IGNORED

looking for help with AdamX (xbox) emu. No Xbox needed.

I am currently working on the AdamX emulator for the Xbox. Since I'm only partially familar with the Colecovision, much less the Adam I'm looking for some help. No xbox required, just a good healthy dose of Colecovision knowlege. So feel free to participate.

At this point I'm considering not even doing a beta but I suppose if my arm could be twisted enough I could go that route. ;) :P

Here is my current working plan.. Be sure to read my 2nd msg.. I like to split the stuff up in case it gets too large.

*** Questions that need answering ***

Is there any purpose to the -diskspeed and -tapespeed parameters?

Should I allow the user to enable overscan colors? (After all the Xbox is normally displayed on a TV set).

The emulator defaults to a reverb level of 7. Does a colecovision really sound like this?

Soundquality currently defaults to 3. I should be able to easily bump this up to 5. Is the sound really that much better at 5?

*** Games that use special controllers (and notes) ***

Driving Controller

Dukes Of Hazzard, Turbo, Bump 'n Jump, Pitstop

Roller Controller

Slither, Victory

Super Action Controller

Front Line (Speed roller not used), Rocky (speed roller not used),

Baseball , Football, Soccer (unsure)

Driving Controller (Optional)

Fall Guy (Prototype?)

Super Action Controller (Optional)

Spy Hunter, Star Trek

*** Changes To Adamx Core ***

Reverb Level turned off. I didn't like it anyways. :P

Soundquality changed to 5. Not sure but the volume levels seem to be finer.

Added support for Driving Controller. Turbo fans rejoice! Bump 'n Jump and Pitstop can use it as well. Dukes Of Hazzards works now although the driving controls are a little weird.

Added support for Roller Controller. Slither and Victory now playable.

Added support for speed roller on the "Super Action Controller". Super Baseball now playable. Have not tried Football or Soccer.

Added option to limit sprites to four per row.

Change Disk function now works properly!

Added toggle sound channel 1-4 on/off function as definable to joypad.

Added Colecovision Overlays (Like I did with atari800xl). Finally!

Squish 'em Sam fan's rejoice! Same can now speak. Be sure to pick the Meka sound engine for both Squish 'em Same and Sewer Sam.

Use the MESS voice for the homebrew "Monster Mash". Other than that, it's pretty useless (way too loud).

*** Interface Related Changes ***

* Movies! The ability to display movie previews!

You can set the movie/previews directory in the "Change Default Directories" section. The default location is standard x-port emu format "E:\MOVIES\EMU_NAME".

The movie name has to be exactly the same as the ROM name. Only one movie per game. :P

* Display order can be set to. None, Screenshots Only, Movies Only, Screenshots 1st- Then Movies, Movies 1st- Then Screenshots.

* Sound for movies can be turned on/off

* Box/Cart art can be displayed in seperate window. Box/Cart art is autodetected based on size.

* Movies display over screenshots so if you want you only see screenshots when no movie exists.

* Can now stream videos and screenshots from Samba or Relax.

* Screenshots are now sorted and displayed in proper order.

* Screenshots/Box/Cart art can be named anything (as long as it has .png extension)

* In Game Options Screen can be sized and positioned now.

* New option to "Force Game Screen Size/Position". There are two configurable screensizes. (To deal with multi-core systems like MekaX and XboyAdvance). This will be useful when switching from HDTV to SDTV or vice versa. It will save the user the trouble of resizing the screens for something that is likely temporary.

* Numerous changes to menu system see above (current menu configuration layout)

* Sprites can now be named for easier manipulation. Directory names must be of the format "0_spritename", "1_spritename", etc. Do not use underscores for the spritename. It is a delimiter.

* Added "Select Skin Configuration Used" and "Save Skin Configuration as" to the "Configure SKin" menu in place of the above moved options. This allows multiple skin configurations in one skin allowing the user more "pre-defined" options on how a skin looks. For example the placement of the games list and the preview screens. Gilou's Dynamic skins really take advantage of this, check 'em out!

* Sprites now show when sizing the preview screens.

* Changed "Seconds before auto-advancing Screenshot" to "Seconds Before Auto-Advancing Artwork".

* Changed "offset X" and "offset Y" to "Offset X (left/right)" and "Offset Y (up/down)" in the Sprite Settings menu.

New Option to pause or not pause emulation when keyboard or keypad is up.

**** Carryovers from Atarixlbox ****

- Ability to pick a file from within a zip file. Turns out this functionality was already in commonfuncs as a conditional compile.

- Recording time doubled.

- Fixed a few interface "quirks" regarding playing game sounds while emu is paused.

- select save state screen tells you whether your "loading" or "saving", it also now displays whether a save file has a record session ( R ) associated with it.

- When a new save state is created it deletes any recordings. If you press the "back" button while in the save state select screen it will allow you to delete that save state (as well as it's recording).

- Utilities menu display modifed to state "stop or start recording/playback" depending on whether they are turned on or off. It also displays total minutes remaining or played so far.

- Record/Playback turn off when exiting a game. Boy that sure caused some confusion.

- Switched positioning control of sprites in the skin menu to the left analog stick, that way you don't have to worry about unintentionally lowering the volume.

- Savestate load screen is a little more informational when sent to it from the save/record option.

- When you save a picture it removes the screenshot save path making it easier to see long names.

- Changed order of some of the entries in the "Music Control Menu".

- Playlist repeat mode, and View Name setting is saved in INI file. Although song name only shows in the music control menu.

- (cheat codes)When "adding a code" from the "edit code" screen the current code is copied as a template. You can activate/deactivate a code from the "cheat code list" menu by pressing start.

- Deleting a cheat code now asks you if you are sure (I got tired of accidently deleting my codes ).

- Fixed up the problem created from using multiple files in a Zip file.

- Fixed problem when a filename inside a zip contains too many characters. While I was at it I fixed the space as the last character when trimming to 42 characters behavior. Zip files where the path was saved now unzip correctly.

- Rewind and Fastforward are de-activated during record/playback and netplay mode. It even tells you so when you try!!

- Modified YesNoMenu so it doesn't clear m_menuText.

- Added ability to add in cheat codes from a Gameshark compatible database (see description below). This includes the ability to export the cheat codes in a game to "share" with your friends. Cheat/rumble codes are included for most games. When "adding" codes from the gameshark DB it will move you to the entries with a matching CRC. If not you'll have to manually find the game (sorry, only one CRC per game).

Edited by Shannon

**** Know Issues ****

None that I know of that wont be fixed by the "todo list".

*** ToDo List ***

- Possibly add Fast Loading BIOS?

- I was thinking of adding a seperate variable for "rewind speed". It is currently shared with the fast forward speed but although 4 is a good fast forward speed in AdamX, it is way to fast for rewind.

* Setup autoconfiguration system

*** Wish List ***

* Money, and lots of it!! :P

Edited by Shannon

Here are games that I managed to find Overlays for. Not sure if there are others/more.

2010 - The Graphic Action Game

2010-A

Aquattack

Cabbage Patch Kids - Picture Show

Dam Busters, The

Dr. Seuss's Fix-Up The Mix-Up Puzzler

Facemaker

Fortune Builder

Frontline

Gateway to Apshai

Ken Uston Blackjack-Poker

Miner 2049er

Mousetrap

Quest for Quintana Roo

Rocky Super-Action Boxing

Smurf Paint 'n Play Workshop

Spy Hunter-A Spy Hunter-B

Star Trek - Strategic Operations Simulator

Super Action Football

Super Action Soccer

Super-Action Baseball

War Games

War Room

Edited by Shannon

Well I just got my CV and the Atarimax cart, but I dont know enough about the system to be of any help.

I would like to get the updates though :D

Some sort of quick play mode would be cool ie some way of starting a game without having to select the keyboard etc

Edited by mimo

Well the way it is set up right now the keypad buttons are mapped to the xbox gamepad. For example 1,2 are mapped to start and back. I remapped them from the defaults though to better accomodate typical use.

Same as I mapped them for the 5200 in atarixlbox (right analog stick for 1-4, left-trig plus right analog for 5-8). 9 and 0 mapped to left-trig plus X or Y ( X & Y are mapped to the 3rd and 4th button). White and black are mapped to # and *.

I'll be posting a list of the mappings like I did in the atarixlbox thread. Just have not gotten around to it. I'm keeping the left analog stick free for steering wheel/roller controller useage.

Well here is an update for anyone who happens to be watching. Doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the Colecovision. :lol:

Reverb Level turned off. I didn't like it anyways. :P

Soundquality changed to 5. Not sure but the volume levels seem to be finer.

Added support for Driving Controller. Turbo fans rejoice! Bump 'n Jump and Pitstop can use it as well. Dukes Of Hazzards works now although the driving controls are a little weird.

Added support for Roller Controller. Slither and Victory now playable.

Added support for speed roller on the "Super Action Controller". Super Baseball now playable. Have not tried Football or Soccer.

Updated my controller list since for the most part it was "incorrect".

There seem to be two different types of colecovision Overlays. Normal and ones that fit the Super Action Controller.

Best I can tell the driving controllers pedal acts like a button (on/off) and has no variance (so to speak). I have one but my colecovision is so flakey I'm not sure if it is worth the time to get it out. :lol: Besides the emu pretty much treats it that way so there is not a whole lot I can do.

Getting the expansion modules going was a bit of work. The code was surprisingly "neutered" by x-port. I think he tried to get them going but never quite succeeded. So it took a bit of "tinkering around" for me to sift thru it and determine the "effects" of the recoding. :lol:

Edited by Shannon

Just a quick note since I'm pretty much ready to pass out.

I managed to get video preview going. So all Xbox users can look forward to have movie previews in future x-port emu's. It is pretty much based off of the SDK code use and changed by Nes6502 for his latest release of Zsnes.

More details later.

ok guys. Here is an update. This week was supposed to be overlay week but you'all got lucky and I was able to get video previews going. Give all thanks to Nes6502 since I pretty much borrowed his modified SDK xmv playback code and changed it to work with x-port emu's.

Because of this, though. I had to make numerous changes to the x-port interface. Here is what they were.

Created a new configuration menu called "Screenshot/Movie Preview Configuration". It now contains the new Movie Preview settings as well as all the screenshot related settings that USED to be in "General Settings".

The "Screenshot/Movie Preview Configuration" is as follows.

• Show Screenshots? No, Screenshots Only, Movies Only, Screenshots 1st- Then Movies, Movies 1st- Then Screenshots.
  • Play Sound From Movie? Yes, No
  • Seconds before auto-advancing screenshot -
  • Auto-Screenshot Capture Delay -
  • Show Screenshots While Scrolling? Yes, No

These were removed from the "General Settings Menu" and I shuffled around the "General Settings Menu" to better balance things.

You can set the movie/previews directory in the "Change Default Directories" section. The default location is standard x-port emu format "E:\MOVIES\EMU_NAME".

The movie name has to be exactly the same as the ROM name. Only one movie per game. :P

All settings are saved in the emu_name.ini file.

I hope you all enjoy!

Edited by Shannon

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention that I added this feature...

Added option to limit sprites to four per row.

It's actually been in there from the beginning, just slipped my mind.

I also got keypad overlays partially implemented (default overlay only). I just need to modify it to handle normal and super action controller overlays since they are both different.

The biggest issue with this is not all games register the press (since it only lasts one frame). So I'm getting around this by adding a (pause game when keypad is up) option. So on games that do not register the press just disable the pause and then the keypad presses will work. Of course there is always the option to stick to using controller buttons remapped to the keypad.

This feature will eventually carry over into Atarixlbox whenever I get around to updating it.

Just a minor update. I'm still working on the keypad stuff. Because I added the option to pause or not pause the emu when the keypad is up. I had to split up the keypad routine the same way the current keyboard routines are (seperate routines for rendering and handling). I'm toying with the idea of making the pause/unpaused setting work for the keyboard as well (something for the future).

This is no biggie because it will just make the keypad functions more accessible to other emu's that may need it. As far as I know only atarixlbox, adamx, z26x, and blissx use overlays. All of them are on my "todo list". :lol:

It's a bit tricky but I think I came up with a way to have a key held for "x" number of frames (definable by the user). This may end up coming in handy later with other emu's anyways.

For anyone who happens to care it turns out the driving wheel pedal is just an on/off toggle switch. At least according to the comments in the mess source code.

I took a crack at getting sewer sam voice working with no success. Not really sure which "voice" it uses. I was guessing the noise channel which I tried fooling with to no luck.

Edited by Shannon

Well once again I got distracted from working on the overlays. In my quest to find a way to create Coleco video game music (which I have found btw) I discovered a sound engine that looks like it could be ported into Adamx. :lol: Well that and reading .atx disks in atarixlbox.

Why do that? Why Interphase voice (Squish 'em Sam) of course! The Adamx sound engine is pretty modular and the one I found is close enough. Turns out I'll probably have to "wedge" it in to get it to work properly. But I'm more concerned about making sure it'll work like I want it to than rewriting the whole thing. :o

Anyways if the stars happen to align correctly then maybe it'll work. :P

Edited by Shannon

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I updated. Been distracted by Unreal Tourney 3, Rock Band 2, Mario Kart Wii, real life, vacations, tinkering with 3 diff sound engines in AdamX.

Anyways after wasting a bunch of time farting around trying to figure out why the sound engines would get scratchy from time to time I managed to get the issues straightened out. There are currently 3 sound engines. AdamX, Meka, and Mess (an offshoot of Meka I believe).

The Mess engine does voice ("sam" games) the best but for the most part distorts the sound in other games.

Meka is by far the best but there is the occasional game (Montezuma's Revenge) where it doesn't sound "right".

AdamX is the original and although it does not sound as nice as the meka engine it does have it's purposes.

At the moment the emu defaults to Meka. The user, of course, can change this on a per game basis.

I also corrected a few errors in the movie/screenshot preview system that I overlooked. These will carry over to the Mednafen-NES emu which I released earlier with movie previews and these little bugs.

The big item on the list right now is Dual Previews. Thanks to Giles9999 creating a skin for such purposes I will be working on that. I'm not gonna say much more since we have not finalized how the dual previews will work.

Other thing in the works is finding a way for the user to be able to switch resolutions without having to re-adjust the screen all the time. I tried a couple things but I'm leaning toward having the emu auto "size" the screen since this option seems the least problematic. This is handy if you switch between a standard TV and HDTV from time to time. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd like to mention this is the best Coleco emulator I've tried other then the PC Adamem. (I've tried about 8 different emu's if you want to know) But there's one bug you might want to be notified of. In Rocky, as soon as you start both boxers stamina goes to zero after about 1 second. If it wasn't for that I would say it's as good as the PC version.

Edited by jsthlrd

Well I appreciate the input. Other than improving the sound and making it so games that use special controllers I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything about Rocky.

So the PC version does not have that issue? Might just be a matter of updating the core. I forget which emulator AdamX is based off of. I think it's AdamX... :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's based on Adamem. If you update the core or not, it's still a fantastic emulator that you obviously put a TON of work into. Most of the Coleco emulators I used will NOT run Dragonfire but AdamX runs it perfectly. Even in Adamem, I believe I had to switch it to PAL emulation to get Dragonfire working. Otherwise the guy doesn't jump high enough. Also, most emulators don't support the Super Action controller buttons! MESS has a dip switch for them, but it doesn't work. Apparently there's very little interest in the Colecovision, probably due to the fact that it specialized in arcade games, which of course everybody plays on MAME. All the buttons on AdamX are customizable, where you have to have some knowledge in programming in order to map the controls in Adamem. Anyway, I wanted to make it clear that I'm just reporting a bug, not complaining at all. So thanks a bunch for your hard work! :)

Oh no problem... I really need to get off my butt and release the latest version anyways. Kinda got caught up in all the Dual preview/streaming media/movie preview stuff. But the next version is pretty much done. I just needed to finish going thru the games and adding cheat codes.

• 7 months later...