IGNORED

My "Complete" Lynx Collection

Atari Smeghead

I'd say that any games given some sort of "official" release on cart should count towards a "complete" collection, whereas homebrews that someone dumped onto a cart without making a release available to the general public should not. There's definitely a few of those that have never been given a proper release, and therefore you can't really say any collector who doesn't have them on cart doesn't have a complete collection. Not that it really matters for anything, but still. You just know that someone would come along and say "You don't have XXXXXX on cart, so your collection isn't complete!". Just my thoughts...

Very true. I totally agree! I think you must separate official and unofficial releases, especially when you look at it from a collectors perspective. For example, like EricDeLee already said in a post above, it would be impossible to get all the different versions that different people make of Yastuna II - The Space Incident. Of course I realize that sometimes it could be difficult to draw the line and say if a game is a "official" release or not. We should try to agree on some sort of criterion.

Exactly, some 'complete' collectors go as far as having to have 'the big box' California Games, Gates etc, or the first release of Bubble Trouble in the red fold out box with red instructions, or a curved lip, or ridged lip cartridge. Label variations and whatever. That is going too far, I think.

Edited by Alison DeMeyer

Exactly, some 'complete' collectors go as far as having to have 'the big box' California Games, Gates etc, or the first release of Bubble Trouble in the red fold out box with red instructions, or a curved lip, or ridged lip cartridge. Label variations and whatever. That is going too far, I think.

Actually... I don't think that is going to far. LOL

I think if you are trying to collect for a system, you generally want all of the carts. Same thing for Atari 2600. I don't really see the value in grabbing very MINOR label variations, but major ones I do. I think it is essential to have The Atari Picture version, The Sears Picture, the atari text, that sears text, etc. If a cart is released in two different styles (for example Tapper) I think it is cool to have them both. Remember... it is on the rarity list, it is a different cart. Same game, but different cart. That appeals to some people.

For The Lynx, I think it is the same thing. I'm not a big collector of boxes. But that is just my cup of tea. I can see why it is collectible. But I do think that you need to collect the ridged carts, the flat carts, etc. It does offer a bit of 'excitement' to your collection. So does collecting the EPROM version of games... and whatnot. Take Space Incident for example. I got my 1st one from Chris Vick (I believe it was him). Very solid looking cart. Very professional. I love that thing and thought he did a great job on it. Look at Smeg's collection pictures. That cart BLENDS in with the others because of the label. It practically looks like a release that came from Atari.

Then the Red PCB version came out. I had to get it. It is really cool. IN my checklist I counted it as two games. I think I'm going to make a section on the spreadsheet though for homebrews that have been placed on carts. As I mentioned earlier, I think the 'collection' is the stuff that has been officially released. The homebrews I think are nice to have, but should not be considered a 'must have' in order for the collection to be complete.

Back on track though: nothing wrong with a little ridged, flat, or curved love. I think you NEED those in your collection. Smeg's collection is awesome. He is at a point where he considers it complete. One day, I have a feeling he may grab the ridged, Flat and curved carts. When he does, it will offer a bit of a challenge. I think he'll enjoy that!

And for those looking for the elusive curved gates of Zendocon, I will have two extras coming in the mail. They are tough to find.

Hi Randy, what´s the "Duranik" cart all about?

What´s on the "Lynx demo" cart?

The two Avp carts are they any different from each other?

The Duranik cart is the Alpine Games Bonus multi-cart, which was originally a prize for anyone who got a high score in any of the Alpine Games games, but was later released for purchase. I bought mine at Songbird... which is where I got most of my new, full-priced carts.

The "Lynx Demo" is the Blue Lightning demo, the Epyx version that was discussed earlier in this thread... got it from B&C before he got mad and "parted out" the remaining inventory.

The two AvPs are identical, one from B&C and the other from Super_Tronix, the Polish eBay guy. The only reason I have that copy is that he once had an auction with four titles, and I needed three of them.

Cheers,

Smeg

I dont see the Yastuna 1 and Yastuna 2 titles.

You can get it at Nick Harlows 16/32 Webshop (little advertisement cause i made the box :-D )

Greatings Matthias

Hi Matthias!! Great to see you again!

I do have both versions, but Yastuna 1 (called "Cubes" on my list) is an earlier version I got from BuddyBuddies, which he got from Super_Tronix.

I plan on getting a "proper" version, either from Nick (cuz I would really like the red PCB and the wonderful box and instructions) and/or from Nimtene, who was kind enough to make my copy of Yastuna 2 (on my list as "Space Incident"). I might end up with three copies of it... yikes, look at me go! :roll: :D

Cheers,

Smeg

Hi Randy, what´s the "Duranik" cart all about?

What´s on the "Lynx demo" cart?

The two Avp carts are they any different from each other?

The Duranik cart is the Alpine Games Bonus multi-cart, which was originally a prize for anyone who got a high score in any of the Alpine Games games, but was later released for purchase. I bought mine at Songbird... which is where I got most of my new, full-priced carts.

The "Lynx Demo" is the Blue Lightning demo, the Epyx version that was discussed earlier in this thread... got it from B&C before he got mad and "parted out" the remaining inventory.

The two AvPs are identical, one from B&C and the other from Super_Tronix, the Polish eBay guy. The only reason I have that copy is that he once had an auction with four titles, and I needed three of them.

Cheers,

Smeg

You should trade/sell me that one! LOL I don't have that one yet. Right now I'm trying to find the Daemonsgate rom. I can't seem to locate it and was planning on playing it on my psp.

Missing Tag, Push around the World, BattleSpace, Lynx Sketch and Stardreamer. Do these titles exist on cartridge?

Umm what are these?

If these are small demos from someone's attempt at a Lynx game, I don't think they count.

Lynx Sketch is on MegaPak vol 1 isn't it?

I don't think you can classify small works as releases, or you'll never be able to complete any collection for any system.

:)

Lynx Sketch is on Megapak 1, yes. Neat little thing, that!

I hadn't heard of the other demos until now, but since they aren't on cartridge (AFAIK) I can't buy them.

Basically, if I can purchase a cartridge of any game or demo from someone kind enough to create one, I will. It helps them, and it helps me. I have a good job now, so that's why I'm getting this collection finished while I can afford it.

Cheers,

Smeg

here are some other homebrews

http://pageperso.aol.fr/garinjp3/Homebrew.htm

Greatings Matthias

That is a great website, Matthias! :-o Thanks for sharing that one. It has everything... so many I had never even seen before. Very cool!

Cheers,

Smeg

I'd say that any games given some sort of "official" release on cart should count towards a "complete" collection, whereas homebrews that someone dumped onto a cart without making a release available to the general public should not. There's definitely a few of those that have never been given a proper release, and therefore you can't really say any collector who doesn't have them on cart doesn't have a complete collection. Not that it really matters for anything, but still. You just know that someone would come along and say "You don't have XXXXXX on cart, so your collection isn't complete!". Just my thoughts...

Yes, I would agree with that. Otherwise, if you had to count every, single cartridge ever produced or ever to be produced, the collection could never be complete. Because then, you'd even have to say if I don't have all the protos like Relief Pitcher, the full AvP, EotB, etc, it's not complete.

But still, that is why I put quotes around "complete." Since technically, CGE 5th anniv and PITS were released, so they would be needed to be truly complete.

As stated earlier, I will buy anything new that comes out, not just for the collection but to support anyone who takes the time and effort to create another Lynx game for us to enjoy. But for now, I am about as complete as I can be... anything I get from here will be icing.

So yes, I agree that the titles like Rapid Racer and Dynablaster are not necessary to have a complete collection. Lovely additions, a bit o' bragging rights, sure, but not mandatory.

Cheers,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Very nice collection and cool pics, Atari Smeghead! :)

But what about hardware? Battery Pack, Pouch, Sun visor? The lynx game pins? Lynx brochures? It would be sad if you stoped collecting for the Atari Lynx, now when you consider you collection to be "complete" ;)

:D I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

I also should probably pick up a Lynx I, so that I have both Lynxs. It's always possible I might add more on the hardware side... especially since once a collection is "complete" the fun kinda goes away. (Well, obviously I have the actual playing of the games, which is kinda the whole point, right?) But as it stands now, I don't have as much reason to scour eBay on a daily basis. :roll: So I might end up doing that.

Thanks for adding more time to my colleciton. ;)

Cheers,

Smeg

Back on track though: nothing wrong with a little ridged, flat, or curved love. I think you NEED those in your collection. Smeg's collection is awesome. He is at a point where he considers it complete. One day, I have a feeling he may grab the ridged, Flat and curved carts. When he does, it will offer a bit of a challenge. I think he'll enjoy that!

Heh. Yeah, it might indeed happen. I have to admit feeling the slightest bit of "awww... darn" now that I have "completed" the collection. Eight years.. a lot of time on a collection hobby. You've just created a way to continue collecting.

IIRC, you posted a list here somewhere that shows all the cart variations. I'll have to go find that.

Wow... I just created a lot of posts, huh? Now, it's someone else's turn. :D

Cheers,

Smeg

here are some other homebrews

http://pageperso.aol.fr/garinjp3/Homebrew.htm

Greatings Matthias

That is a great website, Matthias! :-o Thanks for sharing that one. It has everything... so many I had never even seen before. Very cool!

Cheers,

Smeg

This is Rygar (I guess he also use this pseudo here) website, the biggest french Atari Lynx fan.

I do have both versions, but Yastuna 1 (called "Cubes" on my list) is an earlier version I got from BuddyBuddies, which he got from Super_Tronix.

Well, so you are the owner of this one. I'm really sad this version hit the market because it is something like 90% complete. Apart form the english adventure game which was not translated, some minor changes have been done to some games... This is the beta-version I gave to show at the french Atari Show last year when Yastuna 2 was released. But I forgot to remove the link, and a one-shot cartridge has been made... Don't even remember if you have all the hidden games on it...

So yes, I agree that the titles like Rapid Racer and Dynablaster are not necessary to have a complete collection. Lovely additions, a bit o' bragging rights, sure, but not mandatory.

Well, I won't speak about Dynablaster, but I am not sure that Anata gave persmission to put Rapid Racer on cartridge. Unfortunately, we haven't seen him on french forum for a while :( (he also made nice Othello & Tetris versions).

For example, like EricDeLee already said in a post above, it would be impossible to get all the different versions that different people make of Yastuna II - The Space Incident.

:o :o Oh, please do not try :P

Well, I won't speak about Dynablaster, but I am not sure that Anata gave persmission to put Rapid Racer on cartridge. Unfortunately, we haven't seen him on french forum for a while :( (he also made nice Othello & Tetris versions).

I made 1 Rapid Racer Cart for myself on a pretty red PCB. :cool: I don´t sell it. So i think this should be no problem.

Well, so you are the owner of this one. I'm really sad this version hit the market because it is something like 90% complete. Apart form the english adventure game which was not translated, some minor changes have been done to some games... This is the beta-version I gave to show at the french Atari Show last year when Yastuna 2 was released. But I forgot to remove the link, and a one-shot cartridge has been made... Don't even remember if you have all the hidden games on it...

Yes, I have (what I believe to be) the only cartridge copy of the pre-release version. I won't be reselling it, so you won't have to worry about anyone else ending up with this one.

I will definitely be purchasing a copy of the final version of Yastuna 1.

Cheers,

Smeg

Yes, I have (what I believe to be) the only cartridge copy of the pre-release version. I won't be reselling it, so you won't have to worry about anyone else ending up with this one.

Cheers,

Smeg

Here's one on ebay... looks the same. (From the guy in POLAND)

CUBES

Cheers,

Smeg

Here's one on ebay... looks the same. (From the guy in POLAND)

CUBES

The One in Nick Harlows 16/32-Shop is cheeper - i think - and the PCB looks much better.

Digital Press Collectors Guide Advance Editon states that Carl (Songbird) has the protos of Ultra Vortek and Mechtiles. Will we see those on cartridge?

Ultra Vortek is supposed to eventually be completed, I think, although I'm not holding my breath about that. Not sure about Mechtiles.

Not sure about any of those.

I do know I read a small blurb while researching Pinky Mandy about Cyber Virus and the Ultra Vortek.

Cool stuff.

I am interested about that Lode Runner that Smeg has. That version is different than the ROM, I wonder what the differences are. I'll have to order that one after my honey moon. :)

Digital Press Collectors Guide Advance Editon states that Carl (Songbird) has the protos of Ultra Vortek and Mechtiles. Will we see those on cartridge?

Ultra Vortek is supposed to eventually be completed, I think, although I'm not holding my breath about that. Not sure about Mechtiles.

I own full source code, artwork, audio, and rights to Ultra Vortek (now named Ultravore due to a copyright conflict) and Mechtiles. I acquired this at the same time I acquired CyberVirus. I also own a Beyond Game prototype cartridge of CyberVirus, which is quite different from the version I finished and published.

UV has not been worked on in years, but is honestly very close to being complete for a simple fighting game with only 2 characters to choose from. It does support comlynx and several special moves per fighter. It's missing a damage system, and I always wanted to add more fighters but that's a time-consuming process and a big reason why the development stalled. Maybe someday I can get back to it, and just complete it with the existing two characters.

Mechtiles is very incomplete. It looks like the BattleWheels engine, but has a cockpit and some cybernetic dinos to battle. I've considered selling off the Mechtiles source before, but it would take some effort on my part to make it a stand-alone code build (currently it's intertwined with the CyberVirus code), so this has been a low priority item for me.