IGNORED

This just might be the most significant event in classic gaming history...

the more I think of it, the more I like this idea. The big developers could spare 4-5 guys as a part time side project and easily grab some extra revenue. Does anybody really doubt that megaman 9 will make a profit? How much could it possibly cost to make?

I like the idea too. Younger kids may not like the graphics but I think they'll find a large audience of customers who grew up with older systems. I believe Capcom is also doing a remake of Bionic Commando, so they're showing a pattern of interest in their old games.

If Konami did a new Contra, it's hard not to see them making plenty of money on it.

Sega could make a new Golden Axe.

I'd love to see this catch on, but like you said I want physical discs. They wouldn't need to require the latest systems either - just take advantage of downward compatibility. Not sure how XBox/360 works, but they could certainly have a single disc for PS2/PS3(/PS1?) and another for Gamecube/Wii. The latter would be my preference for the D-Pad.

While selling these games on Live, etc. I don't see why they couldn't also let you order a physical disc, if not actually shipping them to stores.

But I'd be surprised if much of the tools/code required to make new versions of our favorites weren't lost.

I doubt it's doing emulation, so I don't think the old code would be useful. I don't think the old NES development tools would be worth much either. Maybe they'd want a reference for graphics and sound, but a summary of the old hardware specs and comparison with old games ought to be enough.

Super Mario Bros. 4 on the NES please!!! ;) Maybe also Duck Hunt 2, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!! 2 etc. :P

Super Mario Bros. 4 has been out a long time. Japanese gamers got Super Mario World: Super Mario Bros. 4 with their new SNES consoles, back in 1990. (That was the original title, I think.)

As far as Mega Man 9 goes, however, I think the reason they wouldn't release it on a physical disc, may be because they want to increase sales of the game, and turn a higher profit. Direct downloads can't be traded or swapped -- they're locked to the console on which they are purchased. Anyone who wants to play the game would have to download it themself, as opposed to borrowing the disc from a friend. As much as I'd like a tangible object for the game to be stored on (which can be played on any console, unlike a direct download), it costs a lot of money to manufacture software on physical media, and the cost gets passed on to the buyer. Releasing a game that's designed to look "8-bit" in the 7th generation of gaming consoles is a big risk, as it may only appeal to a niche market (younger gamers would probably be turned off by anything without over-the-top 3D graphics, etc.)

It'd be a whole 'nuther thing if they were continuing the series with graphics that took advantage of the available technology, kind of like Contra 4. (Think you're the master of 2D platform action? Not anymore, you're not.) But someone who cut their teeth on Playstation might not appreciate Mega Man 9 enough to buy it.

Besides, if anything ever happens to your Wii/PS3/360, I think they would provide a way for you to re-download the game at no additional charge. (I know they do that with WiiWare/Virtual Console, as your purchases are linked to your MyNintendo account --not sure about the other two.)

Unfortunately, MM9 (along with other direct-download exclusives) will probably be DRM'ed out the wazoo, so we can't reverse-engineer it and see exactly how it works... :( our only hope is that the program code gets "leaked" somewhere.

Edited by DrLove0378