IGNORED

Wargames 25th Anniversary - One night only - Thursday, July 24th at 7:30PM

I thought you all might be interested in this:

WarGames 25th Anniversary

7/24/2008

Fathom and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios are proud to present WarGames back on the big screen after 25 years. Don't miss this one-night-only event in select movie theatres nationwide on Thursday, July 24th at 7:30PM (local).

The event will include never-before-seen interviews with cast and crew on how the movie was ahead of its time and its relevance today. Additionally, only at this one night event, get a sneak peek at the making of the sequel – WarGames: The Dead Code.

Movie synopsis: Computer hacker David Lightman (Matthew Broderick) can bypass the most advanced security systems, break the most intricate secret codes and master even the most difficult computer games. But when he unwittingly taps into the Defense Department's war computer, he initiates a confrontation of global proportions World War III! Together with his girlfriend (Ally Sheedy) and a wizardly computer genius (Tony Award® winner John Wood), David must race against time to outwit his opponent... and prevent a nuclear Armageddon.

Here's the link for more info:

http://www.fathomevents.com/details.aspx?eventid=724

I already ordered my tickets!

Edited by tremoloman2006

Now for Wargames 2: The Dead Code, ut looks AWFUL:

I for one will NOT ruin my memories of the original and boycatt that piece of crap.

It simply looks like a "modernized" rehash of the original. Disappointing.

Hmmm... Sequel or remake? Looks like the same story with newer computers. How about a TRUE sequel instead of just trying to shoehorn a title onto a separate movie? (Kinda reminds me of what Atari does now living off of it's past name.)

So... What would a true sequel be like? Are Matthew Broderick and Alley Sheedy married? With kids? Where did they go? What do they do?

It'd be fun to make up a story, but I guess it'd be a pointless exercise since it wouldn't get made anyway.

I saw the original in the theater it's opening weekend and would love to see it in a theater again... but after seeing it on TV 20 times in the last year and being an adult now I'm not sure it will have the same appeal.

The new one looks like a remake of the original crossed with 'Enemy of the State' and some 'Hackers' feel thrown in to really annoy us.

<edit>

Oooo... playing at the theater just down the street from where I work. I could go have dinner and a few drinks, then walk across the street to watch the show. The drinks should make it much more appealing! LOL

Edited by JamesD

How about a TRUE sequel instead of just trying to shoehorn a title onto a separate movie?
Great idea. How about...

Terrorists steal the WOPR/Joshua computer from an old military warehouse so they can use it to launch missiles against the U.S.

The terrorists switch on the Joshua computer then realise that nobody knows the password.

Joshua is aware that he is no longer in the U.S and starts to 'phone' other computers that he used to be in contact with back in the 80's. Unfortunatley, none of them can communicate with him because his modem is too slow.

Finally, Joshua calls David (Matthew Broderick's character) thinking he is Professor Falken. David now lives with his wife and children in the house that was previousley owned by his parents (his parents retired to florida :) )

At first, David thinks that the noise coming down the phone line is a fault and hangs up. However, Joshua contines to call all night. David reports the fault to the phone company but the engineer cannot find a problem.

The next day, Davids kids are playing some old games that they downloaded onto their new games console and ask their father what games were like when he was a kid. David tells them about how he played games with other computers by plugging the computer into the phone line.

He starts to think about the strange calls he had been receiving all night and wonders if they were from a computer that was trying to contact his old computer. He fetches his old computer equipment from out of the attic and sets it up.

Later that day he gets a call from Joshua. He connects the phone to the acoustic coupler modem and a familiar message appears on the screen. "Greetings Professor Falken".

Meanwhile, the terrorists notice Davids phone number on the WOPR screen and believe that Joshua has contacted Professor Falken. They trace the number then return to America to kidnap David who they believe is Professor Falken......

Edited by Math You

WOPR wouldn't be compatible with today's launch codes/system and a modern quad core CPU would be faster but other than that I don't see a problem.

Perhaps the WOPR was sold surplus and wasn't completely wiped or it's sold out of a surplus warehouse by mistake. When the buyer discovers this they sell the machine on the black market and it ends up in the hands of terrorists. WOPR uses an older encryption and communications protocol but with some foreign programmers, a few bribes and a secret location where they can tap into the network...

So the terrorists are somewhere in the US trying to tap into the US ballistic missile network and it's only a matter of time before they and their evil 3rd world programmers have Joshua updated and ready to talk to the silos.

Now, Joshua would recognize the futility of launching the missiles but that part of it's memory did get wiped and these guys don't want to play tic-tac-toe.

Still, Joshua figures out something isn't right and tries to contact professor Falken who is now dead.

Or maybe the WOPR on a chip prototype is stolen from a lab. The device now fits in someone's pocket... :P

Edited by JamesD

WOPR wouldn't be compatible with today's launch codes/system and a modern quad core CPU would be faster but other than that I don't see a problem.

WOPR is a creation of science fiction. Even though he was built presumably with 1980s technology, he is a true AI. That was impossible back then and it's impossible now. So I don't see how he would be that obsolete today. He also has multi-monitor color vector graphics support.

Edited by mos6507

WOPR is a creation of science fiction. Even though he was built presumably with 1980s technology, he is a true AI. That was impossible back then and it's impossible now. So I don't see how he would be that obsolete today. He also has multi-monitor color vector graphics support.

Maybe the terrorists just need to find compatible monitors to fire up Joshua. :D

The movie D.A.R.Y.L. would have made for a good sequel, to see where this kid with a computer brain is at a later time of his life. (And I don't mean doing some stupid mundane thing like taking out the garbage, or whatever some of you guys can think of that passes for "humor"!)

Edited by Vic George 2K3

Yeah, only one showing on a Thursday night? I want to see it but I can't make it at that time. Perhaps the limited release was supposed to gauge audience receptiveness to a possible future "anniversary edition" general re-release, but by putting the test showing in that time slot they're trying to deliberately create a failure, in order to kill the project.

Edited by A.J. Franzman