Other Homebrew

• BonQ - $22,$DD
    BeefDrop - $22,$DC

Make sure you don't miss the Original Releases that I updated (since it is in quotes).

• 4 weeks later...
Yer welcome!

I suppose. As long as that list of games that support HSC was complete. I tried Froggie and it didn't seem to have any high score support yet.

Froggie - $10,$01

Is that the values you plan on using? Or is there a Froggie file out there that I don't have? :) Could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Yer welcome!

I suppose. As long as that list of games that support HSC was complete. I tried Froggie and it didn't seem to have any high score support yet.

Froggie - $10,$01

Is that the values you plan on using? Or is there a Froggie file out there that I don't have? :) Could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

I already use this values but I don't think I published the HCS Version (really not sure about that)

... waits for HSC version of Froggie to be posted :-D

BTW, with regard to the HSC codes, certain bit valus seem to mean different things.

For example, somewhere in those two bytes there is a setting for if the score should multiplied by 10 (like for Ms. Pac-Man), or left alone (like for Space

Invaders). Don't know which bit(s) flag this. I wonder if there are other bits with specific meanings in those two bytes?

Edited by PacManPlus

BTW, with regard to the HSC codes, certain bit valus seem to mean different things.

For example, somewhere in those two bytes there is a setting for if the score should multiplied by 10 (like for Ms. Pac-Man), or left alone (like for Space

Invaders). Don't know which bit(s) flag this. I wonder if there are other bits with specific meanings in those two bytes?

I don't know much about the high score cart. But if it's just a storage device, and the values are only going to be read by the game which stored them, then each game could use any formatting it chooses. So the format would potentially be different for each game.

The only reason I say this, is because when I used $19, $80 originally for Ms. Pac-Man, the score showed up in the HSC divided by 10 (which is how it's stored in the game). When I went back to $8X, $01 it showed up correctly. So there is something (I believe in the second byte) in the HSC telling it to multiply the score by 10 for certain games.

Oh, I somehow misread what 2 bytes you were referring to, and assumed there were 2 bytes for each score entry. It should have been obvious from the context you were talking about the game ID.

The only reason I say this, is because when I used $19, $80 originally for Ms. Pac-Man, the score showed up in the HSC divided by 10 (which is how it's stored in the game). When I went back to $8X, $01 it showed up correctly. So there is something (I believe in the second byte) in the HSC telling it to multiply the score by 10 for certain games.

That is weird.

If we can fill in a bigger list of what games have their scores multiplied, then the pattern should probably emerge. Either that or the HSC source code. I think it's available, but I'm having trouble finding it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok - I got it.

After some experimenting, I found that bit 7 of the first HSC Identifier byte (in Ms. Pac-Man, the $80) determines if the score should be multiplied by ten or not.

e.g.:

1XXXXXXX = Multiply score by 10
0XXXXXXX = Use score as is

Hope this helps!

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In my development of Donkey Kong XM, I have been playing around with the HSC cart in prosystem under PAL and have learned a few things.

I'll first start with how I got HSC to work with Prosystem. Since prosystem incorrectly treats everything up to $4000 as continuous ram, I simply copied a 2k saved RAM binary to $1000 and copied the HSC ROM to $3000. I did this by assembling my code with the binary data in an unused ROM bank. When the game is being initialized, I switch to that bank and copy the binary data to RAM. It then looks to prosystem like the HSC is present. The only drawback is that I can't easily save the HSC data before exiting Prosystem. I have to use a save state and hex editor to get the HSC data back into a binary file. But for game debugging purposes, this works fine.

Here's what I learned.

1) HSC ram should at a minium be cleared before calling hsettemp. I was having problems with my top and bottom DLI's getting out of sync. I found it was due to garbage data at the end of the HSC DLL that was generating unwanted DLI's. This is also what causes the garbage at the bottom of the screen when using HSC on PAL systems.

2) This may be old news for some, but I only just realized that only the 1st 7 DLL's for the game logo get used. I had a few more, but they would never appear. When the HSC creates the DLL in HSCRAM, it copies the LOGODLL in and then writes it's own DLL starting with number 8.

3) The HSC only creates enough DLL's for NTSC scan lines and they are always in the same location relative to HSCRAM. If HSCRAM=$1800, then the last HSC DLL entry will be at $19e1 or $19d9, depending on which function is running on the HSC. So if you write some dll's pointing to a null dl, starting at $19de, prior to calling the HSC routine, you can fill in the remaining PAL scan lines. I just wrote enough DLL's to reach the end of HSCRAM. This eliminates the garbage at the bottom of the screen using valid DLL/DL's.

So now my PAL HSC seems to be working cleanly without garbage at the bottom of the screen. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...