IGNORED

Datamark XG12 Datacorder

machf

Just wondering if this was familiar to anybody elsewhere... it was basically a clone of the Atari XC12. I believe the same company made clones of the Commodore Datasette, too.

I've never seen it mentioned in any A8 FAQ or anything, but they were well known around here... here are a couple scans showing the XC12 and the XG12 next to each other. Except for the logo and labels, they are virtually identical.

post-20130-1215553066_thumb.jpg

post-20130-1215553155_thumb.jpg

Hallo Marco Antonio

As far as I can remember the Datamark recorder was sold (in versions of all kinds of computers??) way before the XC12 appeared. I guess Atari just payed Datamark so Atari could sell an even cheaper datarecorder then they already had. Both the Datamark and the XC12 where sold overhere in the Netherlands. Not sure if there was a Datamark version for the Atari sold under the Datamark name.

Greetings

Mathy

• Like 1

Hi Mathy

Yes, it's a possibility, I remember seeing the Datamark in other guises too. Too bad neither the XC12 nor the XG12 have any production dates on their labels.

There were also some GE cassette recorders with swappable cables for use with different computers, I bought a couple of those cables some years ago when I found them among other stuff a guy was selling downtown. Those only used 4 wires, while the 410 uses 5, and the XC12/XG12 use 6. I don't remember the model number of that one, though, but it was well known back then, I'm sure.

Were they anything to do with Phonemark (I remember having a phonemark clone of a 1010)

Hmmm, maybe they did... a quick search for "Phonemark" led me to this page, the Phonemark model shown there looks a lot like the Datamark and XC12. There's a much better picture here.

Hi Mathy

Yes, it's a possibility, I remember seeing the Datamark in other guises too. Too bad neither the XC12 nor the XG12 have any production dates on their labels.

There were also some GE cassette recorders with swappable cables for use with different computers, I bought a couple of those cables some years ago when I found them among other stuff a guy was selling downtown. Those only used 4 wires, while the 410 uses 5, and the XC12/XG12 use 6. I don't remember the model number of that one, though, but it was well known back then, I'm sure.

I have a GE Compu-Mate for the Atari, The model number is 3-5148A. Nice little recorder, could never test it though since I don't have the cable! Battery operated even, or could use a power supply. Theres a little switch on the bottom, Atari or "All other computers".

Charlie

Were they anything to do with Phonemark (I remember having a phonemark clone of a 1010)

Hmmm, maybe they did... a quick search for "Phonemark" led me to this page, the Phonemark model shown there looks a lot like the Datamark and XC12. There's a much better picture here.

Ah, thanks Machf....That does bring a tear to the eye (and bring back memories)

Your not the same Marco Checa that did all those Card Games for the A8 (I have some in emulator format)

The Phonemark model was pretty common in the UK in the "Dixons Pack" days. I saw them long before the XC12. I remember seeing my friends and thinking I was lucky to have got 1010's in my bundles. I always thought it was pretty poor compared to the 1010 and then the 'new' XC12 came out and guess what ... it's a grey Phonemark with an Atari brand!

I have a couple of XC11s which seem to be a bit rarer than XC12s but never seen a Datamark in the UK.

Look here: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/PM4401A - but in this article is XC12 clone...

I always thought that the Phonemark was around before the XC12. It was out during the XL era in the UK. I thought that the XC11 and XC12 were introduced to complement the XE line. I had always assumed that Atari dropped the XC11 for whatever reason (cost?) and got Phonemark to rebrand their unit as the XC12. I'd agree that it was't a 1010 clone though.

Ah, thanks Machf....That does bring a tear to the eye (and bring back memories)

Your not the same Marco Checa that did all those Card Games for the A8 (I have some in emulator format)

Sure. I have another card game that I didn't finish, I think. And an unfinished roulette game I abandoned when I found one that looked almost 100% as what I was attempting to do... and the ideas for several other card games. Reading about the Retro Challenge the other day, I've been thinking of completing the unfinished one and maybe a couple more.

BTW, there's one Crazy Eights game (Ochos Locos) which I didn't really create, it's just a fixed version of one published in Antic (I don't remember now what I had to fix, only that back then I experienced some sort of errors with the program typed from the original listing). The description I included when I first uploaded it to the UMich archives back then explained that, but lately I've seen it elsewhere without that description - I don't want anybody to think I'm trying to steal the credit for that one.

• 13 years later...
On 7/9/2008 at 4:17 AM, machf said:

Well, this is what they look like. I only bought them for the SIO connectors, if you want, maybe I could send them to you in exchange for a regular SIO cable, or just SIO connectors (from a broken cable).

post-20130-1215569748_thumb.jpg

Hi, i have an urgent question... do you can send the pin out of the ifm 2 sio cable?

that would be awesome. i got a recorder and interface, but no cable....

thanks in advance

--

Please forgive if this is a double posting, not sure.... i was notlogged in.

-----

Yes, XC12 was a rebranded Phonemark product . Many PCBs in Atari XC12 are marked PM4401A, what a surprise. These cheap beasts turned out to be quite durable. Biggest flaws? Poor cassette door causing trouble with azimuth (Not too much of a concern for standard records, more trouble with turbo. Typical solution was to remove the door.) and flywheel too lightweight resulting in considerable wow and flutter. Both fixed with the XL12 model.

Edited by baktra

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, Kalle Rakete said:

Hi, i have an urgent question... do you can send the pin out of the ifm 2 sio cable?

that would be awesome. i got a recorder and interface, but no cable....

thanks in advance

--

Please forgive if this is a double posting, not sure.... i was notlogged in.

-----

Oh, boy... it's been quite a while, and only by chance I arrived back at this forum today and managed to remember my password. I think those cables are lying inside a box upstairs. Since it's almost 2am now, I'll try to look for them tomorrow. But I think I took out the SIO connectors... so even though I could look at the pins at the other end, trying to find out again which pins they matched on the SIO end will be a guessing game.

What do you know... they weren't upstairs in a box, they've been all this time lying atop a cupboard right next to my desk, here in this room, collecting dust all these years. Give me a few minutes to clean them and get the multimeter to figure out the pinout. Yes, it turns out I did NOT remove the SIO connectors, after all...

EDIT: OK, here is your pinout.

SIO	IFM
1	n/c
2	n/c
3	n/c
4	n/c
5	n/c
6	2
7	n/c
8	n/c
9	4
10	1
11	5
12	n/c
13	n/c

Atari SIO to GE IFM

I'm assuming the numbering on the IFM connector goes 1-8 from left to right when viewed with the lettering on top.

Hope that helps.

Edited by machf
  • Like 1