IGNORED

That God Damn Bagman

cougar302b

Hey Cougar!

Nice to see a forum on Bagman. What a b*tch of a game.. I have beaten it but all it does is repeat the level again, with more bags than before.

I have learned that you can park the wheelbarrow on top of a ladder and the guards will fall when they touch it. I also learned it's not prudent unless you're in an emergency situation to drop the bags while on a long ladder. Also, on the last screen the guards always seem to get off the elevator at the 2nd to top platform. This way you can ride back down if you're on the top floor without getting caught. But watch for the damn mine cart at the bottom that frequently seems to nail you. Also, never move the wheelbarrow too far from the gold bags because if you run out of time, you die.

And try not to abuse the guards too much, as they get insanely fast the more you pick on them. A couple other things: if you don't like where the elevator is positioned (i.e. you want to get on sooner) you can back out of the screen and come back quickly, and it may have repositioned. One last tip: if you die while carrying a gold bag (don't drop it), you don't have to get that bag anymore. If it was the last bag on the level, you start at the next level.

I used to wonder what was up with the weird dialogue, but the original company that licensed Bagman to Stern is French, so that may be French that Bagman is speaking.

Hey Cougar!

Nice to see a forum on Bagman. What a b*tch of a game.. I have beaten it but all it does is repeat the level again, with more bags than before.

I have learned that you can park the wheelbarrow on top of a ladder and the guards will fall when they touch it. I also learned it's not prudent unless you're in an emergency situation to drop the bags while on a long ladder. Also, on the last screen the guards always seem to get off the elevator at the 2nd to top platform. This way you can ride back down if you're on the top floor without getting caught. But watch for the damn mine cart at the bottom that frequently seems to nail you. Also, never move the wheelbarrow too far from the gold bags because if you run out of time, you die.

And try not to abuse the guards too much, as they get insanely fast the more you pick on them. A couple other things: if you don't like where the elevator is positioned (i.e. you want to get on sooner) you can back out of the screen and come back quickly, and it may have repositioned. One last tip: if you die while carrying a gold bag (don't drop it), you don't have to get that bag anymore. If it was the last bag on the level, you start at the next level.

I used to wonder what was up with the weird dialogue, but the original company that licensed Bagman to Stern is French, so that may be French that Bagman is speaking.

Some great tips. I am considering getting an Arcade Legends machine and most of them come with Bagman. I will be trying those tips. By the way, can you beat the 1st level every time? And, have you beat the second level?

Stern. Hands down the producer of the most frustrating games of the early 80's. From their one pixel shots from the enemy that kill you when you could barely see what was coming, i.e. "Rescue" that could have been fun but who could keep track of all the one pixel missile fire from enemies and avoid it all?? Then, well, way before, Berzerk, with the fire button firing in the direction that you last faced, versus where you are now pressing, as well as having to stop moving to fire and having to double and triple tap the joystick in that direction before it f@#$# finally fired a shot...oops too late. Their follow up solution, had you having to once again stop to fire a shot as the walls also closed in, no wonder that failed as well.

Bagman could have been fun, but Stern's greed to have you insert another quarter after another ruined it. Normally games have a test group play the games long before they hit the arcade. Was that skipped with Bagman? No rational human could have been part of a test group that said "Stern, this game is ready for the arcade" It is just to F#$%# impossible. Your character moves soooo slllooow. Double his speed and you might have had a chance of picking up the bags of money, and beating the timer, heaven help you if you shoot one of of your enemies, you might as well just walk away as you have 0.00000% chance of living even a few seconds after shooting at one of them. It is no wonder that Stern sank into bankruptsy. They had some great game ideas but ruined them all with a big rush to have you insert another quarter. The proof of this is the games that still make money; Galaga, Ms. PacMan. You had fun playing them versus wanting to punch your fist through the screen having one eighth of your weekly $3 allowance sucked away by 22 seconds playing Bagman.

The point of all this, Stern could have released a series of fun, fun, fun, games. Instead they decided to make them all impossible and screen punchingly infuriating with the one pixel enemy fire killing you endlessly when you had no idea what had hit you. How fun could Super Cobra have been if you could have seen the enemy fire coming and had a fair chance of moving out of the way? Versus the one pixel shots that had you blow up before you even had the slightest chance to move out of the way.

They had a Bagman machine at MGC but it was modded with a speed button which actually made the game playable (there was also in Invisible button but that didn't seem to do anything). By using the turbo button I was able to beat the first level, but even then it took me a few tries. I almost beat the second level (which appeared to be the same as the first), but died getting the last bag. Even with the turbo button Bagman is a HARD game.

Tempest

They had a Bagman machine at MGC but it was modded with a speed button which actually made the game playable (there was also in Invisible button but that didn't seem to do anything). By using the turbo button I was able to beat the first level, but even then it took me a few tries. I almost beat the second level (which appeared to be the same as the first), but died getting the last bag. Even with the turbo button Bagman is a HARD game.

Tempest

What is MGC? I think with the turbo I might have actually had a prayer in finishing the 1st level. I just wonder if anyone was able to finish the second round? With a turbo it was probably possible.

Tempest

What is MGC? I think with the turbo I might have actually had a prayer in finishing the 1st level. I just wonder if anyone was able to finish the second round? With a turbo it was probably possible.

I came damn close to finishing the second round, but I doubt anything changes.

Tempest

Cougar,

Nope, can't really beat the first level with regularity without cheating on MAME. I can cheat and find out what level 3 looks like but I would imagine it's got even more bags of gold than level 2, and maybe the guards move faster, i.e. nothing especially different. This may actually be a good thing, as more bags means you can have more opportunities to get the time back up, if you get my drift.

3rd level has about the same amount of bags as the last but the cops are now as fast as you (much more so when you carry a bag) and the wheelbarrow is moved to the last screen when you start the level.

Amd if you ever wondered, the score rolls over at one million.

Am I the only one offended by the title of this forum?

Why would you feel it neccessary to use the Lord's name in vain and violate a commandment that is followed and revered by millions of good people (many on these forums I would hope).

Surely there are many ways to express your frustration with a video game without taking the Lords name in vain.

I would ask that we all try and be more sensitive with our language. The fact that I like to play video games is one way that I connect with my children (and others) and gives us something in common. I try to set a good example when around children. I am sure many children and teens use these sites - let's set a good example for them as well.

Thanks

Probably. Take a deep breath and chill.

Why would you feel it neccessary to use the Lord's name in vain and violate a commandment that is followed and revered by millions of good people (many on these forums I would hope).

Surely there are many ways to express your frustration with a video game without taking the Lords name in vain.

I would ask that we all try and be more sensitive with our language. The fact that I like to play video games is one way that I connect with my children (and others) and gives us something in common. I try to set a good example when around children. I am sure many children and teens use these sites - let's set a good example for them as well.

Thanks

You can go and pray for my soul now if it makes you feel better.

Thanks.

Tempest

Thanks

Welcome to the internet - I'd prefer as well not seeing the Lord's name in vain, but you're dealing with a whole cross section of the public here. I equate internet forums, like going to an Eagles game. My kids will have a great time, but they might hear a few choice words that I'd prefer them not to hear. Kind of comes with the territory.

As far as Bagman, I finally completed all three levels using MAME(no cheats!) Can't wait to give the actual machine a go at Fun Spot in a few months..

Thanks

Am I the only one that sees the irony of being preached to by someone with the userid of "Catsmasher?" There might be some animal rights folks around that would be offended by your screen name. I wouldn't want my 7 year old daughter to see your screen name and think its ok to "smash cats."

:roll:

Back on topic, I think the best I've ever done was to get 1 bag away from finishing the first level. I'm going to try the tips suggested above and see if I can finish this "gosh darn" game once and for all.

Gee Willikers and Boy Howdy! :D

Edited by Deteacher

I post a repectful suggestion that forum members consider their language and it is met with instant hostility.

There is no moral equivalence between taking the Lord's name in vain and a tonge-in-cheek username.

I have seen several posts on other threads that use vulgar language of other sorts.

I would be willing to change my username if others would be willing to stop using vulgar and obscene language.

PS I own 3 cats :)

No cats were smashed in the making of my login.

I know this is a public forum, but it is also a bunch of video game nuts _ not a bunch of drunken sports fans. All I ask is that everyone think about cleaning it up a little. Video games are supposed to be fun.

Hey Tempest, I think I see part of the issue when a "moderator" has a hostile reaction to s respectful request to clean up the language then makes a statement demeaning religion. Now that's ironic.

I will pray for you, because prayer changes people. And anyone who likes old videogames can't be all bad..

Thanks

Edited by Catsmasher

I don't see any hostility being aimed toward you. It's all just "tongue and cheek" (just like your screen name.) Besides, did you really think that you could come into the forum as a noob, get all preachy and NOT expect some folks to be a little turned off by it?

I will say that I agree with your thoughts. I do not use profanity, myself. I've made almost 1,200 posts to these forums and you'd be hard pressed to find much, if any, profanity in my posts. However, a couple other things to keep in mind:

1. Maibock hit the nail on the head with his post. I love the Eagles game reference. Would you go to a public sporting event and get on the PA and tell everyone to stop cursing because there might be children around?

2. You're relatively new to this place. Build a reputation at least a little bit before you start preaching to the masses. You'll gain more respect from everyone that way.

I'm not trying to start a big thing here...only offering some advice. Take it or leave it.

Back on topic, I can't wait to get home and play Bagman, now. I might have to make it an HSC game soon. ;) If I do, I expect to see lots of ($#($#_)*%$*#( that week. :D

P.S. Not ALL sports fans are drunks.

P.P.S. Some AA folks will get drunk from time to time. So, if I get drunk and start cursing, would that be acceptible?

Edited by Deteacher

I post a repectful suggestion that forum members consider their language and it is met with instant hostility.

Maybe because your post came off as sounding like a mother scolding her children. Adults don't like to dictated to like they're children. Remember, not everyone shares your views.

I have seen several posts on other threads that use vulgar language of other sorts.

I would be willing to change my username if others would be willing to stop using vulgar and obscene language.

This is an adult board full of adults. If you can't handle a little 'rough language' then I fear you're not going to be happy here. While we don't condone dropping F-Bombs or repeated use of the S-word (no not Sega!), it happens. Keep in mind that God Damn isn't considered vulgar to many people, in fact it's almost common speech. You're going to have to deal with it.

I know this is a public forum, but it is also a bunch of video game nuts _ not a bunch of drunken sports fans.

Actually it a little of both.

All I ask is that everyone think about cleaning it up a little.

You can ask, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Video games are supposed to be fun.

Agreed, but I don't see what that has to do with the topic of swearing.

Hey Tempest, I think I see part of the issue when a "moderator" has a hostile reaction to s respectful request to clean up the language then makes a statement demeaning religion. Now that's ironic.

Hostile? You consider someone telling you to chill out hostile? How do you live in the modern world?

Demaning religion? I don't recall doing that, if anything I encouraged religion by suggesting you could pray for me. Also, I fail to see how that would be considered 'ironic'. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I will pray for you

It burns! It burns! Make it stop! Make it stop!

Feel free to pray for me all you want, but this has nothing to do with religion (I'm already saved, but thanks anway). This has to do with a preachy comment made by an overly sensitive poster and the fallout thereof. Nothing more.

Tempest

Thanks

Welcome to the internet - I'd prefer as well not seeing the Lord's name in vain, but you're dealing with a whole cross section of the public here. I equate internet forums, like going to an Eagles game. My kids will have a great time, but they might hear a few choice words that I'd prefer them not to hear. Kind of comes with the territory.

As far as Bagman, I finally completed all three levels using MAME(no cheats!) Can't wait to give the actual machine a go at Fun Spot in a few months..

Great job on finishing the 3 levels. Does the game end at that point? Or just get harder?

Thanks

Great job on finishing the 3 levels. Does the game end at that point? Or just get harder?

There's a little treat for you after completing all three :)

then it gets a bit faster(harder)

For someone to say they are saved, but then to trivialize prayer (it burns!?) and claim that taking the Lord's name in vain is "almost common speech" and we have to "deal with it", that IS ironic. It is also troubling.

I will pray that much harder for them, for they have strayed from the path.

I am no prude and not a mother hen. But I think it is proper to say something in a respectful tone when I see the Lords' name being used in vain. This reaction is not what I expected.

I will let this go now. I thought I might get a few people to think about what they type. Guess not - I appologize for wasting the time of all you 'adults'.