IGNORED

Colours in NTSC vs. PAL titles

Thorsten Günther

Regarding these different colors, there is an additional issue that needs to be taken into account; namely: Are you comparing completely region-matched setups? Are the videos of an NTSC cartridge in an NTSC console viewed on an NTSC TV, and a PAL cartridge in a PAL console viewed on a PAL TV? Putting a cartridge of one format in a console of the other format* will produce a completely different (wrong) set of colors.

*Owing to rarity and minimal color capability, SECAM is generally ignored in region vs. color discussions. Also, in most instances, mismatching the console and TV will produce no picture at all, or a black-and-white picture, so this sort of combination is not really relevant.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

The color chart on this page shows the differences in palettes. This will give you a rough idea of the affected colors.

I do not believe it's a palette issue, since every VCS title had to be rewritten for each TV system anyway due to the totally timing and palette differences (an NTSC title plugged into a PAL console will give an entirely wrong set of colours). My guess is that the programmer of the PAL version simply omitted/"forgot" to program the colour changes of the sky and landscape.

Thorsten

Just those two titles?

Thorsten

A friend, the Webmaster of this site, had no time to list further games. I will ask him, when it continues.

I found two more titles with colour issues in PAL releases (as Thomas Jentzsch's hack has proven, this is the programmers' fault, not that of the TV system or the console) by browsing AtariMania:

- "Commando Raid" vs. "Landung in der Normandie" (German release)

- "Crash Dive" (at least the colours of the PAL release have a washed-out look in comparison).

Any further additions to this "list" are, to course, welcome.

Thorsten

Thomas,

I would like to know if Commando Raid really has a graphically different horizon than Landung in der Normandie.

I mean not only different colors, but really lacking graphic lines, like Pitfall II and BattleZone.

Same goes for Crash Dive, btw.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I would like to know if Commando Raid really has a graphically different horizon than Landung in der Normandie.

Hm, for me it looks identical, just different colors.

Maybe you just missed the upmost NTSC lines? They are pretty hard to see in z26.

If you change the console format in stella or z26 you'll notice that in doing the NTSC to PAL conversion they actually only adjusted the framerate (by adding scanlines to top and bottom of the screen) and left the palette unchanged.

Screenshots of Commando Raid (NTSC):

87e5cb9146519.gif

1f9b769146520.gif